Paul converted by epileptic fit

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
A documentary about St Paul has infuriated Christians by suggesting that the apostle's conversion on the road to Damascus may have been caused by an epileptic fit or a freak lightning bolt.

In one of the Bible's most dramatic stories, Paul was transformed from a zealous persecutor of Christianity into one of its most powerful advocates after being struck down by a blinding light.

Trembling and on his knees, he heard the voice of God asking: "Why do you persecute me?" Soon after, he began the missionary journeys that spread Christianity across the Roman Empire.

The documentary, broadcast on BBC1 on May 11 2003, is presented by Jonathan Edwards, the athlete and evangelical. It challenges the belief that Paul's conversion was caused by divine intervention by quoting scientists who link religious experience with epilepsy.

St Paul converted by epileptic fit suggests BBC - Telegraph

Often wondered how many mundane or psychiatric events have been misinterpreted by pre-science era people as religious phenomenae.

• Banned
Often wondered how many mundane or psychiatric events have been misinterpreted by pre-science era people as religious phenomenae.

yes all based on dreams visions and psychotic episodes , The primitives had no understating of science or mental illness.

Bit off-topic, if you forgive me, but speaking of mental illness, can our pet dogs and cats be mentally ill? Watching "My cat from hell" raised the question last night :)

• Banned
Bit off-topic, if you forgive me, but speaking of mental illness, can our pet dogs and cats be mentally ill? Watching "My cat from hell" raised the question last night :)

well I remember someone saying if a cat had the brain of a religious fundamentalist it would go insane

yes all based on dreams visions and psychotic episodes , The primitives had no understating of science or mental illness.

Are you saying that Isaiah, Daniel, Ezekiel, Moses....... were having pyschotic episodes? Really, Guno? If you are not saying that then you cannot accuse Paul of any such illness either. So what shall it be? Were the prophets insane or not?

Are you saying that Isaiah, Daniel, Ezekiel, Moses....... were having pyschotic episodes? Really, Guno? If you are not saying that then you cannot accuse Paul of any such illness either. So what shall it be? Were the prophets insane or not?

What he is saying is that the rest of the world is so fucking stupid that they have misinterpreted incoherent flailings of someone with a brain disorder, and THAT led to the creation of CHRISTIANITY.

What a loon. I seriously believe most of these dingdongs are on psychotropics themselves, and I've no doubt that they ALL had their educations interrupted at the most crucial hour.

A documentary about St Paul has infuriated Christians by suggesting that the apostle's conversion on the road to Damascus may have been caused by an epileptic fit or a freak lightning bolt.

In one of the Bible's most dramatic stories, Paul was transformed from a zealous persecutor of Christianity into one of its most powerful advocates after being struck down by a blinding light.

Trembling and on his knees, he heard the voice of God asking: "Why do you persecute me?" Soon after, he began the missionary journeys that spread Christianity across the Roman Empire.

The documentary, broadcast on BBC1 on May 11 2003, is presented by Jonathan Edwards, the athlete and evangelical. It challenges the belief that Paul's conversion was caused by divine intervention by quoting scientists who link religious experience with epilepsy.

St Paul converted by epileptic fit suggests BBC - Telegraph

^ Why people start sock accounts

What he is saying is that the rest of the world is so fucking stupid that they have misinterpreted incoherent flailings of someone with a brain disorder, and THAT led to the creation of CHRISTIANITY.

What a loon. I seriously believe most of these dingdongs are on psychotropics themselves, and I've no doubt that they ALL had their educations interrupted at the most crucial hour.

Not really no. Wasn't speaking to the origins of religions so much as mistakes people woulda made they explained as supernatural or spiritual. And still make when ignorant of the science behind what they might experience from to time.

When I'm mocking Christianity, I'll write it out so there's no mistake. :)

I don't doubt you're very serious. I think you truly believe that every person except for you down through the ages is a slobbering retard, and that you have a much more *objective* viewpoint from your computer chair, with your semi-education, some 2000 years after the fact.

Yeah. Paul was an epileptic, that's how come all that amazing stuff was said and written.

Example of a mistake people often make is when they think they have a psychic or more specificly, a precognitive experience glimpsing the future. Have those a lot myself and I have to constantly remind myself about how neuroscientists explain them.

The other day I came inside for something and noted the time. When I was back outside sitting on the porch while I had no conscious awareness of the time, my subconscious did. Noticing some people by hte pool smoking, which they're not supposed to, I figured the security guard'll tell them about it when they come on duty. Shortly afterwords, the security guard walked right by.

Some people might interpret this as a glimpse of the near-future. While in fact I merely had a subconscious knowledge of what time it was, and my inner 'chronograph' was keeping pretty good time. But it's easy to see how ancient peoples with no knowledge of these things might mistake that as some kind of religious forewarning like an angel whispering in their mind or somethign along those lines.

Example of a mistake people often make is when they think they have a psychic or more specificly, a precognitive experience glimpsing the future. Have those a lot myself and I have to constantly remind myself about how neuroscientists explain them.

The other day I came inside for something and noted the time. When I was back outside sitting on the porch while I had no conscious awareness of the time, my subconscious did. Noticing some people by hte pool smoking, which they're not supposed to, I figured the security guard'll tell them about it when they come on duty. Shortly afterwords, the security guard walked right by.

Some people might interpret this as a glimpse of the near-future. While in fact I merely had a subconscious knowledge of what time it was, and my inner 'chronograph' was keeping pretty good time. But it's easy to see how ancient peoples with no knowledge of these things might mistake that as some kind of religious forewarning like an angel whispering in their mind or somethign along those lines.

Only if you happen to be psychotic.

Can I call it or can I call it?

I don't doubt you're very serious. I think you truly believe that every person except for you down through the ages is a slobbering retard, and that you have a much more *objective* viewpoint from your computer chair, with your semi-education, some 2000 years after the fact.

Yeah. Paul was an epileptic, that's how come all that amazing stuff was said and written.

How many great artists, writers, and musicians were mentally ill that they wound up commiting suicide? Being mentally ill doesn't prevent you from being great at things. In facts, if you're so great you go down in history it's actually probable you have more than a few screws loose. Sane, well-adjusted people don't typically stand out.

If you read paul's account , science has stated it sounded like paul had manifestations of temporal lobe epilepsy. .and seeing visions and dreams is hardly any proof of reality

If you read paul's account , science has stated it sounded like paul had manifestations of temporal lobe epilepsy. .and seeing visions and dreams is hardly any proof of reality

Paul
born 5-15 AD in Tarsus/Cilicia, died approx. 64 AD in Rome

In old Ireland, epilepsy was known as 'Saint Paul's disease'. The name points to the centuries-old assumption that the apostle suffered from epilepsy.

In his letters St Paul occasionally gives discreet hints about his 'physical ailment', by which he perhaps means a chronic illness. In the second letter to the Corinthians, for instance, he states: 'But to keep me from being puffed up with pride... I was given a painful physical ailment, which acts as Satan's messenger to beat me and keep me from being proud.' (2 Corinthians, 12,7). In his letter to the Galatians, Paul again describes his physical weakness: 'You remember why I preached the gospel to you the first time; it was because I was ill. But even though my physical condition was a great trial to you, you did not despise or reject me.

Paul epilepsy. Famous people who suffered from epilepsy. Saint Paul.

Did Epilepsy Lead to the Foundation of Christianity?
LIFE AS A HUMAN Did Epilepsy Lead to the Foundation of Christianity

Forum List

Back