Over 90% of Americans support background checks for gun purchases

Sep 19, 2015
Read it and weep, for all of you deranged NRA terrorists who are against common sense gun control legislation.

I guess this means 90% of Americans are "left wing communist loonies". However, what this poll really means is that the only people who are crazy are YOU NRA terrorists!!

Over 90 percent of Americans support gun background checks: poll

More than 90 percent of U.S. voters supported background checks for all gun buyers, while much smaller majorities were for stricter gun control laws such as bans on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, said a poll released on Thursday.

But the National Rifle Association (NRA) edged out President Barack Obama in the poll, with 46 percent saying the pro-gun lobby better reflects their views on guns, versus 43 percent for Obama.

By a margin of 92 percent to 7 percent, voters supported background checks, the Quinnipiac University telephone poll showed. In households with a gun, 91 percent were in favor, while 8 percent were opposed, Quinnipiac said.

In response to the December 14 shooting that killed 20 school children and six adults in Newtown, Connecticut, Obama last month announced a series of gun-control measures opposed by the NRA, including proposals for enhanced background checks and a ban on military-style assault weapons.

House Democrats were expected to announce their own firearms legislation on Thursday.

A majority of those surveyed supported stricter national gun control laws, Quinnipiac said. Fifty-six percent were for a ban on the sale of assault weapons, and the same percentage supported a ban on the sale of high-capacity magazines, defined as those holding more than 10 rounds.

Congress would need to approve those initiatives and background checks.

"The politics of gun policy are also unclear," Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, said in a statement. "Despite the huge news media coverage of the issue since the Newtown shooting, only 37 percent of voters are more likely to vote for a congressman who votes to ban sales of assault rifles, while 31 percent are less likely, and 30 percent say it would not affect their vote."

The poll surveyed 1,772 registered voters from January 30 to February 4 and had a margin of error of plus or minus 2.3 percentage points, Quinnipiac said.

In response to the December 14 shooting that killed 20 school children and six adults in Newtown, Connecticut, Obama last month announced a series of gun-control measures opposed by the NRA, including proposals for enhanced background checks and a ban on military-style assault weapons.

House Democrats were expected to announce their own firearms legislation on Thursday.

A majority of those surveyed supported stricter national gun control laws, Quinnipiac said. Fifty-six percent were for a ban on the sale of assault weapons, and the same percentage supported a ban on the sale of high-capacity magazines, defined as those holding more than 10 rounds.

"The politics of gun policy are also unclear," Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, said in a statement. "Despite the huge news media coverage of the issue since the Newtown shooting, only 37 percent of voters are more likely to vote for a congressman who votes to ban sales of assault rifles, while 31 percent are less likely, and 30 percent say it would not affect their vote."

The poll surveyed 1,772 registered voters from January 30 to February 4 and had a margin of error of plus or minus 2.3 percentage points, Quinnipiac said.

In theory I support them as well, the problem is in reality they are terribly ineffective.

• Banned
So go into any gun store and try to buy one without a background check...

You'll leave empty-handed.

The point is the deranged NRA terrorists are against this.

And there are lots of ways to legally buy guns without background checks, such as gun shows.

I'm a Republican, pro-gun, and would never join the NRA. I think at times they can be a bit over the top.

That said, how could someone who insists on background checks be against something like voter I.D.? :dunno:

• Banned
I'm a Republican, pro-gun, and would never join the NRA. I think at times they can be a bit over the top.

That said, how could someone who insists on background checks be against something like voter I.D.? :dunno:

Who said I was against a voter ID or any type of national ID card? The government should just be fair about it and issue one to every American.

However, that's not what the democracy-hating Repug Party wants to do and we both know it. They want to make poor people and college kids travel 50 miles a way to pick up their voter ID or force them to pay for one. These are the clever voter suppression tactics of the Repug Nazi Party because they can't win elections on a level playing field anymore, at least not the White House.

You seem to have some kind of problem with the NRA. What is it?

What's your problem with being against background checks?

And there are lots of ways to legally buy guns without background checks, such as gun shows.
While you are correct if you're talking about the black market, background checks are required for transactions at gun shows. You've been disinformed.

Who said I was against a voter ID or any type of national ID card? The government should just be fair about it and issue one to every American.

However, that's not what the democracy-hating Repug Party wants to do and we both know it. They want to make poor people and college kids travel 50 miles a way to pick up their voter ID or force them to pay for one. These are the clever voter suppression tactics of the Repug Nazi Party because they can't win elections on a level playing field anymore, at least not the White House.
Ok, so you're not that "someone". And sorry for diverting the discussion.

Background checks require travel, and money.

While you are correct if you're talking about the black market, background checks are required for transactions at gun shows. You've been disinformed.

No, you're misinformed ("disinformed" isn't a word, dipshit).

Bill would require background checks for private sales at gun shows

A House Democrat has introduced legislation that would require sellers to obtain a background check for all guns sold at gun shows.

Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) on Tuesday reintroduced the Gun Show Loophole Closing Act, a bill long championed by former Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.),.

The bill would subject anyone selling or transferring a gun to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System and require that transfers be reported to the attorney general.
Maloney said a background check is required when a Federal Firearm Licensee wants to sell firearms at a gun show, but no such requirement exists for private sales.
Gun show operators would be required to register with the attorney general and provide information on upcoming shows, including the identity of all firearm vendors, and keep a record of all vendors’ identities.

