People Who Hold Doors Open For Others

You're walking out of a building. You are thirty or forty feet from the door. In the doorway is some clown who is also leaving the building. He glances back, over his shoulder, and sees you coming. Remember - you are thirty or forty feet away from the door. What does he do? He stands there, holding the door open for you. He also is staring intently at your face with this "gee, aren't I a nice guy because I'm holding the door for you?" expression on his stupid mug.

Now, you feel obligated to pick up the pace in order to reduce the amount of time Mr. Good Guy has to stand there with his arm straight out at an awkward angle, holding the door open.

I, for one, resent this. I, for one, don't want to feel obligated to pick up the pace, just because some moron with a kind heart thinks he's doing me a favor by holding the door open for me. I don't need him to hold the door open. I am perfectly capable of opening my own door. I am also perfecly capable of catching it as it comes at me in the event the person in front of me elects not to hold the door open for me. No problem.

I wonder sometimes, if these good samaratins ever stop to think that, by holding doors open for folks who are long distances away from the door involved, they are putting the other person in the position of having to either walk much faster than they otherwise intended or appear to be a jerk for not doing so.

The critical part of my criticism here has to do with the long distance between the door and the person it is being held open for. If someone is right in front of you, yes - then holding the door open is probably the proper thing to do. But NOT when you are 30 or 40 feet away from the door.

It's not worth the trade-off to me. Walk out the door and keep going. Not necessary to hold it for me, thank you very much.

Anyone else ever get bothered by this?

People going out of their way to be polite annoys you?!

Man, you must be truly lacking in real problems.

I admit that the 40' hold the door type is rather weird, though.

Perhaps they're just lonely and need to connect with somebody, even if the connection is nothing more than a simple "Thanks"

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?

When ever my wife and I go anywhere in the car or truck, I always open her door and close it for her after she has gotten in. It took her two months to train me this way, but I do it now as a matter of routine. She used cheese as a reward when I did it right. I love cheese. I'll do anything for cheese.

in the real world, i hold the door open for everyone. if i am first to the door.
and of course not for a long file of people. someone has to take over then.
i will also walk through a door held open by everyone, nod a thank you and that's it.

in the e-world, i sometimes open huge ass doors with my posts.
but i am not responsible when the ususal suspects can't manage to walk through it, but instead repeatedly hit their intelligent e-heads on the door-posts.

No. I hold the door for women, children, and men.

It's just good manners.

Some say thank you, some don't.

I like it when someone holds the door for me too.

I agree. But when the person coming towards the door is 30 or 40 feet away? Come on.

You're just easy . . . ;)

I think getting upset about this would require me to invest more thought and energy into it that it deserves. Of course, I don't feel the slightest bit compelled to walk any faster, either.

I try to always hold doors open for the ladies, nowadays they just don't expect it .

For guys, eh.. if they happen to be there, close to the same time..
I expect it and I'm a lady! It pisses me off royally when a man won't hold the door for me. A lot of times I may mumble something under my breath ... something in regards to not being raised correctly!

How about elevator doors?
What is the proper etiquette for when elevator doors open.

In my eyes, the folks waiting to get on should stand the fuck back and allow the folks already on the elevator to get off. In my place of employment, I use the elevator quite a bit. ( though I could be using the stairs ) Anywho, I get so angry when the doors open and I'm about to step off onto the floor when folks come plowing in. Argh!

What I find to be OH so polite is if a gentleman may be standing with me waiting for the elevator to arrive, when the door opens he sticks his arm in to keep the door open and allows me to enter first. I always offer a smile and a thank you. There is something so sweet about a gentleman. Awwwwwww

In my eyes, the folks waiting to get on should stand the fuck back and allow the folks already on the elevator to get off. In my place of employment, I use the elevator quite a bit. ( though I could be using the stairs ) Anywho, I get so angry when the doors open and I'm about to step off onto the floor when folks come plowing in. Argh!

What I find to be OH so polite is if a gentleman may be standing with me waiting for the elevator to arrive, when the door opens he sticks his arm in to keep the door open and allows me to enter first. I always offer a smile and a thank you. There is something so sweet about a gentleman. Awwwwwww

I can't believe you just used the "F" bomb, I don't think I've ever seen you do that on here! :lol:

I can't believe you just used the "F" bomb, I don't think I've ever seen you do that on here! :lol:
Oh, I think I have. Somewhere.
It's one of my life's little irritations that sometimes gets the better of me.

I can't believe you just used the "F" bomb, I don't think I've ever seen you do that on here! :

The best thing about that word is: if you don't use it very often, when you do use it, it shocks the hell out of people.

(and turns some on! :lol: )

Aww just let a SBD one slip out.

you would hate the south...i hold open doors for people...hell we even get up from a seat to hold the door....

i thank anyone who hold or opens the door for me....

as echo said...good manners

What she said :). I was tought from an early age to hold the door for everyone. Especially women and the elderly. Not saying women can't open their own doors.. It's just a respect for teh ladies thing :]. Like Echo and Strolling said: Good manners!

Last edited:
I can't believe you just used the "F" bomb, I don't think I've ever seen you do that on here! :

The best thing about that word is: if you don't use it very often, when you do use it, it shocks the hell out of people.

(and turns some on! :lol: )

Talkin' about the word 'fuck' and getting off ( an elevator ) and the shock and awe of it all! I love it! But for George, I'm not going to get off topic anymore than I have.

you would hate the south...i hold open doors for people...hell we even get up from a seat to hold the door....

i thank anyone who hold or opens the door for me....

as echo said...good manners

What she said :). I was tought from an early age to hold the door for everyone. Especially women and the elderly. Not saying women can't open their own doors.. It's just a respect for teh ladies thing :]. Like Echo and Strolling said: Good manners!

Rather than looking at it as "oh, he thinks I'm weak and helpless because I'm a woman", I think of having doors opened for me this way: Queen Elizabeth probably never opens HER own doors.

Aww just let a SBD one slip out.

Women don't fart. They don't poop either.

[email protected] had no clue what sbd was....now i get it...

are you really in so much of a rush to get thru life to worry about this....again you would hate the south..if a call is a wrong number you can still end up talking for 20 minutes....of course we are still a very very small town....where as yall have 6 degrees of seperation we have like 2 at the most...

are you really in so much of a rush to get thru life to worry about this....again you would hate the south..if a call is a wrong number you can still end up talking for 20 minutes....of course we are still a very very small town....where as yall have 6 degrees of seperation we have like 2 at the most...

A 20 minute convo on a wrong number? :lol:

Well yeah. What's wrong with that?

Put it this way...

If you're calling me, and you got a wrong number, you got about 3 seconds to pique my interest after I've informed you that you have the wrong number, if you want a 20 minute convo with me.

Put it this way...

If you're calling me, and you got a wrong number, you got about 3 seconds to pique my interest after I've informed you that you have the wrong number, if you want a 20 minute convo with me.

Put it this way...

If the clumsy caller had a female (girly, mid twenties) voice, how much would that tip the odds in her favour, Paulie?

Forum List

Back