Patriot Act and your sinus medication

I would have to agree with you there, insein!

I think we should let the oh so loving government play the father role in our lives, don't you?

Maybe Big brother...?

As for not researching foods and various products for their safety, how about this...

I have actually seen nation wide newscasts (I belive it was a CBS owned news station called "K eye") saying that mercury is nutritious. I'm really not joking, I wish I had a link to give you. The headline was "Mercury-Containing vaccines may help, not harm kids." The news cast actually said that the mercury would aid brain development.

What is this insanity?

If we do not stop the tyrannical measures this government is taking, we are surely doomed to repeat the most vile portions of history once again.

insein said:
ITs not the only way. ITs the lazy way. Meth-makers arent going to stop making meth because of the restrictions on sudafed. All this does is hassle a public that just wants relief for their sinus pressure and didnt even know sudafed was used in making meth. Bust the meth labs. Arrest those making it. Stop with these half assed methods of controlling drugs by punishing the populus.

The next step is to ban suphedrine altogether. Then sudafed users will be drug-offenders and face prison time for wanting to relieve their colds. This is madness.

Its honest users like you, fuzzy, that let them get away with it. "If its the only way to stop it." Thats how they pass these ridiculous laws because the honest people don't do anything till its too late. Then they think "oh well it must be for a good reason." Guarantee that within 5 years, some kind of suphedrine ban will be enforced and it will be likened to weed and other illegal drugs. They will say its for the public good to stop the meth-makers when the whole time the meth-makers will be laughing as they continue to make meth. Stop letting the government tell you what is good for you and for everyone else.

That's not what I am saying. I just don't have any better ideas on the meth problem and preventing it, especially since the main ingredient in the products, is used to make the drug. I don't use sudafed anyway because it makes my heart race and I feel worse. And that is the only cold/sinus med approved for pregnancy. So, I usually just have to suffer and use home remedies. So you are lucky, at least you can use it to make you feel better. I can't even when I'm not pregnant.

Restricting access to these meds is at least an attempt to curb the meth producers. It may or may not work in the long run, but at least they are giving it a shot. Better to try and fail than to not try, and risk not succeeding.

If you have any better ideas than what is already being done, I bet your congressman or law enforcement would love to hear them, as would I. Besides, I thought you were only supposed to take those meds for a short period of time, and if symptoms do not improve after x number days, see a doc?

fuzzykitten99 said:
That's not what I am saying. I just don't have any better ideas on the meth problem and preventing it, especially since the main ingredient in the products, is used to make the drug. I don't use sudafed anyway because it makes my heart race and I feel worse. And that is the only cold/sinus med approved for pregnancy. So, I usually just have to suffer and use home remedies. So you are lucky, at least you can use it to make you feel better. I can't even when I'm not pregnant.

Restricting access to these meds is at least an attempt to curb the meth producers. It may or may not work in the long run, but at least they are giving it a shot. Better to try and fail than to not try, and risk not succeeding.

If you have any better ideas than what is already being done, I bet your congressman or law enforcement would love to hear them, as would I. Besides, I thought you were only supposed to take those meds for a short period of time, and if symptoms do not improve after x number days, see a doc?

ITs not just sudafed. ITs the fact that once again, they are hassling honest people to combat criminals. Criminals are not going to stop their criminal activity. So all that ends up happening is honest people get screwed. Sure with the sudafed its filling out your life story but other things like jail time for smoking weed are hurting regular people that arent criminals.

They dont stop at the "just show you ID is all" phase. They move onto the banning and fining phase. Then the jail time phase. Before you know it, another thing that wasnt harming people is now considered illegal because of a few criminals that were crafty enough to outsmart police got away with it. ITs like if the bad kid in class is causing chaos but the teacher cant figure out who is doing it. So the teacher punishes all the kids. The bad kid is still going to be bad because he doesnt care but now youve punished all the good kids as well. Doesnt make sense does it?

insein said:
ITs not just sudafed. ITs the fact that once again, they are hassling honest people to combat criminals. Criminals are not going to stop their criminal activity. So all that ends up happening is honest people get screwed. Sure with the sudafed its filling out your life story but other things like jail time for smoking weed are hurting regular people that arent criminals.

They dont stop at the "just show you ID is all" phase. They move onto the banning and fining phase. Then the jail time phase. Before you know it, another thing that wasnt harming people is now considered illegal because of a few criminals that were crafty enough to outsmart police got away with it. ITs like if the bad kid in class is causing chaos but the teacher cant figure out who is doing it. So the teacher punishes all the kids. The bad kid is still going to be bad because he doesnt care but now youve punished all the good kids as well. Doesnt make sense does it?

i know its not just sudafed. the thing is, most of the other brands have the exact same ingredient in them: pseudophedrine. This is the chemical they are trying to regulate. Tylenol cold&sinus has it, as does even the generic brands. It has to do with that particular ingredient.

Like I said, if you have a better idea, lets hear it.

fuzzykitten99 said:
i know its not just sudafed. the thing is, most of the other brands have the exact same ingredient in them: pseudophedrine. This is the chemical they are trying to regulate. Tylenol cold&sinus has it, as does even the generic brands. It has to do with that particular ingredient.

Like I said, if you have a better idea, lets hear it.

Track down the meth labs through police work. Find who is selling it. Where they are selling it. Then you will trace it back to where they are making it.

This is the lazy way of "deterring" it. ITs not going to stop them. They'll just buy less then they normally would in a shopping spree to avoid suspicion or they will have multiple people go out to different stores and buy small amounts every other day. How are they going to track criminals if they can't tell them from the everyday people with a sinus headache? IF they are actually looking into the patterns of those that buy, then how long before they get a warrant to search the house of a person who has really bad sinus' and buys 2 packs a week of sudafed? They find nothing what then? Sorry for the inconvienance sir/madam as we destroyed your house looking for your illegal meth-lab?

I agree that this law is lazy. If you want to stop meth labs - shut down meth labs. Take all the wasted time used filling out and processing all the forms by customers, employees of pharmacies and the government office workers that enter all the crap in the computer somewhere and I bet we could hire a couple more actual law enforcement agents.

The end result of this will a list of people with head colds and allergies. What good will that do?

kurtsprincess said:
I agree with this concept in theory, but putting it into practice is virtually impossible for me. It's not so much that I worry about others, it's just that I don't have time to worry about myself. I don't know about you Insein........but I'm too busy to research everything available to me to determine whether something is good for me or not. I depend on experts in various fields to make those determinations for me. I barely have enough time to stay up-to-date, and an expert, in my own field of expertise.

It's understandable to want reasonably safe meds. Most people feel that way, which is why private agencies (similar to UL, API, ISO...or maybe just health insurance companies) would fill in if the FDA were abolished. You'd go shopping for meds, and look for a particular seal of approval. Most people do not wish to be guinea pigs, unless you have a deadly illness. In that case, the FDA will do it's damndest to stop you from trying something that's unproven. In some cases, the approval process process for a new drug leaves almost no time left on the patent. No wonder pills are so expensive, and no wonder why people bitch about our expensive "free market" medical system.

fuzzykitten99 said:

It won't work. And we can predict that because drug laws have failed for decades now. Meth will come in from other states, or Mexico.

fuzzykitten99 said:
If you have any better ideas than what is already being done, I bet your congressman or law enforcement would love to hear them, as would I.

I think you're being awfully optimistic. Your congressman is interested in getting his face plastered on the front page of the paper, and in getting bigger budgets for his pet projects. Any solution that reduces government power or spending will be automatically discarded as unworkable.

Forum List

Back