Our greatest President

he attempted to pack the court in 1937-he was hardly pres for life at that point.

I thought Annie was talking later on, not in 1937 at my last link obviously shows. Because he did end up appointing around eight or so, he basically controlled the Supreme Court easily.

no, he appointed justices-not the same thing at all.

*Goes back to reread*

Wow, I don't know how I got that mixed up. :eusa_eh:

My point in general though was for towards the end of FDR's 3rd term going into 4th though, that at that point he was unstoppable unless I got that mistaken too.

USA Today/Gallup Poll. Feb. 6-7, 2009. N=1,018 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"Thinking now about some of the past presidents -- If you had to choose, which one of these U.S. presidents would you regard as the greatest: George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, John Kennedy, or Ronald Reagan?"

Reagan 24%

Kennedy 22%

Lincoln 22%

Roosevelt 18%

Washington 9%

Presidents & History

I am a great admirer of Reagan, but the outcome of this poll is frightening. And of those names listed, Kennedy should not even be on there.

Washington and Lincoln remain our two greatest Presidents - one doing more than any other to establish the nation, the other doing more than any other to preserve it during its greatest crisis.

From there, such polls get bogged down into the definition of "great". Sticking with the

20th Century, I would rate FDR as the most influential of the first 50 years, though consider Teddy Roosevelt the "greater" president.

The second half of the 20th Century I would rate LBJ as the most influential president, while placing Reagan as that time period's greatest president - though Reagan's influence is a close second to LBJ's - and far more positive.

Both FDR and LBJ greatly expanded the role of government - an expansion that impacts the lives of every single American.

And now we are in an era when the current president, like LBJ and FDR, is greatly expanding the role of government - rolling back the welfare reforms of the 1990's, additional spending in excess of a trillion dollars, rumblings of a return of the Fairness Doctrine, movement toward nationalized medicine, etc.

Will this era prove to be one of great presidential influence, or presidential greatness?

"Thinking now about some of the past presidents -- If you had to choose, which one of these U.S. presidents would you regard as the greatest: George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, John Kennedy, or Ronald Reagan?"

Reagan 24%

Kennedy 22%

Lincoln 22%

Roosevelt 18%

Washington 9%

Presidents & History

I am a great admirer of Reagan, but the outcome of this poll is frightening. And of those names listed, Kennedy should not even be on there.

Washington and Lincoln remain our two greatest Presidents - one doing more than any other to establish the nation, the other doing more than any other to preserve it during its greatest crisis.

From there, such polls get bogged down into the definition of "great". Sticking with the

20th Century, I would rate FDR as the most influential of the first 50 years, though consider Teddy Roosevelt the "greater" president.

The second half of the 20th Century I would rate LBJ as the most influential president, while placing Reagan as that time period's greatest president - though Reagan's influence is a close second to LBJ's - and far more positive.

Both FDR and LBJ greatly expanded the role of government - an expansion that impacts the lives of every single American.

And now we are in an era when the current president, like LBJ and FDR, is greatly expanding the role of government - rolling back the welfare reforms of the 1990's, additional spending in excess of a trillion dollars, rumblings of a return of the Fairness Doctrine, movement toward nationalized medicine, etc.

Will this era prove to be one of great presidential influence, or presidential greatness?

i think eisenhower was the best president of the last half of the 20th century.

i agree with you on fdr and tr, though.

Reagan 24%

Kennedy 22%

Lincoln 22%

Roosevelt 18%

Washington 9%

Presidents & History

Obama is assured of his place in history as our first black president, but it is far too early to say if his term in office will be exceptional in any other way, either positively or negatively. If he manages to launch an effective rescue plan for our financial system before too long, say within 2 months, barring a Katrina sized catastrophe, his first term will have to be counted a success, and he is assured of a second term, and if his much vaunted diplomatic skills stops Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons and reaches some reasonable accommodation with Russia and he makes some progress in Afghanistan-Pakistan, history will count him as one of our great presidents. But it's way to early to make predictions.