Is that so? Dipshit

A House Democrat has introduced legislation that would require sellers to obtain a background check for all guns sold at gun shows.

Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) on Tuesday reintroduced the Gun Show Loophole Closing Act, a bill long championed by former Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.),.
I just attended the largest gun show in NY. Background checks are required for ALL firearms transactions.

Sorry about your retarded luck.

The bill would subject anyone selling or transferring a gun to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System and require that transfers be reported to the attorney general.
Maloney said a background check is required when a Federal Firearm Licensee wants to sell firearms at a gun show, but no such requirement exists for private sales.
Requiring background checks is retarded for OBVIOUS reasons...requiring a background check before I hand one of my shotguns to my dad in the duck blind is just taking retarded to a brand new level.

Gun show operators would be required to register with the attorney general and provide information on upcoming shows, including the identity of all firearm vendors, and keep a record of all vendors’ identities.
As retarded as it is, this already happens.

Considering how obviously stupid background check requirements are, what is your problem with the folks who are against them?

Is that so? Dipshit

I just attended the largest gun show in NY. Background checks are required for ALL firearms transactions.

Requiring background checks is retarded for OBVIOUS reasons...requiring a background check before I hand one of my shotguns to my dad in the duck blind is just taking retarded to a brand new level.

Considering how obviously stupid background check requirements are, what is your problem with the folks who are against them?

Obviously, background checks are not performed at guns shows nationwide. Only an idiot believes that. That's why the bill was introduced in Congress. And it's also possible to purchase guns over the Internet.

We have background checks for gun purchases we have for years the problem is if a person has no criminal record and no record of being in a mental hospital the check will come back clean and they will be able to purchase a gun. If there is nothing in a persons past to disqualify them from buying a gun that that is on the record a background check will do no good.

We have background checks for gun purchases we have for years the problem is if a person has no criminal record and no record of being in a mental hospital the check will come back clean and they will be able to purchase a gun. If there is nothing in a persons past to disqualify them from buying a gun that that is on the record a background check will do no good.

Many people do have a record, lightweight. Background checks could have potentially prevented the Virginia Tech massacre. Hence, why 90% of Americans support it, idiot.

So basically you're saying do nothing to keep guns away from crazy people. That's brilliant.

Is that so? Dipshit

Obviously, background checks are not performed at guns shows nationwide. Only an idiot believes that. That's why the bill was introduced in Congress. And it's also possible to purchase guns over the Internet.
I have bought guns over the internet. Guess what? NICS check required.

Is that so? Dipshit

Alrighty then. I guess there's no reason for Congress to propose new legislation regarding this matter. You know more about this issue than the Democrats proposing this bill and President Obama.

Fucking idiot.

Is that so? Dipshit

Alrighty then. I guess there's no reason for Congress to propose new legislation regarding this matter. You know more about this issue than the Democrats proposing this bill and President Obama.

Fucking idiot.
Idiot? Be careful Cupcake, you've already had your vocabulary corrected.

Read it and weep, for all of you deranged NRA terrorists who are against common sense gun control legislation.

I guess this means 90% of Americans are "left wing communist loonies". However, what this poll really means is that the only people who are crazy are YOU NRA terrorists!!

Over 90 percent of Americans support gun background checks: poll

More than 90 percent of U.S. voters supported background checks for all gun buyers, while much smaller majorities were for stricter gun control laws such as bans on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, said a poll released on Thursday.

But the National Rifle Association (NRA) edged out President Barack Obama in the poll, with 46 percent saying the pro-gun lobby better reflects their views on guns, versus 43 percent for Obama.

By a margin of 92 percent to 7 percent, voters supported background checks, the Quinnipiac University telephone poll showed. In households with a gun, 91 percent were in favor, while 8 percent were opposed, Quinnipiac said.

Yes...the people polled were lied to...they did not get the entire issue in the question.....ask them the real quetion....

"Since background checks are easily avoided by criminals who get their guns by stealing them or by having a person with a clean record buy them the gun....and since backround checks do not stop criminals or mass shooters from getting guns...do you support background checks?"

And a follow up question...

"Do you realize that if universal background checks are passed....if you sell your gun to a relative and you do not get a background check on that relative...you will both be felons, and could serve jail time and pay a huge fine.....and if you own a gun and your wife has a concealed carry permit...if you lend her your gun for the evening, without getting a background check...you will then both be felons, and may face a long prison sentence and a huge fine...do you support background checks for all private sales?"

Try asking the question truthfully...see the results then........

And genius....Oregon just passed Universal Background Checks....and though they are not completely on line yet.....they would not have stopped the mass shooter from getting a gun...since he did go through background checks for his gun purchases......

YOu know that...right?

Many people do have a record, lightweight. Background checks could have potentially prevented the Virginia Tech massacre. Hence, why 90% of Americans support it, idiot.

So basically you're saying do nothing to keep guns away from crazy people. That's brilliant.
There is a limit to what background checks can do anyone who is not a total idiot knows this. If this is beyond your grasp then your beyond help.

Is that so? Dipshit

Fucking idiot.

Yeah...he probably does.....they have an agenda...we want to protect our rights.

Forum List

Back