Palin To be Banned from campus ?

If universities can turn down Ayers, why can't they turn down Palin?

I guess you missed the part where the University INVITED her? Some students are trying to shut down free speech aided and abetted by some Professor. A State Senator is trying to intimidate the school into canceling the speech.

I am a conservative but:

Maybe the University should have polled those that financially support the university with tuition before inviting a controversial political figure?

The article seems to imply that they just want to know how much she's being paid and how she's being paid given that she's asking $100,000 a pop. Not an unreasonable request for information, IMO.

It is the O/P that implies they want to ban her. I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything indicating that.

Do you guys realize how hillarious it is watching you tards get your panties in a bunch over Sarah Palin? For someone you claim to be of no consequence and an airhead... you certainly waste countless hours on her. Of course, not like you have anything productive in your lives, right? Sit on here all day, maybe take a trip to the unemployment office to re-up on some benefits... watch a little Olberman... play some Xbox.

Oh no, she is of consequence... People listen to her for sure. They say "Wow, she's just like me!" Yeah, a moron. She should be of no consequence, but unfortunately that's not the case.

However there's really nothin goin on up there in that pretty little middle aged head. No substance. What's her platform? A bunch of jingoistic flag waving, silly sports metaphors and rah-rahs, but no platform. I don't blame any higher education institution for un-inviting her. Her initial invitation is far more unsettling.

If that were all she said you'd have a point.
Well what specifically does she say that reaches the level of hatespeech ,
Please try to be specific and use examples.
Spreading hate...just read a few of her speeches or her facebook page. It is always us vs. them...always divisive, never constructive.

Could you be specific and gives actual examples?
Like quotes and time and date?

Is this decisive ?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ae6Z-cdieY]YouTube - racism .wmv[/ame]
Is this spreading hate?
Should political speech that questions the leadership and policies of another be illegal ?
Since they are by there nature divisive and therefor not constructive.

Does the University have the right to invite her? Yes.
Does the University have the right to pay her with school funds? Yes.
Does the University have the right to ban her? Yes.
Do the students/faculty have the right to protest her? Yes.

I fail to see the issue here?

Double standard ,Law maker seeks to have speaking fee revealed ?

TURLOCK, Calif. --

Amid a furor created by people demanding to know how former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is getting paid for a gala speech at California State University, Stanislaus, officials say that no public funds will be used to support the event.
"Furthermore, no existing foundation funds are being used either. The event is self-funded. All funds used have been given for the purpose of putting on this event in order to raise money to benefit university programs and student services," Matt Swanson, president of the CSU Stanislaus Foundation Board of Directors, said in a statement.

Palin is scheduled to headline a black-tie fundraiser on campus in June. A student group is organizing a protest and its own event in response. A professor has started a Facebook group in protest.

In addition, Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco, is demanding to know how much the university is paying Palin, who commands up to $100,000 per lecture.
Swanson said in a statement that Palin's contract is confidential per the university's agreement with the Washington Speakers Bureau.

Stan State: Palin Event Is Self-Funded - Politics News Story - KCRA Sacramento

Really what in the hell is going on in this country ?
Is Smaller responsible government = to hate speech now?

YouTube - Ban Sarah Palin

YouTube - political hate.wmv

Didn't see you get mad when the Unversity of Wyomning cancelled Bill Ayers speaking engagment.

The article seems to imply that they just want to know how much she's being paid and how she's being paid given that she's asking $100,000 a pop. Not an unreasonable request for information, IMO.

It is the O/P that implies they want to ban her. I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything indicating that.
When has anyone else been asked to reveal how much they are being paid ?

No they have gotten that far yet. They are going after those who invited her and working out the details of how to break the contract.

David West What is the procedure that was followed to elect or appoint Foundation's Board of Directors member?. What is the procedure to FIRE them. This group is supposed to represent the University...not just their political ideologies. They need to be replaced by people who actually represent the CSUS university community: students instructors and employees. Hiring Palin as speaker is gross incompetence.
Yesterday at 6:06pm · Report
How do we recall/Fire board of directors? | Facebook

Sarah Palin, Terrible Choice for 50th Anniversary of CSU StanislausCategory:Organizations - Academic OrganizationsDescription:
The Board of Directors of the California State University, Stanislaus Foundation announced on March 25, 2010 that Sarah Palin will serve as the guest of honor and Keynote Speaker at California State University, Stanislaus’ 50th Anniversary Gala on Friday, June 25. This decision was made without consulting the faculty and staff, some of which have given 30-50 years of dedicated service to the university and its community.

For many reasons, Mrs. Palin is an unsuitable choice to headline the gala event to celebrate the university's 50-year existence. She is widely regarded as anti-intellectual, and her polarizing rhetoric and intolerance of views that differ from her own run counter to the very “Idea of a University” (cf. Cardinal John H. Newman, 1801-90). However, perhaps the most important reason is this gala anniversary should be about the institution and education, not focused on a celebrity-politician who has no familiarity with the former and no record of accomplishment with the latter.

