Out of Pipe

JamesE

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2017
How is it possible to go get 50 foot of 1 3/4 roll cage pipe knowing that it will be enough for your project, but after you get that 50 foot of pipe cut, bent and welded in the car you realize that you are far from being finished and still need another 25/30ft. I even had a diagram with measurements. What the Hell? Must have used common core math.

How is it possible to go get 50 foot of 1 3/4 roll cage pipe knowing that it will be enough for your project, but after you get that 50 foot of pipe cut, bent and welded in the car you realize that you are far from being finished and still need another 25/30ft. I even had a diagram with measurements. What the Hell? Must have used common core math.
did you account for curves and waste??

did you account for curves and waste??
I usually use heavy copper ground wire and make templates, lay them all out and measure them and add 20% just for shits and grins, but damn! Was not nowhere close. Hahahaha. More than likely I forgot to measure a couple pieces. Would not be to bad if it was not almost 100 mile round trip to get the pipe.

Last edited:
Did you install it on the wrong car?
Hope not. I stripped the interior to metal, removed the front and back of the car, removed and replaced the exhaust, welded in sub-frame connectors, removed all the glass, and removed most of the wiring harness and have started putting in a roll cage.

I usually use heavy copper ground wire and make templates, lay them all out and measure them and add 20% just for shits and grins, but damn! Was not nowhere close. Hahahaha. More than likely I forgot to measure a couple pieces. Would not be to bad if it was not almost 100 mile round trip to get the pipe.

Being half or more short, I think you forgot to measure more than a few things....or you got shorted on the pipe

Being half or more short, I think you forgot to measure more than a few things....or you got shorted on the pipe
Well I think what happened was, is that I maybe forgot to measure a piece or two and I know I forgot I needed rear kickers and X bracing for the kickers. That would accountfor most of what I am short

If you plan to race the thing maybe you should consider hiring another driver.
That's what my wife said when I turned 60 and told her I was building a faster car for this year and moving to another class, but also keeping the old car and going back and racing enduro races with it. But I'll be all right most of the tracks I have raced the last few years did not require kicker bars so I think it just slipped my mind for abit.

Forum List

Back