Our favorite native son died yesterday

soonerthunder22

May 18, 2014
My wife and I are in a really sad mood today. James Garner passed away yesterday in his Brentwood home of natural causes.

We met Jim a couple of times...the last time was when he came to Norman, Oklahoma to attend a ceremony dedicating a statue to him and letting him know how proud we were of him and the way he conducted his life and relationships. I'm sure there were probably lots of attractive women who threw themselves at him, but he was true to Lois for all their 58 years together.

He was a huge fan of OU and even signed my copy of "The First One Hundred Years of Oklahoma Football." Jim always managed to get back home for a game or two every year until his health just wouldn't permit it.

I'm probably telling you stuff that you don't care anything about, but you will have to bear with me, my emotions are running crazy today. We cared a lot about Jim (the whole state) and he going to be deeply missed here in Oklahoma, as well as worldwide.

They just don't make 'em like Jim Garner anymore. He really was a Maverick.

My brother and I were talking about his death today. He made me aware of something I didn't know, or had forgot about.
He said that my mom talked about playing in her front yard with Jim for several years when she was a little kid, as they were neighbors and attended school together.
So today I decided to do a little research, and sure enough he was just three weeks older than my mom, and he was born and raised in Norman Oklahoma where my mom was born and raised, so I guess it could be true.

I must of seen this movie 30 times when I was a kid.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW3vklH3oYM]Support Your Local Sheriff, gun and finger - YouTube[/ame]

It's a classic!

That's funny, I thought Will Rogers was the all time top, number one son of Okiehoma? You young Okies don't remember?

Last edited:
Who of that age didn't feel a special warmth toward him and the characters he portrayed?

I'm watching Rockford Files right now and that's the way i'll always remember him.

Young and sorta dashing.

Forum List

Back