People Who Hold Doors Open For Others

Well yeah. What's wrong with that?

Put it this way...

If you're calling me, and you got a wrong number, you got about 3 seconds to pique my interest after I've informed you that you have the wrong number, if you want a 20 minute convo with me.

Put it this way...

If the clumsy caller had a female (girly, mid twenties) voice, how much would that tip the odds in her favour, Paulie?

That's part of those 3 seconds.

Some just have an easier 3 seconds than others.

when one is on an elevator...the people gettng on should wait for everyone who is exiting to do so....they should not rush the elevator...men should of course hold the door of said elevator and ask the ladies which floor they need and push the buttons....

yea it is a small town paulie...a very small town...and everyone is named honey or sweetheart

That's part of those 3 seconds.

Some just have an easier 3 seconds than others.

What about background noise?

Such as: reving engines, meat sizzling, gunfire, slot machines, N.A.S.A countdown or sex.

It's in your hands.

Last edited:
when one is on an elevator...the people gettng on should wait for everyone who is exiting to do so....they should not rush the elevator...men should of course hold the door of said elevator and ask the ladies which floor they need and push the buttons....

yea it is a small town paulie...a very small town...and everyone is named honey or sweetheart

Or Cletus.

Wow.. All this bitching about someone making an extra effort just to be polite, when more often than not people are just usually inconsiderate assholes?

A simple "That's ok - go ahead. Thanks anyway, tho." would probably be your complete undoing... :eusa_eh:

This is America we're talking about here, Dis. Where time is money and the weak are exploited.

Go figure, as you hurried and impatient American's would say.

This is America we're talking about here, Dis. Where time is money and the weak are exploited.

Time IS money, and the weak ARE exploited mostly because they ALLOW it.

What does that have to do with having *basic* good manners?

Manners are a by-product of ambition.

Greed has overwhelmed the American dream. Manners are therefore redundant.

Resistance is futile. Not to mention impolite.

Manners are a by-product of ambition.

Greed has overwhelmed the American dream. Manners are therefore redundant.

Resistance is futile. Not to mention impolite.

Baloney.

You touch my money, or somehow try and stop me from making more, I'll tear your limbs completely off, but I'll call 911 for you on my way out while telling you to have a nice day. :)

The ones I hate are the people going down an escalator who stop to look around when they reach the bottom..

Where do they expect you to go?

What does stick in my craw (note to self, clean craw Saturday) is when people get on a travelator and then stand, they can not be bothered to move their fucking legs.

Even going down!

I want to yell out "come you lazy fucks gravity will do most of the work for you!"

One reason my wife won't go shopping with me after my sixth beer.

You're walking out of a building. You are thirty or forty feet from the door. In the doorway is some clown who is also leaving the building. He glances back, over his shoulder, and sees you coming. Remember - you are thirty or forty feet away from the door. What does he do? He stands there, holding the door open for you. He also is staring intently at your face with this "gee, aren't I a nice guy because I'm holding the door for you?" expression on his stupid mug.

Now, you feel obligated to pick up the pace in order to reduce the amount of time Mr. Good Guy has to stand there with his arm straight out at an awkward angle, holding the door open.

I, for one, resent this. I, for one, don't want to feel obligated to pick up the pace, just because some moron with a kind heart thinks he's doing me a favor by holding the door open for me. I don't need him to hold the door open. I am perfectly capable of opening my own door. I am also perfecly capable of catching it as it comes at me in the event the person in front of me elects not to hold the door open for me. No problem.

I wonder sometimes, if these good samaratins ever stop to think that, by holding doors open for folks who are long distances away from the door involved, they are putting the other person in the position of having to either walk much faster than they otherwise intended or appear to be a jerk for not doing so.

The critical part of my criticism here has to do with the long distance between the door and the person it is being held open for. If someone is right in front of you, yes - then holding the door open is probably the proper thing to do. But NOT when you are 30 or 40 feet away from the door.

It's not worth the trade-off to me. Walk out the door and keep going. Not necessary to hold it for me, thank you very much.

