Patriot Act and your sinus medication

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
I had complained about a local ordinance that put Sudafed and other sinus medication behind the counter and limited the number of times you could purchase the stuff....

Well, it looks like it's going to become a national policy

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-03-06-23-35-09

This will be the first time that the Patriot Act will affect me personally, although not much, since I don't buy 300 Sudafeds a month (the proposed limit).... I probably buy about 300 Sudafeds a year....

That having been said, I still support the Patriot Act....

Mr Bush, we who are about to sneeze, salute you!!!!

KarlMarx said:
I had complained about a local ordinance that put Sudafed and other sinus medication behind the counter and limited the number of times you could purchase the stuff....

Well, it looks like it's going to become a national policy

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-03-06-23-35-09

This will be the first time that the Patriot Act will affect me personally, although not much, since I don't buy 300 Sudafeds a month (the proposed limit).... I probably buy about 300 Sudafeds a year....

That having been said, I still support the Patriot Act....

Mr Bush, we who are about to sneeze, salute you!!!!

It's annoying me more and more and more. Went to get some 2 days ago.

Name, address, city, state, zip, drivers license, and phone number. Told them my # is non-published - they were going to refuse to sell it to me. One lousy box of 24 tablets, which will probably last me a month. Hmph.

Surprised they didn't want a fingerprint.

Shattered said:
It's annoying me more and more and more. Went to get some 2 days ago.

Name, address, city, state, zip, drivers license, and phone number. Told them my # is non-published - they were going to refuse to sell it to me. One lousy box of 24 tablets, which will probably last me a month. Hmph.

Surprised they didn't want a fingerprint.
They'll probably make it so that you'll need a prescription for it....

KarlMarx said:
They'll probably make it so that you'll need a prescription for it....

Then I'll just go back to Allegra-D, which was prescription anyway. At least, I can call that in, go thru the drive-thru, and be on my way without filling anything out. :)

Besides terrorism, the bill takes aim at...
This is exactly what many opponates of the patriot act feared.
Why tag this (drugs) to the act? Where's the DEA? What about the war on drugs? Is this an admission that it ain't working? So now, we the mighty Father Government, your protector from terror will protect you from meth...that's just in case you may ever want to make some, otherwise we think you okay!

This is pure BULLSHIT!! This government is out of control!!

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Oh, but I thought it was just for terrorists...

Surprise, surprise, welcome to the new America.

All crime is now terrorism.

Pot dealers? - Terrorists

Topless bar owners? - Terrorists

Selling knock off rubix cubes? - Terrorism

All of these examples of real cases.

...and we know what happens to terrorists. Their rights are stripped, no due process, no 6th ammendment, no 8th ammendment, nothing.

How about our friends in the UK?

The London Guardian reports today... (link)

"Mr Gifford said expanding the use of technology for tracking the movements of cars could lead police to people who had committed other offences in the same way that Al Capone was eventually caught through his income tax evasion. He claimed that for greater safety and "the greater good of society", most people would be prepared to accept "a slight reduction of our liberty"."

How about this?

Wear a T-shirt saying, "Flooded by Katrina! Forgotten by FEMA! What's Next, Mr. Bush?"

- Get a visit from Homeland Security. (link)

How much further will we let it go?

As I always say, government, in the hands of corrupt men, is the single most dangerous tool to be weilded against mankind.

This is about control, pure and simply, and American is dying.

If you think this is bad, just wait for Patriot Act 2. Just wait for the implantable microchips, the surveillance cameras around every corner, faceless, nameless beurocrats watching you everyhwere you go.

Or maybe we should just submit to them, afterall they have shown us their intentions are nothing but for your own good, right?

My friends, we are in grave danger. Why is Halliburton (with $365 million thanks to Homeland Security) building detention centers for "illegal immigrants," or for, according to the New York times, in the "event of a natural disaster or for new programs that require additional detention space."

This is not about republican or democrat, this is about liberty or enslavement, freedom or slavery.

Break the paradigm and stand up for your what your country truly stands for and give a resounding "WE WILL NOT SUBMIT!"

StoptheMadness1 said:
Oh, but I thought it was just for terrorists...

Surprise, surprise, welcome to the new America.

All crime is now terrorism.

Pot dealers? - Terrorists

Topless bar owners? - Terrorists

Selling knock off rubix cubes? - Terrorism

All of these examples of real cases.

