Owners ‘Devocalizing’ Dogs To Curtail Pets From Barking

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
November 13, 2012 12:22 PM

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) – Animal welfare activists are sparking a debate regarding whether or not the practice of devocalizing dogs and other pets is inhumane.

Formally known as a ventriculocordectomy, devocalizing animals involves surgically altering the pets so that they can no longer make loud noises by removing some or most of the animal’s vocal chords through either the mouth or larynx.

What a disgusting story @ Owners ‘Devocalizing’ Dogs To Curtail Pets From Barking « CBS DC

:mad:

I adopted a beagle who was debarked. I will shamefully admit that it was convenient for me.

What they don't tell you is that the larynx at times rejoins and the animals develop a voice over years. Eventually Fenway the beagle developed a bay which sounded like a baby mimicking a cat.

I've heard of it, and think it's wrong to do so. The same with getting cats declawed...if a declawed cat happens to get loose, it has a lesser chance at defending himself if attacked by other animals.

Dogs need to be able to bark. If your neighborhood has anti-bark statutes, buy a hamster instead.

Regards from Rosie

I had a neighbor that insisted that I have my three dogs debarked because he was having a fourth of July picnic in his yard. I told him that I would pen my dogs up on the fourth, then put them in the shop come evening time. That wasn't good enough for the guy and he said "well, I have a gun". I chuckled and walked away. That was the last time I ever bothered to speak to the guy.

I always have to put my dogs in the shop on New Year's Eve and the 4th anyway because the fireworks do not set well with them. I have also built pens inside my fenced yard so that I can pen up my dogs when need be.

The neighbor ended up having a stroke a few months later and I rarely saw him outside after. ~shrug~

There is nothing that could make me force my dogs to have surgery such as this. I did not acquire my dogs to harm them.

Last edited:
Dogs need to bark. How cruel to take away their voice. How can they alert their owner to a stranger on the property? If you don't like the sound of your dog barking, don't own a bloody dog!

November 13, 2012 12:22 PM

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) – Animal welfare activists are sparking a debate regarding whether or not the practice of devocalizing dogs and other pets is inhumane.

Formally known as a ventriculocordectomy, devocalizing animals involves surgically altering the pets so that they can no longer make loud noises by removing some or most of the animal’s vocal chords through either the mouth or larynx.

What a disgusting story @ Owners ‘Devocalizing’ Dogs To Curtail Pets From Barking « CBS DC

:mad:

Why would people want a dog that doesnt bark?

Hmm depends. Is it inhumane oif I rip the rectums out of assholes who maim animals?

Dogs need to bark. How cruel to take away their voice. How can they alert their owner to a stranger on the property? If you don't like the sound of your dog barking, don't own a bloody dog!

I agee. Dogs are an early warning system when someones around your property.

Debark my dogs?? Not on your life. Give me more time to get the shotgun.

Forum List

Back