Perfect reason why the death penalty exists

Yes, killing them would be a way of punishing them. Punishment in the same way somebody out for vengeance might punish them, thus murdering them.

Which is just as irrelevant as everything else that comes out of your keyboard, since no one is talking about somebody out for vengeance committing murder. We're talking about society legally deciding to exact justice. By the way, why is it you consider it horrible for an individual to decide that death is the appropriate response to child molestation, but not for YOU, another individual, to decide that it isn't? Seems just as arrogant to me, with a whole lot less justification.

The death penalty can't possibly be anything but the state exacting vengeance on a criminal on behalf of their victim.

I said nothing about your argument being arrogant.

Can't possibly be? WHY can't it possibly be? Because you said so? I notice you have yet to tell us your definitions of "vengeance" and "justice" and explain the difference betwen the two, instead opting to just keep parroting, "Can't be justice, must be vengeance. Can't be justice, must be vengeance", as though we're just supposed to take your word for it.

I didn't say you said mine was arrogant. I said YOURS was. And unjustified.

You don't have to tell the child that they're gone forever, you can tell the child that they're in jail and can never hurt them again.

that's not what happens, typically. They usually get out.

If they're given a life sentence then I can't accurately predict if they'll someday get out, I'm only able to work with the information that I have at the time.

Look at the statistics. Someone who commits THIS crime will definitely get out.

I don't believe in the legitimacy of the state to murder people.

I got that part from your posts. What's your reasoning?

I'm not sure I can make it any clearer than I have. I believe murder is wrong, regardless of whether an individual or the government is the perpetrator.

If your child was murdered you would be ok with justice being the person receiving a 15 year prison sentence, then released? Just trying to understand your POV.

Which is just as irrelevant as everything else that comes out of your keyboard, since no one is talking about somebody out for vengeance committing murder. We're talking about society legally deciding to exact justice. By the way, why is it you consider it horrible for an individual to decide that death is the appropriate response to child molestation, but not for YOU, another individual, to decide that it isn't? Seems just as arrogant to me, with a whole lot less justification.

The death penalty can't possibly be anything but the state exacting vengeance on a criminal on behalf of their victim.

Can't possibly be? WHY can't it possibly be? Because you said so? I notice you have yet to tell us your definitions of "vengeance" and "justice" and explain the difference betwen the two, instead opting to just keep parroting, "Can't be justice, must be vengeance. Can't be justice, must be vengeance", as though we're just supposed to take your word for it.

Well if my opinion is arrogant then yours must be equally as arrogant, and certainly more abrasive.

You don't have to tell the child that they're gone forever, you can tell the child that they're in jail and can never hurt them again.

that's not what happens, typically. They usually get out.

If they're given a life sentence then I can't accurately predict if they'll someday get out, I'm only able to work with the information that I have at the time.

Well, the information available at the time (I doubt you have it, since you have yet to get the information about the definition of "murder", which is a lot easier) is that people who receive life sentences DO, in fact, get released eventually, since it's not the norm for anyone to serve the full sentence they receive. And child molesters don't even get life sentences currently, just so you know.

I got that part from your posts. What's your reasoning?

I'm not sure I can make it any clearer than I have. I believe murder is wrong, regardless of whether an individual or the government is the perpetrator.

If your child was murdered you would be ok with justice being the person receiving a 15 year prison sentence, then released? Just trying to understand your POV.

I've already stated that I'm only human and would probably want vengeance on behalf of my child, but that doesn't mean it's right.

That's not true. The people who loved the individuals also feel vengeance.

Regardless, I don't believe that vengeance equals justice.

And you clearly don't have clue one what either of them IS, other than pretty-sounding noises.

I've already stated that I'm only human and would probably want vengeance on behalf of my child, but that doesn't mean it's right.

One could make the same argument about prison. Holding someone against their will is considered wrong, and yet the state does it to "punish" offenders.

Well if my opinion is arrogant then yours must be equally as arrogant, and certainly more abrasive.

Arrogant it might be. At least it's not unjustified. And once again, it would be impossible with current technology for me to care less than I already do whether or not the likes of you is offended, so why don't you quit sniveling at me about it? This isn't the kindergarten playground.

One could make the same argument about prison. Holding someone against their will is considered wrong, and yet the state does it to "punish" offenders.

The argument certainly could be made, but I'm of the opinion that a person does need to be punished for their crimes.

And you've already made it painfully clear that you can't tell us WHY it would be vengeance rather than justice, or how you decide if something is "right" or not.

The argument certainly could be made, but I'm of the opinion that a person does need to be punished for their crimes.

then two wrongs do make a right?

Arrogant it might be. At least it's not unjustified. And once again, it would be impossible with current technology for me to care less than I already do whether or not the likes of you is offended, so why don't you quit sniveling at me about it? This isn't the kindergarten playground.

Oh I'm not offended, I'm simply letting you know that you're being rude.

Regardless, I don't believe that vengeance equals justice.

And you clearly don't have clue one what either of them IS, other than pretty-sounding noises.

That's not a very nice thing to say.

Good. It wasn't intended to be, and since I, for one, pride myself on precise language usage, I'd be crushed if I had set out to convey contempt for your verbal acuity and inadvertently ended up complimenting you.

Just only so far, and you sure as hell can't tell us how you determine what amount is justice and what amount is vengeance.

Oh I'm not offended, I'm simply letting you know that you're being rude.

Because you somehow thought I was heaping derision upon you without being aware of it? Seriously, do you think EVERYONE is as English-impaired as you are?

Justice in this case, would be for the couple to be raped on tape. I don't know if the death penalty is appropriate because the children are still alive. I certainly would enjoy it if they got the death penalty, thoough.

Just only so far, and you sure as hell can't tell us how you determine what amount is justice and what amount is vengeance.

Serving time for a crime you committed is justice, and being murdered by the state is vengeance for a crime you committed.

Forum List

Back