...and we know what happens to terrorists. Their rights are stripped, no due process, no 6th ammendment, no 8th ammendment, nothing.

How about our friends in the UK?

The London Guardian reports today... (link)

"Mr Gifford said expanding the use of technology for tracking the movements of cars could lead police to people who had committed other offences in the same way that Al Capone was eventually caught through his income tax evasion. He claimed that for greater safety and "the greater good of society", most people would be prepared to accept "a slight reduction of our liberty"."

How about this?

Wear a T-shirt saying, "Flooded by Katrina! Forgotten by FEMA! What's Next, Mr. Bush?"

- Get a visit from Homeland Security. (link)

How much further will we let it go?

As I always say, government, in the hands of corrupt men, is the single most dangerous tool to be weilded against mankind.

This is about control, pure and simply, and American is dying.

If you think this is bad, just wait for Patriot Act 2. Just wait for the implantable microchips, the surveillance cameras around every corner, faceless, nameless beurocrats watching you everyhwere you go.

Or maybe we should just submit to them, afterall they have shown us their intentions are nothing but for your own good, right?

My friends, we are in grave danger. Why is Halliburton (with $365 million thanks to Homeland Security) building detention centers for "illegal immigrants," or for, according to the New York times, in the "event of a natural disaster or for new programs that require additional detention space."

This is not about republican or democrat, this is about liberty or enslavement, freedom or slavery.

Break the paradigm and stand up for your what your country truly stands for and give a resounding "WE WILL NOT SUBMIT!"

Tell that to a muslim

Let's see, let me guess... because they plan on detaining more illegal immigrants? Isn't that what libs have been criticizing Bush for? Not doing anything about illegal immigration? Well, then there you have, perhaps that answers your question.

What have i said about government? It's only a matter of time before they outlaw something you do everyday. I have bad allergies and my sinus' are always clogged. I used to go through at least 2 boxes of sudafed in a month. Why is it that i could grab a pack of sudafed off the shelf pretty much ANYWHERE and now im interrogated when i goto try and buy some? Now i havent used the stuff in at least 6 months because of the hassle. Politicians have this retarded notion that restricting sudafed is going to cut down on the rising number of meth labs around here. Once again, government punishes law abiding citizens for something criminals are going to do anyway.

ITs only a matter of time before something else we use everyday gets restricted, taxed and fined.

insein said:
What have i said about government? It's only a matter of time before they outlaw something you do everyday. I have bad allergies and my sinus' are always clogged. I used to go through at least 2 boxes of sudafed in a month. Why is it that i could grab a pack of sudafed off the shelf pretty much ANYWHERE and now im interrogated when i goto try and buy some? Now i havent used the stuff in at least 6 months because of the hassle. Politicians have this retarded notion that restricting sudafed is going to cut down on the rising number of meth labs around here. Once again, government punishes law abiding citizens for something criminals are going to do anyway.

ITs only a matter of time before something else we use everyday gets restricted, taxed and fined.

The assholes took cocaine outta coke and lead outta paint too--those bastards ! We can't even use DDT or thalydamide on pregnant women. Maybe if someone had bitched about taking smokers rights they would have at least gotten a small message.

dilloduck said:
The assholes took cocaine outta coke and lead outta paint too--those bastards ! We can't even use DDT or thalydamide on pregnant women. Maybe if someone had bitched about taking smokers rights they would have at least gotten a small message.

Im sorry. I must have missed that public decree that Suphedrine was a deadly substance put out by the board of health.

insein said:
Im sorry. I must have missed that public decree that Suphedrine was a deadly substance put out by the board of health.
actually, psudophedrine is an ingredient used in making meth.

it sucks they have to restrict honest users in need of sudafed because of the rise in meth labs and meth dealing/use. If this is the only way, then well... :huh:

fuzzykitten99 said:
actually, psudophedrine is an ingredient used in making meth.

it sucks they have to restrict honest users in need of sudafed because of the rise in meth labs and meth dealing/use. If this is the only way, then well... :huh:

ITs not the only way. ITs the lazy way. Meth-makers arent going to stop making meth because of the restrictions on sudafed. All this does is hassle a public that just wants relief for their sinus pressure and didnt even know sudafed was used in making meth. Bust the meth labs. Arrest those making it. Stop with these half assed methods of controlling drugs by punishing the populus.

