Palm Springs AIDS memorial resembling giant butthole sparks controversy

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
Sometimes these stories just write themselves without any effort on anyone's part. What the hell was the artist thinking? :laughing0301:

"A proposed AIDS memorial sculpture in Palm Springs is at the center of a heated debate with its design sparking concerns in the community. The controversial sculpture, meant to honor those who lost their lives to HIV and AIDS, is facing scrutiny for its abstract design and perceived inappropriate connotations.

The sculpture, standing at nine feet tall, features a round limestone structure with concentric carved circles, symbolizing the diverse impact of AIDS on the community. Its design is intended to evoke feelings of connection, reflection, and hope. However, not everyone is on board with this artistic vision.

"It's really strained. I mean, it's almost like a piece of art looking for a purpose, instead of the other way around. It could be about anything, and as a consequence, it's kind of about nothing," Clay Sales said.

In addition to concerns about the abstract nature of the sculpture, some residents have raised eyebrows over its perceived resemblance to certain body parts.

"The backside of the proposed memorial looks like a graphic depiction of the backside of a human being," Gene Brake said.

AIDS memorial sculpture sparks debate in Palm Springs - KESQ

aids.jpg

Maybe it's a memorial to remind some people how they got AIDS in the first place. :laughing0301:

Sometimes these stories just write themselves without any effort on anyone's part. What the hell was the artist thinking? :laughing0301:

"A proposed AIDS memorial sculpture in Palm Springs is at the center of a heated debate with its design sparking concerns in the community. The controversial sculpture, meant to honor those who lost their lives to HIV and AIDS, is facing scrutiny for its abstract design and perceived inappropriate connotations.

The sculpture, standing at nine feet tall, features a round limestone structure with concentric carved circles, symbolizing the diverse impact of AIDS on the community. Its design is intended to evoke feelings of connection, reflection, and hope. However, not everyone is on board with this artistic vision.

"It's really strained. I mean, it's almost like a piece of art looking for a purpose, instead of the other way around. It could be about anything, and as a consequence, it's kind of about nothing," Clay Sales said.

In addition to concerns about the abstract nature of the sculpture, some residents have raised eyebrows over its perceived resemblance to certain body parts.

"The backside of the proposed memorial looks like a graphic depiction of the backside of a human being," Gene Brake said.

AIDS memorial sculpture sparks debate in Palm Springs - KESQ

View attachment 831112
That's nothing. When it comes to bad taste in art, Sweden takes the cake. But don't just look at the "artwork", read the story to understand what it is all about.

That's nothing. When it comes to bad taste in art, Sweden takes the cake. But don't just look at the "artwork", read the story to understand what it is all about.

Good God! I'm not one of the most tolerant people around, but that even shocked me. :eek-52:

Thanks, original poster! I just worked a 13-hour day as teachers sometimes will. Just what I needed a little laugh make that a big laugh to ease detention.

Sparked debate ... about what? What methods traditionally spread this virus? and alot of it? Pretty much whatever you think involves some type of hole or drugs.

Good God! I'm not one of the most tolerant people around, but that even shocked me. :eek-52:
It is disgusting, isn't it. And to think that the politicians and "do-gooders" actually took a slice with smiles on their rotting faces. It is beyond all understanding for me.

Forum List

Back