Paddock prescribed antidepressants in June, which means virtually every mass shooter....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Theowl32, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,118
    Neither have the millions that own ARs.

;)

2. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,118
    About that, those need to come back. Not all psychotics need to be institutionalized, but some do.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. edthecynic

edthecynic Censored for Cynicism

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,595
    Assuming one pill a day, he would have been off the medication for over 2 months before the shooting. But the Right always have to make excuses for a homicidal white man, so pills are a better excuse than nothing

4. LoneLaugher

LoneLaugher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,495
    You wanna make it illegal for people to take prescription antidepressants? Or just to own firearms when taking them?

5. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46,880
    Yes, I've done many reports where a patient is obviously quite dangerous but can only be held for 72 hours and the doctors have to try to restabilize these patients on their meds, and then guess what? They send them right back out the door into the world. I've been quite disgusted with the psychiatric community for quite a while now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46,880
    Psychiatric medications are supposed to be WEANED off under a doctor's supervision. You are not just supposed to stop taking meds like that on your own because of withdrawals. They can and do also build up in your system and can remain there for a while, depending on the type of medication.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Theowl32

Theowl32 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,978
    The other clear problem, especially among rich people who are addicted to these various very addictive opioids is the doctor shopping.

I am going to assume right now that doctors make some kind of a kickback of some kind on these drugs. Perhaps that is an ignorant statement, but I have known people that doctor shopped. Maybe it is just a certain reputation that certain doctors are just willing to write out prescriptions with no real resistance.

Micheal Jackson's doctor is an example of that. I believe Tiger Woods is also in that boat. They say this guy Paddock had money. Would it be hard to consider that he may have doctor shopped and he had other things in his system other than a benzo?

I don't think that is too much of a stretch. What I do know is the addiction to these things is real. I also know that if a rich person is addicted to these, then they are more than likely to shop for doctors and there are always doctors that will write prescriptions.

8. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46,880
    I don't know how addictive they are. Most of these are mood stabilizers. However, I suppose it depends upon the person and how his/her body chemistry reacts with the meds. Also, just the fact alone that some of these meds can actually make psychosis or suicidal tendencies worse should be a red flag, given the fact that some of these shooters were actively taking these medications (or had them still in their systems) when these mass shootings occurred. Most of the time these medications are okay, and most people are not going to have these major side effects, but there is that small percentage of people who will . . . .

9. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,218
    Those people with severe, refractory psychosis are sad cases. The medicine helps, but the disease is so severe that it leads them to stop taking their meds. These people often have case management and witnessed dosing of meds...or even long acting injectible antipsychotics.

But you shouldn't be disgusted with the psych community. They are overwhelmed and understaffed with not enough providers. Plus the government regulations prevent them from doing what might be best for the patient, which might be permanent institutionalization for some people.

10. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,218
    One valium daily for 50 days would not cause withdrawal.

And if he did have valium withdrawal, it would be seizures and tremulousness, not psychosis. And especially not very well organized psychosis that forced him to meticulously plan an assault.

• Agree Agree x 1