The next step is to ban suphedrine altogether. Then sudafed users will be drug-offenders and face prison time for wanting to relieve their colds. This is madness.

Its honest users like you, fuzzy, that let them get away with it. "If its the only way to stop it." Thats how they pass these ridiculous laws because the honest people don't do anything till its too late. Then they think "oh well it must be for a good reason." Guarantee that within 5 years, some kind of suphedrine ban will be enforced and it will be likened to weed and other illegal drugs. They will say its for the public good to stop the meth-makers when the whole time the meth-makers will be laughing as they continue to make meth. Stop letting the government tell you what is good for you and for everyone else.

Banning sudafed in order to curb meth use is a bit like banning fertilizer in order to stop marijuana. If anyone thinks this is going to curb meth use, please take a refresher course in Economics 101. Guess what's on the rise? Mexican meth, smuggled in across the border.

The history channel had a special on the history of drugs in america, and one of the interesting (and predicatble) side effects of banning coca from coke was that smugglers started importing cocaine instead. After all, hauling soda is difficult due to the bulk, so you get something that's concentrated and easy to hide. And most everything people have said about DDT is a lie, usually by the neo-pagan left. Google up "lies about DDT", it's pretty amazing.

kurtsprincess said:
Just curious.........who should be telling us what is good for us?

If government is the problem, what is the solution?

YOU should be telling YOU what is good for YOU! Why is that such a foreign concept to people? YOU are responisble for YOUR own actions. Stop worrying about others and worry about YOURSELF.

By allowing the government to protect us from all the bad things in the world, we allow them to control us. We then lose control of our lives.

insein said:
YOU should be telling YOU what is good for YOU! Why is that such a foreign concept to people? YOU are responisble for YOUR own actions. Stop worrying about others and worry about YOURSELF.

I agree with this concept in theory, but putting it into practice is virtually impossible for me. It's not so much that I worry about others, it's just that I don't have time to worry about myself. I don't know about you Insein........but I'm too busy to research everything available to me to determine whether something is good for me or not. I depend on experts in various fields to make those determinations for me. I barely have enough time to stay up-to-date, and an expert, in my own field of expertise.

By allowing the government to protect us from all the bad things in the world, we allow them to control us. We then lose control of our lives.

I personally don't feel that the government has protected me from ALL the bad things in the world, but I do appreciate the fact that they are trying to do what is in the best interest of the whole. I guess I feel that I still have a choice to accept their restrictions and to live with the choices I make. That is where I feel I still have control.

I fully understand where you are coming from Insein..........I guess I just haven't reached the point where the restrictions have impacted my life negatively.

kurtsprincess said:
I agree with this concept in theory, but putting it into practice is virtually impossible for me. It's not so much that I worry about others, it's just that I don't have time to worry about myself. I don't know about you Insein........but I'm too busy to research everything available to me to determine whether something is good for me or not. I depend on experts in various fields to make those determinations for me. I barely have enough time to stay up-to-date, and an expert, in my own field of expertise.

I personally don't feel that the government has protected me from ALL the bad things in the world, but I do appreciate the fact that they are trying to do what is in the best interest of the whole. I guess I feel that I still have a choice to accept their restrictions and to live with the choices I make. That is where I feel I still have control.

I fully understand where you are coming from Insein..........I guess I just haven't reached the point where the restrictions have impacted my life negatively.

By doing doing alittle research from a pharm company (By little i mean read the label) then you are determining what is best for you. There still is an FDA to keep DEADLY products from being placed into our food and pharmaceuticals.

However, when we start letting them restrict products that arent harmful because someone can use them to make something harmful, then we open a pandoras box to everything. Next we'll have to show ID to buy household cleaning supplies because of the potential to make a bomb out of them by some wacko. After that, several other common over the counter drugs such as IB and acetametaphyn will be under lock and key due to a property that no one ever realized existed but allows illegal drug developers a cheap supply to make their stuff.

They keep punishing the honest people who dont care about those illegal things and would never think to use these LEGAL products to create illegal ones. They wouldnt even know where to begin if they wanted to.

Bottomline is that if you give the government an inch on these kinds of things, they'll take a mile and then they'll assume the next 10 miles are already theres by default because you gave into the first mile so easy.

Forum List

Back