Perfect reason why the death penalty exists

Jail would accomplish that as well.

Sorry, but the lives of these children are practically ruined. Not only that, God knows what kind of STD's these fuckers had and transmitted to these children.

Jail would let these people live with shelter and 3 meals a day. Not so bad. Death would send these bastards straight to hell.

Killing a person doesn't fix the childrens lives or get rid of potential std's. Those that think prisom is "not so bad" have never been in prison.

In comparison to death? And what, pray tell, is YOUR vast experience of prison?

And why would you want to lie to the poor kid like that?

Where's the lie? The perpetrator can somehow get the kids from jail?

Don't think we all didn't notice the way you assiduously avoided responding to the posts pointing out that prison inmates get released and/or escape all the time. Disingenuous much?

No, I don't think I was disingenuous. I acknowledged that people will be released from prison or escape, while also acknowledging that that doesn't mean that they should be killed.

I'm aware that vengeance makes people feel good sometimes, but that doesn't mean it's justice.

Who says? And who made YOU the arbiter of what is vengeance and what is justice? To my way of thinking, vengeance would have been if I had hunted the sack of shit down personally and stuffed him in a wood chipper. Justice is when the police arrest him, the courts give him a fair jury trial, the judge sentences him, and then the prison sticks a needle in his arm and puts him down like the sick dog he was. Who are you to say different?

State sanctioned killing can only be vengeance because it serves no other "benefit" other than to make the victim feel good.

And who says that the definition of justice is "doesn't make anyone feel better or safer"? Where is THAT written? And if the legal and justice system doesn't have a responsibility to make the citizens feel safer, then what responsibility DOES it have? What other benefit does it actually need?

Just to clarify, Kevin, I totally hear your argument but I just flat out reject it in cases like this and some others.

You know some liberal group is going to defend these miscreants. I bet the ACLU is already preparing a case to defend them because they were sexually abused as children and they shouldn't be held accountable for their actions.

Who says? And who made YOU the arbiter of what is vengeance and what is justice? To my way of thinking, vengeance would have been if I had hunted the sack of shit down personally and stuffed him in a wood chipper. Justice is when the police arrest him, the courts give him a fair jury trial, the judge sentences him, and then the prison sticks a needle in his arm and puts him down like the sick dog he was. Who are you to say different?

State sanctioned killing can only be vengeance because it serves no other "benefit" other than to make the victim feel good.

And who says that the definition of justice is "doesn't make anyone feel better or safer"? Where is THAT written? And if the legal and justice system doesn't have a responsibility to make the citizens feel safer, then what responsibility DOES it have? What other benefit does it actually need?

The justice system's responsibility is to punish those that break the law, not murder them.

The fact that the prison system is flawed doesn't mean that state sanctioned murder somehow equals justice.

Hey, Einstein. Murder, by definition, can't be "state-sanctioned", so why don't you spare us the buzzwords and verbal smokescreen?

So you believe killing is justified so long as the government says it's ok?

No, dumbass, I just believe it's not murder because, unlike you, I'm aware of what the words I use mean, instead of just using them wildly for an emotional effect.

And speaking of knowing what the words you use mean, how's about you share with us this lofty, nebulous definition of "justice" you keep prattling about?

once you open the death penalty to crimes that did not result in a death ...it will go crazy...if you allow the death penatly for child molesters ..then what about the mentally handicap.. or others who are not capable of consent by society's terms...what about men who rape?...or someone like madoff ..his actions resulted in ruining the lives of many people...he raped them in a sense, did he not?

i am not a fan of the death penalty the way it is applied in the u.s. i am not a fan of child molesters...i still cannot in good faith call for their deaths..

Just to clarify, Kevin, I totally hear your argument but I just flat out reject it in cases like this and some others.

What are we on here to do if not state and defend our positions on issues? I have absolutely no problem with you disagreeing with me, you're certainly welcome to your opinion.

And? You have a problem with helping the victim feel good after what's been done to them?

If making somebody happy means somebody else has to die then yes I have a problem with it.

Good to know where your sympathy and concern lies. Fuck public safety, we must preserve life at all costs, even if it's utterly worthless AND dangerous to others to keep it around.

Where's the lie? The perpetrator can somehow get the kids from jail?

Don't think we all didn't notice the way you assiduously avoided responding to the posts pointing out that prison inmates get released and/or escape all the time. Disingenuous much?

No, I don't think I was disingenuous. I acknowledged that people will be released from prison or escape, while also acknowledging that that doesn't mean that they should be killed.

No, as a matter of fact, you DIDN'T acknowledge it at all. You just kept blathering about how prison was all it took to protect people from predators forever, and then when it was pointed out that as long as they're alive, there's a chance they'll get out, you just blithely moved on to another line of argument as though nothing was said.

So it doesn't matter if you THINK you were disingenuous or not. You were. Also cowardly.

Hey, Einstein. Murder, by definition, can't be "state-sanctioned", so why don't you spare us the buzzwords and verbal smokescreen?

So you believe killing is justified so long as the government says it's ok?

No, dumbass, I just believe it's not murder because, unlike you, I'm aware of what the words I use mean, instead of just using them wildly for an emotional effect.

And speaking of knowing what the words you use mean, how's about you share with us this lofty, nebulous definition of "justice" you keep prattling about?

If someone on death row is killed by another inmate that is classified as murder. How is it any different if the state kills somebody? That is murder.

Also, it's not polite to call people names simply because you don't agree with them.

No, as a matter of fact, you DIDN'T acknowledge it at all. You just kept blathering about how prison was all it took to protect people from predators forever, and then when it was pointed out that as long as they're alive, there's a chance they'll get out, you just blithely moved on to another line of argument as though nothing was said.

So it doesn't matter if you THINK you were disingenuous or not. You were. Also cowardly.

I fail to see how the potential failings of the prison system make it ok to kill a person because they might escape or might get out.

The justice system's responsibility is to punish those that break the law, not murder them.

Once again, Noah Webster, the justice system, by definition, CANNOT "murder" anyone. If I want fuzzy, childish logic with lots of emotional misuse of words, I'll go debate my 13-year-old.

And by the way, executing them IS punishing them. Might not be the punishment YOU wanted, but that doesn't mean it isn't punishment.

Once again, Noah Webster, the justice system, by definition, CANNOT "murder" anyone. If I want fuzzy, childish logic with lots of emotional misuse of words, I'll go debate my 13-year-old.

And by the way, executing them IS punishing them. Might not be the punishment YOU wanted, but that doesn't mean it isn't punishment.

Yes, killing them would be a way of punishing them. Punishment in the same way somebody out for vengeance might punish them, thus murdering them.

You don't have to tell the child that they're gone forever, you can tell the child that they're in jail and can never hurt them again.

What do you tell them when the molester is released?

Do you support the death penalty when murder takes place?

You tell them that the molester was released, I see no reason not to tell them the truth.

No, I don't.

Forum List

Back