Washihgton was the Best simply because without him there would have been no others. He could have been King had he wanted. There have been only two men that I know of that look power dead in the eyes and then spit in them. Nelson Mandela who could have been president for life of South African, and George Wahington could have been first king of America. Both men turned that opportunity down flat and there countries are better off today for them having done so.

Washihgton was the Best simply because without him there would have been no others. He could have been King had he wanted. There have been only two men that I know of that look power dead in the eyes and then spit in them. Nelson Mandela who could have been president for life of South African, and George Wahington could have been first king of America. Both men turned that opportunity down flat and there countries are better off today for them having done so.

You have a point. Washington can be considered the best from the point of view that he was the first, and therefore set many precedents.

Our greatest presidents were FDR and Lincoln.

No one else faced the challenges of the caliber they faced.

Yes cause you know Washington didn't face a revolutionary war, and then Actually STARTING A NATION.

Please.

FDR was a great war leader, great president? Not so sure about that one. We are struggling today with the ramifications of many of his ideas. SS going Bankrupt, Government spending out of control, an entitlement mentality. Unions so strong they can kill the very industry that feeds them with their demands. I could go on, but the point is we have FDR to thank for much of that, and he is new deal is falsely given credit for ending the Depression.

Fact is the Vast majority of Economist Agree it was WWII, the massive spending on goods, and massive employment that came with it, that ended the depression.

Economist are split on the New deal. Some think it helped, some think it actually prolonged the Depression.

So I would not rate FDR at the top. Yes he was a great war leader, but as I said no so much over all as president.

Yes cause you know Washington didn't face a revolutionary war, and then Actually STARTING A NATION.

Please.

FDR was a great war leader, great president? Not so sure about that one. We are struggling today with the ramifications of many of his ideas. SS going Bankrupt, Government spending out of control, an entitlement mentality. Unions so strong they can kill the very industry that feeds them with their demands. I could go on, but the point is we have FDR to thank for much of that, and he is new deal is falsely given credit for ending the Depression.

Fact is the Vast majority of Economist Agree it was WWII, the massive spending on goods, and massive employment that came with it, that ended the depression.

Economist are split on the New deal. Some think it helped, some think it actually prolonged the Depression.

So I would not rate FDR at the top. Yes he was a great war leader, but as I said no so much over all as president.

Hold on-WWII brought us out of the depression? You do realize that that was a massive government effort?

And the only economists who are saying that the New Deal prolonged the Depression are historical revisionists who want to wish it away because they don't like what Obama's doing, which is similar to the New Deal.

Please.

Hold on-WWII brought us out of the depression? You do realize that that was a massive government effort?

And the only economists who are saying that the New Deal prolonged the Depression are historical revisionists who want to wish it away because they don't like what Obama's doing, which is similar to the New Deal.

Neither the New Deal nor World War 2 brought us out of the Depression. Austrian economists have been saying this for many years before Obama came along.

Please.

Neither the New Deal nor World War 2 brought us out of the Depression. Austrian economists have been saying this for many years before Obama came along.

Too bad Austrian economists have about as much credibility as the National Enquirer.

Too bad Austrian economists have about as much credibility as the National Enquirer.

Unlike the National Enquirer, however, the Austrian-economists have a habit of being correct.

Unlike the National Enquirer, however, the Austrian-economists have a habit of being correct.

If by "correct" you mean "pointing out the glaringly obvious while offering no viable alternatives", then yes, I agree.

If by "correct" you mean "pointing out the glaringly obvious while offering no viable alternatives", then yes, I agree.

The glaringly obvious being that the New Deal did in fact prolong the Great Depression? The viable alternative would have been letting the market correct itself.

The glaringly obvious being that the New Deal did in fact prolong the Great Depression? The viable alternative would have been letting the market correct itself.

Yes, the market would correct itself by destroying the entire economy.

Yes, the market would correct itself by destroying the entire economy.

I'll need you to define what you mean by "destroy." However, the market corrects itself by reallocating resources from insolvent institutions into more productive ones.

Forum List

Back