Paging Donald Rumsfeld

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Paging Donald Rumsfeld: If the bin Laden raid was such an easy call, why did you say no?

Donald Rumsfeld Tuesday night on Fox, echoing the GOP's party line that the bin Laden raid was an easy call:
I don't think it was a tough decision. We've seen a lot of instances where presidents over the years have -- have had to make decisions like that. I think after spending that amount of time, that number of years and that much money -- we increased the special operations forces by about 50 percent. We increased their budget. We increased their equipment. And they develop these skill sets and improve the intelligence capability of our country.
And finally, when all that comes together, to not make that decision, it seemed to me, would just be dumbfounding. I can't imagine any president not making that decision.

But, via Politico's Glenn Thrush, in 2005 the Bush administration balked when presented with a similar opportunity:

A secret military operation in early 2005 to capture senior members of Al Qaeda in Pakistan’s tribal areas was aborted at the last minute after top Bush administration officials decided it was too risky and could jeopardize relations with Pakistan, according to intelligence and military officials. The target was a meeting of Qaeda leaders that intelligence officials thought included Ayman al-Zawahri, Osama bin Laden’s top deputy and the man believed to run the terrorist group’s operations.

And who said no? You guessed it ... Donald Rumsfeld:

But the mission was called off after Donald H. Rumsfeld, then the defense secretary, rejected an 11th-hour appeal by Porter J. Goss, then the director of the Central Intelligence Agency, officials said. Members of a Navy Seals unit in parachute gear had already boarded C-130 cargo planes in Afghanistan when the mission was canceled, said a former senior intelligence official involved in the planning.

Nowhere in the unread article does it say they passed on whacking bin Laden

Another Synthaolic Fail

they cant tell you how much oil left Iraq because the Bush admin refused to replace the broken equipment that measured the oil flow

Another Synthaolic Fail
Similar, not exact.

Why didn't Rumsfeld pull the trigger?

Oh, that's easy....

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

"I am truly not that concerned about him."
- G.W. Bush, responding to a question about bin Laden's whereabouts,
3/13/02 (The New American, 4/8/02)

Paging Donald Rumsfeld: If the bin Laden raid was such an easy call, why did you say no?

Donald Rumsfeld Tuesday night on Fox, echoing the GOP's party line that the bin Laden raid was an easy call:
I don't think it was a tough decision. We've seen a lot of instances where presidents over the years have -- have had to make decisions like that. I think after spending that amount of time, that number of years and that much money -- we increased the special operations forces by about 50 percent. We increased their budget. We increased their equipment. And they develop these skill sets and improve the intelligence capability of our country.
And finally, when all that comes together, to not make that decision, it seemed to me, would just be dumbfounding. I can't imagine any president not making that decision.

But, via Politico's Glenn Thrush, in 2005 the Bush administration balked when presented with a similar opportunity:

A secret military operation in early 2005 to capture senior members of Al Qaeda in Pakistan’s tribal areas was aborted at the last minute after top Bush administration officials decided it was too risky and could jeopardize relations with Pakistan, according to intelligence and military officials. The target was a meeting of Qaeda leaders that intelligence officials thought included Ayman al-Zawahri, Osama bin Laden’s top deputy and the man believed to run the terrorist group’s operations.

And who said no? You guessed it ... Donald Rumsfeld:

But the mission was called off after Donald H. Rumsfeld, then the defense secretary, rejected an 11th-hour appeal by Porter J. Goss, then the director of the Central Intelligence Agency, officials said. Members of a Navy Seals unit in parachute gear had already boarded C-130 cargo planes in Afghanistan when the mission was canceled, said a former senior intelligence official involved in the planning.

Well, besides the fact it could "jeapardize" our relation with Pakistan (which i couldn't care less about) he also said it was RISKY. So, if there's a high risk that it wouldn't work and would put our military in a situation that is risky for them, then they made the right decision. Where does this article say that they passed on Bin Ladin?? I didn't see his name in that group!

The fucker is dead. So what has changed significantly in the area or the world for that matter other than Obama trying to take credit so he can get re-elected?

Another Synthaolic Fail
Similar, not exact.

Why didn't Rumsfeld pull the trigger?

You didn't read the article you posted to did you? It's in the unread article.

LOL

Unread attached Article/OP Disconnect Syndrome

CrusaderFrank FAIL.

“The Gulf War in the 1990s lasted five days on the ground. I can’t tell you if the use of force in Iraq today would last five days, or five weeks, or five months, but it certainly isn’t going to last any longer than that.” He also said, “It is unknowable how long that conflict will last. It could last six days, six weeks. I doubt six months.” [Rumsfeld, 11/14/02;

Forum List

Back