Freedom of speech is to be fostered and encouraged in academia, and it would be interesting to see Mrs. Palin participate in a formal political debate at CSU Stanislaus. However, she is an extremely poor choice as the guest of honor for the university’s 50th Anniversary Gala. The Foundation's Board of Directors has done the institution it supposedly serves a grave disservice by hiring Mrs. Palin as a keynote speaker.

This Facebook group was established to allow those who disapprove of the CSU Stanislaus Foundation's Board of Directors decision to hire Mrs. Palin's services* on June 25 to register that disapproval by joining the group.

Patrick Kelly
Prof. of Zoology
CSU Stanislaus

Sarah Palin, Terrible Choice for 50th Anniversary of CSU Stanislaus | Facebook

TURLOCK, Calif. --

Amid a furor created by people demanding to know how former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is getting paid for a gala speech at California State University, Stanislaus, officials say that no public funds will be used to support the event.
"Furthermore, no existing foundation funds are being used either. The event is self-funded. All funds used have been given for the purpose of putting on this event in order to raise money to benefit university programs and student services," Matt Swanson, president of the CSU Stanislaus Foundation Board of Directors, said in a statement.

Palin is scheduled to headline a black-tie fundraiser on campus in June. A student group is organizing a protest and its own event in response. A professor has started a Facebook group in protest.

In addition, Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco, is demanding to know how much the university is paying Palin, who commands up to $100,000 per lecture.
Swanson said in a statement that Palin's contract is confidential per the university's agreement with the Washington Speakers Bureau.

Didn't see you get mad when the Unversity of Wyomning cancelled Bill Ayers speaking engagment.

The people who invited Ayers to speak dis-invited him so as to not sully the image of the school.
I am not aware of any protesting or community organizing that caused the reversal .
It is in my opinion juvenile to invite an unrepentant hater of America and a terrorist to speak anywhere.
Sarah Palin is not a terrorist unrepentant or or otherwise .

You know you are mad at the students from Cal State for the exact same thing the Tea Party people do.
They have a right to demand to know how much their school, whom they pay tuition to is paying someone. They also have every right to protest Palin, just like the Tea Party had every right to protest in Harry Reid's hometown.

I want to see the evidence that of what ever it is the palin says that make people hate her so much.
mccainpalin.jpg

What more do you need?

TURLOCK, Calif. --

This is no SUPRISE--it's California--the greatest WELFARE state in the Union. Palin is not going to be welcome in California--she might say something along the lines of "personal responsiblity" that would get 1/2 of the states residents mouths foaming over.--:lol:

Im not mad at anything .
I want to see the evidence that of what ever it is the palin says that make people hate her so much.
I have already made the extent of my support for palin known
http://www.usmessageboard.com/2128590-post11.html

I don't hate her, I just dislike her quite a bit. And I have many reasons to not like her, which I don't have to share with anyone.

You can't be mad at students for protesting her, when Palin and the Tea Party has been protesting everyone and their dog for months. We all have the right to protest, and these students have every right to ask where the money is coming from. If a school was planning to raise my tuition, I think I might want to know how someone was getting paid when they usually ask for 100,000 a gig.

And if you really want to know why I dislike her, watch any campaign rally from 2008.

I dislike Palin as much as every other Neo-Con in the GOP.

But Banning her from Speaking at a Campus? that's a little ridiculous.. She's not hurting anybody is she? She's not a "Terrorist" (Some people here would beg to differ) So why Ban her?

BUT!

Does the University have the right to invite her? Yes.
Does the University have the right to pay her with school funds? Yes.
Does the University have the right to ban her? Yes.
Do the students/faculty have the right to protest her? Yes.

I fail to see the issue here?

This.

Last edited:

But Banning her from Speaking at a Campus? that's a little ridiculous.. She's not hurting anybody is she? She's not a "Terrorist" (Some people here would beg to differ) So why Ban her?

They are not banning her, they are protesting her. ;)
And they want to know how she is being paid.

If the Tea Party people and everyone else can protest in front of the capitol, these Colleg students can protest at their own school.

They are not banning her, they are protesting her. ;)
And they want to know how she is being paid.

If the Tea Party people and everyone else can protest in front of the capitol, these College students can protest at their own school.

Ahh.. So, the title of this thread is an over exaggeration i suppose? (No Surprise.)

Hey, The Tea Partiers can protest wherever they want and whatever they want to Protest.. Just like any other Group, no matter what side.

Last edited:
Exactly!
It is like burning the flag, I don't like it, but it is what makes our country great. The simple fact that protesting and burning our flag is protected by the constitution makes you realize we aren't that bad off. lol

Exactly!
It is like burning the flag, I don't like it, but it is what makes our country great. The simple fact that protesting and burning our flag is protected by the constitution makes you realize we aren't that bad off. lol

I disapprove of it Completely, in fact i hate it 110%.. but.. It is Protected by the Constitution.. Can't really do anything about it.

Exactly!

I disapprove of it Completely, in fact i hate it 110%.. but.. It is Protected by the Constitution.. Can't really do anything about it.

I hate it too, but it also reminds me how lucky we are.
I do get pissed when people do not follow proper flag etiquette, for one they teach you all about it in grade school. When I was younger I had a wierd obsession with it for awhie. :lol:

Forum List

Back