Our Brindled Staffy obsessing over a red squirrel

Far, far less humans are killed by dogs of any breed than are killed by people. Your stats mean nothing out of context.

Sorry, but if you have to double wrap the leash on a 65lb dog you are NOT in control of your dog. I'm a slight 126lb female who walks, well walked, haven't done any walking since having surgery, a 132lb lab,pitt, great dane mix and a border collie, retriever mix with a slack chain and never once worried about them taking off or lunging. They knew better. They knew the ONLY reason that would be tolerated was IF something or someone was after me. Of course then I would just let them go. If your dog walks you instead of you walking him, you do NOT have control of your animal.

Some may say it's a cliche but I believe it fully.....there are NO bad dogs, there are only bad owners.

Sorry, but if you have to double wrap the leash on a 65lb dog you are NOT in control of your dog. I'm a slight 126lb female who walks, well walked, haven't done any walking since having surgery, a 132lb lab,pitt, great dane mix and a border collie, retriever mix with a slack chain and never once worried about them taking off or lunging. They knew better. They knew the ONLY reason that would be tolerated was IF something or someone was after me. Of course then I would just let them go. If your dog walks you instead of you walking him, you do NOT have control of your animal.

Some may say it's a cliche but I believe it fully.....there are NO bad dogs, there are only bad owners.
I'm a 225 pound male, and you may rest assured that my dog (when when she was alive) DID NOT walk me. Yes I let her lead me when we were in our 40 acres of woods, so that she could satisfy her curiosity about all the things that might be going on outside her 1-acre chain link fenced-in area, which during the day she could hear but not see up close.

While on a leash, I accommodated her as much as possible, even if that meant I had to follow her through brush and brambles. I did not let my 125 pound wife take her for walks because I knew the risk.

I walked her nightly for 10 of the 13 years she lived (yes nightly), and she never once got "loose" from me when we were off our property. The only time I recall that did happpen was on our own property, and that was when the ground hog suprised us while we were in the "barn-lot" when it (the ground-hog) came out of the barn.

Last edited:
American Horse....yet you still say you will not let your 125lb wife walk your 65lb dog because of the risks. In other words, your dog is uncontrollable. You are only able to do so because of your size. Your wife should be able to walk your dog the same way I walk mine. With not a care in the world. I walked both of mine at the same time and never once worried about any risk. I stand by what I said...if you have to double wrap the leash on a 65lb dog you do not have control of your animal. I'm sorry if that offends you. Also, by "accomodating" your dog he is in fact walking you. If you really had control of your dog you would never have had to put her on a leash while out exploring in the woods. We never do that with the mutants. They come when called and they stay pretty close to "mom and dad" while sniffing out all those things they heard from in inside of the fence but couldn't get to at the time.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know losing a companion like that is tough. I'm sitting here with one of mine's head in my lap and I couldn't imagine them not being here.

American Horse....yet you still say you will not let your 125lb wife walk your 65lb dog because of the risks. In other words, your dog is uncontrollable. You are only able to do so because of your size. Your wife should be able to walk your dog the same way I walk mine. With not a care in the world. I walked both of mine at the same time and never once worried about any risk. I stand by what I said...if you have to double wrap the leash on a 65lb dog you do not have control of your animal. I'm sorry if that offends you. Also, by "accomodating" your dog he is in fact walking you. If you really had control of your dog you would never have had to put her on a leash while out exploring in the woods. We never do that with the mutants. They come when called and they stay pretty close to "mom and dad" while sniffing out all those things they heard from in inside of the fence but couldn't get to at the time.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know losing a companion like that is tough. I'm sitting here with one of mine's head in my lap and I couldn't imagine them not being here.

Have it your way.

My purpose in the thread was to suggest to people who own a breed like staffies, or pitbulls, that they should walk them as often, nightly if at all possible. I did that until she was old and crippled from strokes and arthritis. She only knew love. (I'm sure you have doubts about that too.)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back