Owning a home or a house

Depends on your stability

Financially, geographically and emotionally

Owning a house is cheaper than renting and gives you the satisfaction of ownership and a long term financial investment

But maintenance and such can be expensive and annoying. Get a condo.

What's your opinion on owning a home or a house in this economy, particularly in regards to younger people who aren't married, and aren't sure about marrying or having children?

I've known some younger people (e.x. younger married couples) who inherited property or had family members buy it for them; or disregarding that, are there other living arrangments (e.x. renting an apartment or RV; living with a relative) you would recommended.

I'd be tempted to ask the same question in regards to owning a car of vehicle - for a younger person without children or a family to support, would other options (e.x. public transportation, moped/motorcycle, bicycle/electric bicycle) be a better investment?

Thanks.
Buying a house when you are "young" can be one of the best things you can do IF you are stable and have a solid job. It can also be overwhelming if you aren't ready for the responsibility of maintenance, paying property taxes, HOA etc. So like a lot of things, it depends on the person.

So like a lot of things, it depends on the person.
yes it does.....
having spent the last decade building my farm took a lot of time/effort
sXF1eSn.jpg

it's definitely a 'lifestyle' thing...

~S~

What's your opinion on owning a home or a house in this economy, particularly in regards to younger people who aren't married, and aren't sure about marrying or having children?

I've known some younger people (e.x. younger married couples) who inherited property or had family members buy it for them; or disregarding that, are there other living arrangments (e.x. renting an apartment or RV; living with a relative) you would recommended.

I'd be tempted to ask the same question in regards to owning a car of vehicle - for a younger person without children or a family to support, would other options (e.x. public transportation, moped/motorcycle, bicycle/electric bicycle) be a better investment?

Thanks.

Buy buy buy buy

Owning a house is cheaper than renting and gives you the satisfaction of ownership and a long term financial investment

You still pay for interior maintenance on a condo
If you are that adverse to maintenance.....rent

Yes but way less than for a house and if the roof leaks the condo fixes it. Same with AC and heat.

Yes but way less than for a house and if the roof leaks the condo fixes it. Same with AC and heat.
I’ve owned both a condo and a private residence
No way would I go back to a condo

Maintenance fees can be excessive and I hated all the rules and regulations and neighbors snitching on you if you broke them

I’ve owned both a condo and a private residence
No way would I go back to a condo

Maintenance fees can be excessive and I hated all the rules and regulations and neighbors snitching on you if you broke them

That could be true. I have never lived in one but taking care of a house is a PITA!!!

Thanks.

Owning a home is economic freedom. Until you own your own home, you are the slave to landlords.

Not necessarily when one considers property taxes and interest not to mention maintenance which statistics show usually offsets anything that can be deducted from taxes. As for the investment question real property doesn't always keep up with inflation often resulting in a net loss over time.

Rent goes up, house payments don't. Simple as that.

The only advice I'll give is to live within your own means and rational expectations for the future. There are benefits to having fixed costs for housing based on ownership - and not having to deal with the vagaries of the rental market - but only if you have the means to handle a mortgage, insurance, taxes and maintenance of the property. Owning one's own place has additional emotional benefits, but those are relative to the individual.

Thanks.

Owning a home is economic freedom. Until you own your own home, you are the slave to landlords.

Partial economic freedom. As long as one has a mortgage, one is a debt serf to the bank. And one will always be a property tax serf to the state or local government in areas that have such taxes.

Thanks.

Partial economic freedom. As long as one has a mortgage, one is a debt serf to the bank. And one will always be a property tax serf to the state or local government in areas that have such taxes.
There is no free lunch

Thanks.

There is no free lunch

How refreshing to hear something sensible from you!

I’d much rather own than rent.

I bought my house back in 1982 for $93000.

It’s worth about $550,000 now.

Not a bad return considering I had to have somewhere to live anyway.

Had I rented all those years, I’d be walking away with nothing other than my security deposit.

Not necessarily when one considers property taxes and interest not to mention maintenance which statistics show usually offsets anything that can be deducted from taxes. As for the investment question real property doesn't always keep up with inflation often resulting in a net loss over time.

Rent goes up, house payments don't. Simple as that.
Soooooo, home repair costs, contractor costs, taxes and all other associated costs remain static.......... Look, those who claim home ownership results in a break even or net loss due to all factors are the ones you need to argue with. If I was one of them I wouldn't have bought a house............

So like a lot of things, it depends on the person.
yes it does.....
having spent the last decade building my farm took a lot of time/effort
sXF1eSn.jpg

it's definitely a 'lifestyle' thing...

~S~
You built all that? Are the house and the barn your custom designs?

yes , i've been a tradesman nearly 40 yrs Mike, lotta well learned buds i can ask q's of

~S~
Nice, my wife is from Wisconsin farm country. I always like to check out the farms. I've never seen one setup like that.

Forum List

Back