Padillia: What Say You?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    An appelate judge has ruled 'charge or set free.'

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ap/20050228/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/enemy_combatant

2. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    Well, there is no "express" authority to let him go either. "Express or Implied."

But wait, if this guy says "implied," then he has "expressly" contradicted himself.

I respect the law, I respect the freedoms it gives, however, I do not respect the erosion of the law simply in the name of "rights." This term is over used. This term has been defined a thousand ways. In my book, rights are given or are fundemental. Those that are given are oft taken or stolen away as soon as they are given. Fundemental rights are different. They are something that has been defined and given the utmost protection under our living constitution. Further, they are given to those who acknowledge the law that defines "rights." To laugh in the face of the very law that gives you the term "rights," is to laugh in your own demise.

It is wholly ironic how people can cry "rights" and in the same sentence cry justice for those that would destroy this country and it's "rights." One can not claim foul on the one hand and in the same breath call, " make it fair under the [foul] law." This is nonsense.

3. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    The night before his release, while he's asleep, use ether to anethesize him, and then implant a subcultaneous transmitter (in the center of his upper back near the spine) from which his movements can be tracked.

Then let him run back to his contacts.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,203
    Padilla Floatia... oh wait youre talking about the terrorist rather than the pitcher.

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I agree with the ruling. As much as I would love to see Padilla fry in the chair, the government cannot hold him (as a US citizen) indefinitely.

6. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Padilla was imprisoned by presidential fiant, without charge, without access to legal counsel, and kept incommunicado. His constitutional rights were suspended at the word of one man, and this should give us all pause.

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    -----------------------------------------ok pause is over---don't try to imply that this is going to become a norm. Exactly WHO has been screwed over by the Patriot Act that everyone was so paranoid about ?? There are times when the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.

8. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say Padilla was screwed over, for one.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few/one? So, in reality, our constitution, bill of rights, and inalienable rights granted to us by our creator are really nothing more than a smokescreen created by our founding fathers in order to preserve what?

9. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I don't have any problems with the Patriot Act, but that's not what the thread is about. As far as Jose Padilla is concerned, he is an American citizen, and so he deserves to be given the rights that the Constitution outlines, terrorist or not. The Patriot Act, to my knowledge, doesn't change any of those rights.