Pay off our debt

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Againsheila, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Here's an idea, let's have a telethon to help pay off our debt. People can volunteer to pay extra, if they can afford it. Once it paid off, everyone currently in office should be fired and not allowed to come back. All new people should be elected with the stipulation that they must balance the budget, any debts from here on out are their responsibility. It's not their money, it's ours.

2. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,356
    You might be on to something here.

Instead of a telethon (that's for old folk) -- we could have Reps vs Dems on Survivor "the Potomac", with folks PAYING for the next episode via phone tags or call-in. Make those liers and thieves do HONEST work for a change. You could even have pledge-offs where folks donate to their favorite team to get fire or a chicken.. ((Just the thought of a $5M chicken kind fits the cause don't it?) Let them camp in NE DC parks and see truly if there are ANY survivors.

Or how about just a FEDERAL lottery with scratch-offs of your favorite local representative? And a big cash Lottery for which the winner has to pay 60% of the proceeds BACK to the IRS?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    If it was me, I'd require the increases in gov't spending be capped at 2.5%, which in ten years would balance the budget. No need to immediately balance it, and risk another recession or even a depression. No need to raise taxes either, although if it was me I'd throw out all the tax deductions, exemptions, breaks, and loopholes. And then I'd lower taxes to be more competitive with the rest of the world and stop taxing profits earned overseas like every other advanced economy does.

Can't say as I'm real crazy about lotteries and such. That ain't really the answer, doubtful you could raise enough money that way, or should.

4. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    I would be ok with replacing everyone in congress.

5. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    You’re obviously not seeking a serious response to this; it’s merely a pointless fantasy.

6. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Argentina paid for the Fauklands War with a telethon. Why is it unreasonable for us to use the idea?

7. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    Well, for starters:

Once it paid off, everyone currently in office should be fired and not allowed to come back.

What authority will dictate to the many states and their voters whom they’ll send to Congress?

All new people should be elected with the stipulation that they must balance the budget…

Again, by what authority? Even if you could get all 50 states to incorporate such a stipulation into their election laws, how will it be enforced without term limits? That would likely require a Constitutional amendment, which would be a bad idea, for a number of reasons.

I was always under the impression you and other conservatives advocated ‘states’ rights,’ where the Federal government shouldn’t be allowed to dictate to the states on matters reserved for the states, such as election laws.

8. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    I'm not a conservative, I'm a moderate. Now, what do you propose we do to pay off the budget and stop congress from creating a new one?

9. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    About those telethons to raise money to pay down the debt, until we finally become fiscally responsible to the point where our spending is under control, a telethon is just another way to increase revenue that the free spenders will try to use. I can deal with it, nothing wrong with asking the public at large to contribute, but at this point I'd rather put my money to better and more effective use than give it to a wasteful and corrupt gov't.

10. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    The beauty of a telethon is it's voluntary.