Past & Present Immigrant Mentality Differences?

NOSAMRETSAM

In search of Light
Jan 22, 2012
Krypton
Now I'm speaking in my general experience. Believe me I deal with many new and long-time immigrants every day. I would like to know how others see it or experience it. Similar? Different?

My great grandparents and grandparents came to this country from Italy LEGALLY. They had hardships, they sacrificed, they even had their steps blown up with dynamite and crosses burned in their yard by the KKK(yes, I said it, I'm white and yes that's the truth). They were discriminated against due to religion and heritage BUT......

They worked HARD, LEARNED TO SPEAK ENGLISH and demanded their children and grandchildren do the same and become Americans. Their goal was to assimilate into American culture and be contributing citizens in every way. They didn't sneak in, they didn't send the money back to the homeland they wanted to escape from so bad and they sure as hell didn't expect this country to bow to them, give them welfare on every level and learn their language.

We are a melting pot but you can keep your heritage and still be a proper, legal US citizen.

Now I'm speaking in my general experience. Believe me I deal with many new and long-time immigrants every day. I would like to know how others see it or experience it. Similar? Different?

My great grandparents and grandparents came to this country from Italy LEGALLY. They had hardships, they sacrificed, they even had their steps blown up with dynamite and crosses burned in their yard by the KKK(yes, I said it, I'm white and yes that's the truth). They were discriminated against due to religion and heritage BUT......

They worked HARD, LEARNED TO SPEAK ENGLISH and demanded their children and grandchildren do the same and become Americans. Their goal was to assimilate into American culture and be contributing citizens in every way. They didn't sneak in, they didn't send the money back to the homeland they wanted to escape from so bad and they sure as hell didn't expect this country to bow to them, give them welfare on every level and learn their language.

We are a melting pot but you can keep your heritage and still be a proper, legal US citizen.

Now as then.

Forum List

Back