Paul converted by epileptic fit

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
It suggests that the apostle's reference to an ailment which he described as "a thorn in the flesh, which acts as Satan's messenger to beat me, and keep me from being proud" could be the condition.

St Paul converted by epileptic fit, suggests BBC - Telegraph

Paul suffered from Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. According to 2 Corinthians 12:6-9, Paul, in the Bible says: https://www.google.com/webhp?authus...aul+in+the+bible+suffer+from+seizures&spell=1

Epilepsy Lead to the Foundation of Christianity

LIFE AS A HUMAN ? Did Epilepsy Lead to the Foundation of Christianity?

• Banned
It suggests that the apostle's reference to an ailment which he described as "a thorn in the flesh, which acts as Satan's messenger to beat me, and keep me from being proud" could be the condition.

Paul suffered from Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. According to 2 Corinthians 12:6-9, Paul, in the Bible says: https://www.google.com/webhp?authus...aul+in+the+bible+suffer+from+seizures&spell=1

One of the branches of neuroscience that has a lot of controversy associated with is neurotheology, or the neuroscience of religion and religious experiences. Many people feel that explaining such phenomena reduces their value or that it is disrespectful, but research into the field is not attempting to demean religion. Rather, the aim is to help us better understand the brain processes that makes up these remarkable experiences and is common to all of us. Temporal lobe epilepsy is strongly associated with radical spiritual events including visions of figures, vivid memories, auditory hallucinations, intense feelings of religious conviction, and in many cases conversion or return to specific faiths. In fact, many scientists and historians have speculated that St. Paul of Christianity might have suffered from temporal lobe epilepsy.

St. Paul

In the book of the Acts in the bible, there are two separate descriptions of Paul's conversion: one is a third person narrativem, and one is a speech he gave when he was arrested in Jerusalem. Both are brief, they do not present a lot of evidence with which to diagnose him. However, the elements they do contain do support a TLE interpretation.

Both passages describe Paul falling to the ground and experiencing a blinding light. Then he hears a voice claiming to be "Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting" (Acts of the Apostles 22:6-21 ). Afterwards he was unable to see, and he did not eat or drink for three days on his way to Damascus. Following this experience Paul became a devout follower and missionary of Christianity, exhibiting religious fervor and driving purpose.
Auditory hallucinations of divine voices, visions of divine figures, and physical collapse are all common elements of TLE, and they are especially common in documented cases of sudden religious conversion in people with temporal lobe epilepsy. In 2 Corinthians 12, Paul described another experience, in which he was "caught up to paradise and heard sacred secrets which no human lips can repeat." He also claimed that he was "given a thorn in the flesh, an angel of Satan to rack me" to prevent him from becoming too prideful about his "wealth of visions." This story gives two important indications that Paul might have suffered from TLE: there is confirmation that he had recurring, if not frequent visions, and he had an awareness or perception of some illness in himself.

Temporal Lobe Epilepsy and Visual Phenomenon: Religion and Art

Last edited:
So what about the others with him who experienced the vision to some degree?

But Canon Tom Wright, a leading theologian who regularly advises the BBC, said that there was "no shred of evidence whatsoever" for the claims.

The Canon, the next Bishop of Durham, told The Church of England Newspaper: "It is a reductionist way of explaining St Paul's conversion and as a theologian I find it offensive that such an idea could be suggested.

"As someone with a family member who suffers from epilepsy, I also find it personally offensive. This casual use is very dismissive of people who suffer from it."

Elaine Storkey, another leading Church of England theologian, told the programme: "An epileptic fit doesn't turn someone's life around. Something else was happening at a much deeper level."

I'm sorry that you dismiss the obvious credible evidence against such a notion. Wouldn't such a person have an agenda?

I'm sorry that you dismiss the obvious credible evidence against such a notion. Wouldn't such a person have an agenda?

Theologians have no credible evidence. Never had. Never will.

The same thing by the way is reported from Mohammed, who obviously suffered from severe epilepsy.
In a time of superstition and almost zero knowledge about the human condition, illness and so forth it was not really surprising that mental illness (or physical illness that leads to brain malfunctions) was considered the work of evil spirits or gods, optionally.

This option vanished in the dark ages when the god question was settled and the only remaining possibility was the devil. The "obsessed" were simply burned on a stake.

The same thing by the way is reported from Mohammed, who obviously suffered from severe epilepsy.
In a time of superstition and almost zero knowledge about the human condition, illness and so forth it was not really surprising that mental illness (or physical illness that leads to brain malfunctions) was considered the work of evil spirits or gods, optionally.

This option vanished in the dark ages when the god question was settled and the only remaining possibility was the devil. The "obsessed" were simply burned on a stake.

Except Mohammad's followers didn't have this mass hallucinatory seizure to follow God which makes Christianity true and all other religions false.

Except Mohammad's followers didn't have this mass hallucinatory seizure to follow God which makes Christianity true and all other religions false.

Oh yes, they do. I can testify that out of my daily experience in Germany when the muslim extremists, backed up by muslim councils and idiotic immigration activists show up in our cities on a regular basis and try to enforce their realm of Allah to my country.

We have roundabout 5 Million Muslims here, at total 80 Mlns. That makes roughly 6%.
Above 5% its getting really nasty. Do not let this happen to the US.
When you notice that they start making special claims for their community that cut down your rights its is already five past tvelve.

Forum List

Back