People who oppose Gay Rights, why do you oppose them?

I don't oppose gay rights.

There, that was easy.

If they want to get pretend married let them, just keep it the hell away from children

My point being, they have the same rights as everybody else.

No extra-special rights, or "let's rename things so we can get in on this action that has nothing to do with who we are or what we do" rights.

The homos don't realize they are being used as political pawns. I have to hand it to the dems, they played the homo card to their advantage
Thus sayist the RW political pawn.

Does anyone consider the filing of a joint income tax form a "cute generality"?

Does anyone consider a spouse collecting SS survivor benefits a "cute generality"?

Does anyone consider Family Leave a "cute generality"?

Does anyone consider being considered the next of kin for your spouse a "cute generality"?

Me, either. You have to be real retard to think so.

You wanted specific examples, I provided specific examples.

Straight married couples enjoy all these government cash and prizes, and much, much more. Cash and prizes established by law which are denied to married gays.

I'm sure if you had all these things taken away from you, you would probably get pretty hot if someone called them "cute generalities".
I wonder if any of them would consider those things "cute generalities" if they had no access to them.

What the heck, we can grant couples that wish to establish a legal relationship the same rights as married people without having to change the definition of marriage. Or, we could just pull the government completely out of the marriage business altogether.

Absolutely! Fill that public pool with concrete so the black kids can't swim.

please knock off the dramatics. Marrying isn't even comparable.
Top Ten Rights Lesbians and Gays Do Not Have that Heterosexuals Have Local Gay Business International Blog

Serious replies only!!
I do not want to offend anyone, so keep your rude comments to yourself. I just want to understand why someone would oppose gay marriage and such, so I figured this was the best way to go about it.
Why are gays hated in America?
gay-rights_14076.jpg

Whether you support government gay marriage or not, government "marriage" is not a "right" it's a privilege, for everyone, not just gays, so thread fail

The SCOTUS isn't making law, they are ruling anti gay laws unconstitutiional. That's their job.

There are no anti-gay laws.

Right...all these rulings across all these states have just been a JR/Dallas dream. :lol:

Closing your eyes and pretending something isn't there does not make it go away.

You want to make a bet that by the end of summer my civil marriage will be valid in all 50 states? I know it will be.

Yes, I'll take that bet. how about $5K?

Sig lines or avatars Fishy, sig lines or avatars. The choice is yours.

is that your way of ducking the bet that you proposed?
I too would like to take an avatar or sig line bet. Not that your money isn't any good....but.....your money isn't any good. :D

Serious replies only!!
I do not want to offend anyone, so keep your rude comments to yourself. I just want to understand why someone would oppose gay marriage and such, so I figured this was the best way to go about it.
gay-rights_14076.jpg

Whether you support government gay marriage or not, government "marriage" is not a "right" it's a privilege, for everyone, not just gays, so thread fail
Many Supreme Court decisions disagree with you.

Serious replies only!!
gay-rights_14076.jpg

Many Supreme Court decisions disagree with you.

And?

No one opposes gay rights. Gays have exactly the same rights as everyone else. What gays want are not rights but the liberty to marry whom they choose. I am for all rights and liberties.

And yet the Supreme Court has ruled over a dozen times that marriage is a fundamental right, not a fundamental liberty.

Are you saying that SCOTUS has ruled over a dozen times that Same Sex Marriage is a fundamental Constitutional right? Case(s) please?

Serious replies only!!
gay-rights_14076.jpg

I'm a democrat and I oppose gay rights such as the rightful bear arms. The right to start a business and get rich. I oppose all sorts of rights for gays. In fact, since these rights are held by gay and straight people I oppose these rights for everyone.

THE RABBI SAID:

“I'm opposed to special rights for any group. Currently gays have exactly the same rights as anyone else.”

This is unsurprisingly ignorant and wrong.

No one is advocating 'special rights' for anyone; gay Americans seeking acknowledgment and respect for their comprehensive civil rights is not to seek 'special rights.'

The issue is not that gay Americans have the same rights as everyone else, as indeed they do; the issue concerns states' unwarranted violation of the civil rights of gay Americans by disallowing them access to marriage law they're eligible to participate in.

SASSYIRISHLASS SAID: ↑

“What rights are you talking about?”

For gay Americans the right to due process and equal protection of the law, where to deny gay Americans access to marriage law violates both.

Serious replies only!!
gay-rights_14076.jpg

Well opposing gay rights and hating gays are not synonomous at all. But that aside I actually don't oppose gay marriage (I really don't care about it and think it should be left to the states) but I do oppose it being imposed on others - like the florist or the baker cases. I wont belabor it because it could go on forever when someone says in response -- well would you let them refuse to serve black people? I answer no I would not but the two situations are completely distinguishable. Everyone who wants to try to acquire some new right want to hitch their little wagon to the civil rights star and claim that to deny them is akin to the racism that blacks faced. Its nonsense and to equate the black experience in America with the gay experience is to really show a lot of disrespect to what black people went through. They aren't comparable.

Some people - not me -- oppose gay marriage on religious grounds -- to me that doesn't mean they hate gays.

And some people - me included - thinks the last thing we need is the creation of another suspect class under the Equal Protection clause able to bring all sorts of wasteful litigation over a right many don't feel should exist.

And I don't think these gay efforts to try to force out people in high profile positions who hold differing views really helps the cause in the long run.

One other thing -- I don't understand why Obama gets any credit for the legalization of gay marriage rights . Whatever you think of his political expedient flip flopping on the issue, the expansion of gay marriage rights has had nothing to do with him -- its been done by judicial activism in the courts . Just remember that when you hear someone scream about conservative judicial activism and remember that if you live by the whim of a few unelected, out of touch people you can die by it just as easily. Fact is the vast majority of states still oppose it and to the extent there is overall public opinion in favor of it it is due to huge support in big urban centers and very little elsewhere. That's why you wont see a gay rights amendment to the constitution because it would never pass -- which is just constitution speak for the fact that it doesn't have enough support

No one opposes gay rights. Gays have exactly the same rights as everyone else. What gays want are not rights but the liberty to marry whom they choose. I am for all rights and liberties.

And yet the Supreme Court has ruled over a dozen times that marriage is a fundamental right, not a fundamental liberty.

Are you saying that SCOTUS has ruled over a dozen times that Same Sex Marriage is a fundamental Constitutional right? Case(s) please?

No, that isn't what I said. I said marriage has been declared a fundamental right. As for cases, try Loving v Virginia, Turner v Safley and Zablocki v Wisconsin.

What rights are you talking about?
Equal protection of the laws.
Gays have all the protections straight people do. Please cite a law that does not protect a gay person.
Social Security survivor benefits.

That was easy!
ANy gay person married to a member of the opposite sex collects social security survivor benefits. WHy would you thnk otherwise?
Any gay person married to a member of the same sex does not collect SS survivor benefits.

You are being your usual dishonest and obtuse self.
A hetorosexual person married to a member of the same sex does not collect ss survivor benefits either. ie equal.

Forum List

Back