Paul Ryan and Ayn Rand

I think She has a lot to offer. I think She also had limits.

I wonder if Ryan indicates she is some sort of deity by capitalizing the first letter of a pronoun that refers to her. As I understand it, he no longer requires his staff read her books. Nonetheless, he's a fruitcake for basing so much of his life on a writer of bad fiction.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
Jonathan Chait

Bad Fiction? The FountainHead? Atlas Shrugged? Have you even read the Books? Shame on you. :lol: What did you think of 1984? Animal Farm? Future Shock? Soylent Green?

I wonder if Ryan indicates she is some sort of deity by capitalizing the first letter of a pronoun that refers to her. As I understand it, he no longer requires his staff read her books. Nonetheless, he's a fruitcake for basing so much of his life on a writer of bad fiction.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
Jonathan Chait

Bad Fiction? The FountainHead? Atlas Shrugged? Have you even read the Books? Shame on you. :lol: What did you think of 1984? Animal Farm? Future Shock? Soylent Green?

Read the books in high school.

But, remember, I believe in and work to achieve the opposite of what rw's are - critical thought. Therefore, none of those titles rule my life.

Jonathan Chait

The one and only Rand book I read..was the Fountainhead. And I only got through 3/4 of it because I wanted to tear it to pieces.

But it was on loaner to me from a girl I was dating at the time who thought that I was alot like Howard Rourke.

:lol:

As expected those with the worst to say about Rand haven't read her books but are relying on democrats to tell them what to think.

She was anti communist and we can't have that in today's obamamerica.
She was adamantly anti-Reagan, saying about him:

“Since he denies the right to abortion, he cannot be a defender of any rights.”

So that makes her pro communist?????? I dont see how.

It was a deflection meaning that if you disagree with Rand because of abortion you must also disagree with her on every other principle as well.

She was adamantly anti-Reagan, saying about him:

“Since he denies the right to abortion, he cannot be a defender of any rights.”

It was a deflection meaning that if you disagree with Rand because of abortion you must also disagree with her on every other principle as well.

I disagree a lot with rand on many things LOL I am not a libertarian that doesn't mean I cant appreciate the things that her books inspire.

I disagree a lot with rand on many things LOL I am not a libertarian that doesn't mean I cant appreciate the things that her books inspire.

Which is the way most thinking non democrats feel.

The one and only Rand book I read..was the Fountainhead. And I only got through 3/4 of it because I wanted to tear it to pieces.

But it was on loaner to me from a girl I was dating at the time who thought that I was alot like Howard Rourke.

:lol:

Yeah, I get that.

To the unformed mind, she was interesting. To anyone able to think for themselves, she was anything but.

Funny how some idolize a pro-abortion, pro-nazi doofus.

But then, they hate a man who worked to make life better for children and women and men who were being worked to death by the 1% of his day. That would be, of course, Saul Alinsky.

I have to admit that I didn't know who Alinsky was until the R's went nuts against him. Turns out he was pretty much everything that America is about - all Americans should be able to vote - like Obama believes but the opposite of what some R's believe and work against. He was dead set against Communism - like Obama and he was anti-racism.

Being against him is truly anti-America. If he were alive today, he would still be fighting against voter suppression, just as did then. He would also be fighting against Newt Gingrich saying children should work.

Last edited:
Hmmm - I'm wondering if anything I wrote is against the rules for this forum. I don't think so but if I'm wrong, I will happily delete my post.

Its weird that he req'd all his interns to read those works of fiction then threw her under the bus when his religion gave him a phone call during the womens HC services debate.
Is Paul Ryan for or against Ayn Rand? - CNN.com
Ryan's effort to put daylight between himself and Rand also reeks of history-rewriting. Certainly the speech he gave before the Atlas Society in 2005, in which he toed the Randian line, was no "urban legend." Ryan is no atheist, but atheism was at the core of her philosophy, because the teachings of the Bible simply do not jibe with her belief that selfishness is moral, greed is good and altruism is evil. It's not surprising that Ryan's budget plan, which cuts programs for the poor and middle class while imposing no new taxes on the rich, has been criticized by some in the Roman Catholic Church.

I don't think it hurts to read Rand at all. I find Her Novels a breath of fresh air.

They are incredibly bad fantasies of someone who missed a system of Czars and insanely rich people.

Just saw this post and by golly, you nailed it.

And of course, I really love this -

Jonathan Chait

There is a distinct difference between you and me....

I don't make snap judgements or assumptions about others, particularly those I've not met [you and I would be a good example of that] nor do I allow others to form opinions for me.

The full character, the totality of a man is not based on a single element occurring withing that life. The reading of a single book no more defines Ryan than attending the church of Jeremiah Wright can fully define Obama.

We are influenced all thru life by an abundance of events and Ryan has stated that he was led to the study of economics while in college by Rand's economic principles, not her objectivism philosophy.

You are perfectly free, if you wish, to attempt to reduce Ryan to a single element within the narrowest of views.

I prefer a broader examination of the totality of the man.

But it appears the liberal attempt to find personal dirt on this man has left them with only this one very weak argument.

Forum List

Back