Padillia: What Say You?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
An appelate judge has ruled 'charge or set free.'

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ap/20050228/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/enemy_combatant

White House Must Charge or Free Suspect

29 minutes ago Top Stories - AP

By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - A federal judge ordered the Bush administration Monday to either charge terrorism suspect Jose Padilla with a crime or release him after more than 2 1/2 years in custody.

U.S. District Judge Henry Floyd in Spartanburg, S.C., said the government can not hold Padilla indefinitely as an "enemy combatant," a designation President Bush (news - web sites) gave him in 2002.

"The court finds that the president has no power, neither express nor implied, neither constitutional nor statutory, to hold petitioner as an enemy combatant," Floyd wrote in a 23-page opinion that was a stern rebuke to the government. He gave the administration 45 days to take action.

"We think that this is a wonderful decision," said Padilla's attorney, Andy Patel, as Padilla waited on another line. "It is one of those moments that all Americans should be proud of."

Well, there is no "express" authority to let him go either. "Express or Implied."

But wait, if this guy says "implied," then he has "expressly" contradicted himself.

I respect the law, I respect the freedoms it gives, however, I do not respect the erosion of the law simply in the name of "rights." This term is over used. This term has been defined a thousand ways. In my book, rights are given or are fundemental. Those that are given are oft taken or stolen away as soon as they are given. Fundemental rights are different. They are something that has been defined and given the utmost protection under our living constitution. Further, they are given to those who acknowledge the law that defines "rights." To laugh in the face of the very law that gives you the term "rights," is to laugh in your own demise.

It is wholly ironic how people can cry "rights" and in the same sentence cry justice for those that would destroy this country and it's "rights." One can not claim foul on the one hand and in the same breath call, " make it fair under the [foul] law." This is nonsense.

The night before his release, while he's asleep, use ether to anethesize him, and then implant a subcultaneous transmitter (in the center of his upper back near the spine) from which his movements can be tracked.

Then let him run back to his contacts.

Padilla Floatia... oh wait youre talking about the terrorist rather than the pitcher.

I agree with the ruling. As much as I would love to see Padilla fry in the chair, the government cannot hold him (as a US citizen) indefinitely.

Padilla was imprisoned by presidential fiant, without charge, without access to legal counsel, and kept incommunicado. His constitutional rights were suspended at the word of one man, and this should give us all pause.

-----------------------------------------ok pause is over---don't try to imply that this is going to become a norm. Exactly WHO has been screwed over by the Patriot Act that everyone was so paranoid about ?? There are times when the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.

dilloduck said:
-----------------------------------------ok pause is over---don't try to imply that this is going to become a norm. Exactly WHO has been screwed over by the Patriot Act that everyone was so paranoid about ?? There are times when the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.
I'd say Padilla was screwed over, for one.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few/one? So, in reality, our constitution, bill of rights, and inalienable rights granted to us by our creator are really nothing more than a smokescreen created by our founding fathers in order to preserve what?

I don't have any problems with the Patriot Act, but that's not what the thread is about. As far as Jose Padilla is concerned, he is an American citizen, and so he deserves to be given the rights that the Constitution outlines, terrorist or not. The Patriot Act, to my knowledge, doesn't change any of those rights.

Forum List

Back