PD Fined For Hiring Only American Citizens

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
The intention, Denver officials said, was benevolent.

The Denver Sheriff’s Department set out to hire scores of deputies last year to lessen the burden on its staff and cut millions in overtime.

It advertised for prospects, and included U.S. citizenship as a requirement.

By this past spring, it had hired 200 deputies.

The Justice Department did not congratulate the agency – instead, it slapped Colorado’s largest sheriff’s department with a $10,000 fine and a host of steps it must take to address what was described as discriminatory hiring.

In a summary of the settlement on its website, the Justice Department said that in insisting on citizenship, the Denver Sheriff’s Department violated an anti-discrimination provision in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) that forbids employers from hiring only U.S. citizens except in cases where it is mandated “by law, regulation, executive order or government contract.”

The Justice Department said that the opportunity to work for the department should be open to anyone with the necessary skills who is authorized to be employed in the United States. That could be a legal permanent resident who has not naturalized, for example, or someone on a temporary visa who has a work permit.

-------------------------------------------

Your thoughts?

LEO's have to carry firearms. Firearms are not allowed to non citizens. Resident aliens can own firearms, but it is difficult.

LEO's have to carry firearms. Firearms are not allowed to non citizens. Resident aliens can own firearms, but it is difficult.

In Colorado, any legal resident, including green card holders, can carry a gun, and get a CCW permit.

I don't think the Trump Justice department would pull this stunt. Why would we look for non-citizens to be hired for law enforcement positions?
Not all discrimination is bad.

No link of course

You need a link??

You're incapable of researching it yourself?

You expect somebody to lead you to it?

US: Denver Sheriff Illegally Excluded Non-Citizens in Hiring

Next time, don't be so fucking lazy.

Or, call your congressman and ask them to set up a Dept of Links for the Terminally Lazy
Oops the link showed that this had nothing to do with illegals, and required the department to look at people with LEGAL work permits.

Thanks. I guess the thread can end now. :thup:

Interesting ---- there isn't a single - not one, nada, nil, zilch - reference to "illegal immigrants:"

Why don't you actually read what is posted?

Or, is your mind so twisted that you can only see things from one perspective?

But -it's obvious that, since this isn't about the oppression of illegal immigrants, you have nothing to contribute.

So --- go away.

No link of course

You need a link??

Or, call your congressman and ask them to set up a Dept of Links for the Terminally Lazy
Oops the link showed that this had nothing to do with illegals, and required the department to look at people with LEGAL work permits.

This thread isn't about illegals, it's about non-citizens.

This one had my head spinning faster than Linda Blair's in the Exorcist. Non citizens on a police force wouldn't give me a warm and fuzzy.

No link of course

You need a link??

Ah gotcha. Then this was a matter of the law not being followed.

I guess I'd prefer for citizens to be hired, unless there are legal permanent residents who are better qualified and would be expected to do a better job.

That was easy.

The Denver Sheriff’s Department set out to hire scores of deputies last year to lessen the burden on its staff and cut millions in overtime.

The Justice Department did not congratulate the agency – instead, it slapped Colorado’s largest sheriff’s department with a $10,000 fine and a host of steps it must take to address what was described as discriminatory hiring.

In a summary of the settlement on its website, the Justice Department said that in insisting on citizenship, the Denver Sheriff’s Department violated an anti-discrimination provision in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) that forbids employers from hiring only U.S. citizens except in cases where it is mandated “by law, regulation, executive order or government contract.”

The Justice Department said that the opportunity to work for the department should be open to anyone with the necessary skills who is authorized to be employed in the United States. That could be a legal permanent resident who has not naturalized, for example, or someone on a temporary visa who has a work permit.

Your thoughts?
I suppose they'll be compensated now. That's insane.

No link of course

You need a link??

Ah gotcha. Then this was a matter of the law not being followed.

I guess I'd prefer for citizens to be hired, unless there are legal permanent residents who are better qualified and would be expected to do a better job.

That was easy.
Perhaps you could tell us your attitude toward those of us of faith
and the nazi attitude.
And which one aligns the closest to nazism

I don't think the Trump Justice department would pull this stunt. Why would we look for non-citizens to be hired for law enforcement positions?
Not all discrimination is bad.

That could lead to a conflict of interest. What if you hire a non legal citizen, and a case under his authority brings the attention af a suspect who is found to be an illegal alien with no papers?

All areas surrounding an enforcement of law, should be held by individuals who are proven capable of following Federal law regarding a respect for the citizenship process in this country.

No link of course

You need a link??

Did you even read the information the op provided? There was a clear requirement to hire only those who have acquired US Citizenship, or are themselves citizens. Naturally that would make those who only have working permits ineligible. That doesn't take an Einstein to be able to connect the dots in this discussion.

Your thoughts?
Given the flood of "bogus" news, I am wondering where the OP got this info. I am a native Denverite, and this is the first time I heard of this issue. Not that it would surprise me, the way the city and county (Denver) has bent over backwards and sold itself out to the illegal alien liberal agenda.

Your thoughts?
This isn't good. It could lead to having members of ISIS on our police force. ISIS pulling us over for a broken taillight. ISIS helping get cats out of trees and eating all the donuts so there's no more left for anyone else.

In Colorado, any legal resident, including green card holders, can carry a gun, and get a CCW permit.

Federal law states that ONLY Green Card holders may possess firearms. Federal Law trumps State law.

https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/usao-ut/legacy/2013/06/03/guncard.pdf

Not in a republic it doesn't. In a republic states use to have their own laws and the sheriff is the ultimate law of the land in his own county. Now that this is a communist nation feds control everything.

Federal law states that ONLY Green Card holders may possess firearms. Federal Law trumps State law.

https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/usao-ut/legacy/2013/06/03/guncard.pdf

Green Card = legal resident.

I don't think Spare Change was talking about people on tourist or work visas.

Forum List

Back