Anyone else ever get bothered by this?
I think you either exagerate the distance or the frequency of this extreme event.
Don't pick up the pace, just maintain; don't let folks pressure you into being or doing what you aren't naturally inclined to.

On the other hand I have paused traffic with my vehicle to let someone safely walk across a traffic lane in a parking lot, and have them suddenly rush or trot to clear the lane ... and I wonder why they don't just enjoy the gesture; two or three seconds can't matter all that much. Some do and some don't. Maybe the most self conscious have the most problems in this regard. Women seem to feel more confortable than men do in this situation.

When somebody extends a courtesy like holding up traffic for me to cross or holding open the door, I confess to feeling obligated to quicken my pace. Otherwise I feel I am being discourteous in return for the extended courtesy.

And if George is standing there holding the door open for me while I'm some 40-50 feet away, I would still thank him for the courtesy. I have also had strangers quicken their pace to rush past me or go out of their way to open a door for me when I had my hands full. Such courtesies make the world a more pleasant place.

I do sort of see his case when the distance is excessive enough to make it feel unnatural and awkward though. And I feel funny having a man get up to offer me a chair or seat especially when he is older than I am. At the same time, being raised with courtesies of the South, I am appalled when kids sit firmly planted in the only available seating when adults, especially elderly adults, are required to stand.

Still, I prefer courtesy that makes the world more pleasant rather than a world in which there is little or no courtesy.

I can put up with a few over eager souls who overdo it. :)

You're walking out of a building. You are thirty or forty feet from the door. In the doorway is some clown who is also leaving the building. He glances back, over his shoulder, and sees you coming. Remember - you are thirty or forty feet away from the door. What does he do? He stands there, holding the door open for you. He also is staring intently at your face with this "gee, aren't I a nice guy because I'm holding the door for you?" expression on his stupid mug.

Now, you feel obligated to pick up the pace in order to reduce the amount of time Mr. Good Guy has to stand there with his arm straight out at an awkward angle, holding the door open.

I, for one, resent this. I, for one, don't want to feel obligated to pick up the pace, just because some moron with a kind heart thinks he's doing me a favor by holding the door open for me. I don't need him to hold the door open. I am perfectly capable of opening my own door. I am also perfecly capable of catching it as it comes at me in the event the person in front of me elects not to hold the door open for me. No problem.

I wonder sometimes, if these good samaratins ever stop to think that, by holding doors open for folks who are long distances away from the door involved, they are putting the other person in the position of having to either walk much faster than they otherwise intended or appear to be a jerk for not doing so.

The critical part of my criticism here has to do with the long distance between the door and the person it is being held open for. If someone is right in front of you, yes - then holding the door open is probably the proper thing to do. But NOT when you are 30 or 40 feet away from the door.

It's not worth the trade-off to me. Walk out the door and keep going. Not necessary to hold it for me, thank you very much.

Never have I resented this in the least. Personally, I hold doors open for others. It is the considerate thing to do.

If this happens and I don't feel like rushing, I give a big smile, say thanks, and ask them to go ahead. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they remain at the door. I don't feel any obligation to rush at that point (I usually do, anyway).

Give it a shot.

I imagine you have been holding doors open your entire life Ms Mondo.

I may not own it, but I do know class when I see it.

How about those bitchy broads that don't even acknowledge your effort....

No thanks, no wink, no head nod, no smile and they usually smell bad also...:wtf:

George, George! You never cease to amaze me. I am more bothered if someone slams a door in my face!
I love good manners, I hold doors, and thank people for holding for me.

You crotchety thang you.
well, we've always known he was a curmudgeon

;)

No. I hold the door for women, children, and men.

It's just good manners.

Some say thank you, some don't.

I like it when someone holds the door for me too.

I agree. But when the person coming towards the door is 30 or 40 feet away? Come on.

You're just easy . . . ;)

And I will bet with you being a cheapskate, you have never tipped em either?

We were just on vacation and used the subway system a lot. Everyday in one part, there was a guy holding the door open with one hand and a cup for tips in the other.

Not that anyone ever has money handy running through there.

Forum List

Back