papers, please - once again republicans are working against freedom

blu

Sep 21, 2009
FOXNews.com - Arizona Immigration Enforcement Bill Stirs National Debate

An Arizona bill that would impose some of the toughest immigration laws in the country is generating a storm of controversy nationwide as it tracks toward the governor's desk.

The Arizona Senate voted Monday to approve the final version of the bill, which was voted up on a party-line vote by the state House last Tuesday. If it's signed by Gov. Jan Brewer, it would give police in the state broad new powers to arrest and charge people suspected of being in the country illegally.

so glad the small government conservatives of the republican party are working to preserve people's freedom

An Arizona bill that would impose some of the toughest immigration laws in the country is generating a storm of controversy nationwide as it tracks toward the governor's desk.

The Arizona Senate voted Monday to approve the final version of the bill, which was voted up on a party-line vote by the state House last Tuesday. If it's signed by Gov. Jan Brewer, it would give police in the state broad new powers to arrest and charge people suspected of being in the country illegally.

so glad the small government conservatives of the republican party are working to preserve people's freedom

Lets see arresting people for breaking the law, that's not really a novel idea. It has been going on for a while now.

Why does that upset you?

Are they stopping everyone? I would think that would be a requirement for the premise to be true....or is it that you just need the votes and don't want illegals being stopped?

Lets see arresting people for breaking the law, that's not really a novel idea. It has been going on for a while now.

Why does that upset you?

since when do people have to carry ID in america at all times? since when could police threaten people with arrest simple because they think they are in the couuntry illegally? how many mexican american citizens will go to jail and face charges, ffines, and court dates unnecessarily once this is enforced?

A legal matter being handled by local and state police IS small goverment. If the federal government were passing legislation that would grant the FBI the authority to handle these matters, then THAT would be an example of BIG government. On a side note, in case I missed something, aren't the police supposed to arrest poeple who are breaking the law?

Why does that upset you?

since when do people have to carry ID in america at all times? since when could police threaten people with arrest simple because they think they are in the couuntry illegally? how many mexican american citizens will go to jail and face charges, ffines, and court dates unnecessarily once this is enforced?

If you're an United States citizen then you should have some form of ID on you, pretty much all the time. I never go anywhere without my driver's license. If you get cought without an ID then you should be held until you can provide documention or until they can determine just who the hell you are.

Don't you think it's important to know who is in our country and whether or not they have a legal right to be here?

No citizen will go to jail or pay a fine unless they are guilty of something. Not having an ID will not get you arrested, it will get you detained until it's determined who you are and whether you have a legal right to be here. So basically those American citizens that don't carry any form of ID will be inconvenienced at most.

How hard is that to understand?

Since when is crossing the border illegally into the USA a Constitutional right?

My mother came here in the mid-50's from Brazil and my Dad had to post a bond with the State Department to prove she wouldn't be a burden on the government, she kissed the ground when she disembarked at JFK so I have not a lot of sympathy for Illegals.

Why does that upset you?

I would guess very few, because if you show your citizenship papers or birth certificate it will never make it to a fine or court date. Getting pretty worked up over nothing.

WASHINGTON - A divided Supreme Court on Monday upheld state requirements that voters present photo identification cards before casting ballots.

Citing different reasons, six of nine justices agreed that Indiana's photo ID requirement represented a valid measure to deter voter fraud. The politically significant decision reaches well beyond Indiana, as other states likewise have been adopting more rigorous voter identification standards.

High court OKs requiring voter photo IDs

ID necessary to participate in elections.

Parolees to be required to carry IDs

CORPUS CHRISTI (AP) - Inmates released early from prison will be required to carry identification cards beginning in January.

Initially, the cards carried by prisoners on parole or mandatory release will be regular state identification cards.

State News - Lubbock Online.com Parolees to be required to carry IDs

Requiring a group to carry ID.

Even though it is a Constitutional right to bear arms, you still need a permit (with ID) to carry.

I don't know anyone who doesn't varry I.D. Even teens without licenses generally have a school tag or a library card, why would anyone leave their wallet at home? Ever?

because why do you need one at all times except for laws like this?

Why does that upset you?

You still don't. Even with this law, if you get picked up, you need only provide proof of who you are. A quick phone call to a relative or friend or even a boss will quickly have you on your way.

Of course, if you don't belong here.........

This is wrong. Making and enforcing immigration law is a federal responsibility. Unfortunately, the federal government has dropped the ball which is the reason for this bill. It doesn't make it right, however. I wish Congress would pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill rather than more entitlement programs.

Why does that upset you?

If you're an United States citizen then you should have some form of ID on you, pretty much all the time. I never go anywhere without my driver's license. If you get cought without an ID then you should be held until you can provide documention or until they can determine just who the hell you are.

Don't you think it's important to know who is in our country and whether or not they have a legal right to be here?

No citizen will go to jail or pay a fine unless they are guilty of something. Not having an ID will not get you arrested, it will get you detained until it's determined who you are and whether you have a legal right to be here. So basically those American citizens that don't carry any form of ID will be inconvenienced at most.

When was this a legal requirement?

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Why does that upset you?

Have you ever heard of the 4th Amendment? Have you ever heard of the requirement of probable cause to arrest someone?

This Arizona law, as I understand it, gives police the power to detain someone they merely suspect of being in the country illegally. So it a person "looks like" an illegal immigrant to a police officer, they have the right to stop them and search them for "proof of citizenship."

Suppose a Hispanic person who is an American citizen, is walking down a street in an Arizona town and some cop "thinks" he "looks like an illegal immigrant." He isn't. He's an American citizen. Never mind. Stop, detain and search.

Suppose the police find some form of contraband or a weapon in the guy's pocket. Do you think for a second they are going to say, "Oh, well, never mind. I see that you are a U.S. citizen, so you are free to go"? Of course not. The person will be arrested - as a consequence of what clearly would have been an illegal detention and search, but for this new law.

I have no problem at all with arresting people for breaking the law, provided the police have probable cause to believe the law has been broken. I have a HUGE problem with arresting people without any probable cause whatsoever.

So many of you are overlooking the real danger of a law such as this.

Police LOVE laws that extend their power to avoid the 4th Amendment, and well-meaning legislatures fall right into their hands every time. The issue here isn't stopping illegal aliens. The issue is stopping regular citizens who might appear to be illegal aliens but who are not, and then arresting them for whatever the cops happen to find on their persons or in their cars.

In a scenario such as this, the police would have NO probable cause to stop anyone, but for the particular law that gives them that right - in this case, the Arizona "stop and check" law for illegals. In other cases, DUI "checkpoints." Of course, once the person has been detained legally, all bets are off. Police are under no obligation to ignore contraband they observe incidentally while detaining someone for another purpose.

A law such as this one is just one more step toward a true police state - something that is to be avoided at all costs.

Last edited:

When was this a legal requirement?
I'll take that for $1000, Alex...

In historical European dictatorships in the 1900s?

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Forum List

Back