Paris to ban all petrol and diesel cars by 2030

It will never happen. Once they get close to that year and 99% of all vehicles still run on fossil fuels, they'll get bitch slapped back into reality.

It will never happen. Once they get close to that year and 99% of all vehicles still run on fossil fuels, they'll get bitch slapped back into reality.
Probably true. People simply don´t agree to electric cars. There was a large program in Spain that featured large savings for people that buy an e-car but the sales remained two-digit. The government must provide the means for the development, it cannot order a development it doesn´t control.

Probably true. People simply don´t agree to electric cars. There was a large program in Spain that featured large savings for people that buy an e-car but the sales remained two-digit. The government must provide the means for the development, it cannot order a development it doesn´t control.

Electric cars will not be viable until charging them takes the same amount of time as filling up an ICE vehicle with fuel.

That, and they really have issues when used in very hot or very cold climates, particularly cold ones. You have to replace all that excess engine heat via the battery, and that cuts into range significantly.

Electric cars will not be viable until charging them takes the same amount of time as filling up an ICE vehicle with fuel.

That, and they really have issues when used in very hot or very cold climates, particularly cold ones. You have to replace all that excess engine heat via the battery, and that cuts into range significantly.
Yes, the technological base must be proper. This can be achieved if the companies work towards that goal. VW and Volvo work to provide their complete lineup electrified by 2030.

An interesting move. The car manufacturers will be pleased of that goes through. On the other hand is that a necessity in the long turn, anyway. France has already the answer for the question where the energy for the increased demand should come from: Nuclear power plants.

Paris to ban all petrol and diesel cars by 2030
I think the policy will work fine in French cities and for travel between cities. Already, one has no need for a car when in those places.

In the rural regions and travel between and among them, I cannot say. I suppose it could work out well, but for it to do so, there must be some combination of the following advancements in transportation technology and/or energy delivery:
  • a faster way to recharge batteries
  • batteries with greater energy capacities
  • a power network whereby cars draw electricity from "third rails" of sorts embedded in the pavement or running above the pavement (as trolleys used to).
France has already the answer for the question where the energy for the increased demand should come from: Nuclear power plants.

Did I miss a major development in automotive technology? Have the French invented nuclear powered cars?

Of course, any long-range plan is subject to change. A lot of it depends on oil prices and improvements in battery technology in the next 20 years. Imagine forecasting modern smart phones 20 years ago, people would have laughed at you.

I think the policy will work fine in French cities and for travel between cities. Already, one has no need for a car when in those places.

In the rural regions and travel between and among them, I cannot say. I suppose it could work out well, but for it to do so, there must be some combination of the following advancements in transportation technology and/or energy delivery:
  • a power network whereby cars draw electricity from "third rails" of sorts embedded in the pavement or running above the pavement (as trolleys used to).
If the batteries are insufficient, the infrastructure should provide the means for an easy exchange at the former patrol stations. This could be faster than refueling.
Also, home recharging over night is a fantastic solution, even if it takes ours.

Did I miss a major development in automotive technology? Have the French invented nuclear powered cars?
Electric energy has a source and it must be sufficient also in case dozens of millions of cars are being electrified. If the source is nuclear and it will be nuclear in France, then the cars are nuclear powered. 70 % of France´s households heat with electric energy, they are nuclear powered households.

If the batteries are insufficient, the infrastructure should provide the means for an easy exchange at the former patrol stations. This could be faster than refueling.
Also, home recharging over night is a fantastic solution, even if it takes ours.

Electric energy has a source and it must be sufficient also in case dozens of millions of cars are being electrified. If the source is nuclear and it will be nuclear in France, then the cars are nuclear powered. 70 % of France´s households heat with electric energy, they are nuclear powered households.

How much do these batteries cost?

How much fuel does an ICE vehicle hold?

A couple of tens of thousands..It's a bank or several hundred rechargeable AA batteries...

You do know ICE means "Internal Combustion Engine" right?

It depends on the vehicle, usually 9-20 gallons.

No I had never heard that before...In the army they were grasshoppers or diesel..

No I had never heard that before...In the army they were grasshoppers or diesel..

A diesel is an ICE, as is a gasoline engine.

A couple of tens of thousands..It's a bank or several hundred rechargeable AA batteries...

Personally, I'd be nervous about trading out my $10,000 battery.

In an exchange system you will not own the battery.

I bought a car with an expensive battery included.

That´s not the point. Your car surely does not support a quick battery change, anyway. If cars and charge stations support the exchange, it will be a minute to do. There could also be a flat rate ensuring cheap driving. The hardest to convince of the environmental necessity will be coal rolling Americans who insist on their right to do bloody stupid things.

That´s not the point. Your car surely does not support a quick battery change, anyway. If cars and charge stations support the exchange, it will be a minute to do. There could also be a flat rate ensuring cheap driving. The hardest to convince of the environmental necessity will be coal rolling Americans who insist on their right to do bloody stupid things.

How are the battery stations going to recharge the depleted batteries?

How are the battery stations going to recharge the depleted batteries?
The batteries will be connected to an energy supply. But it´s a non topic. You stop, eject the empty battery, get a full battery and you start.

Forum List

Back