Our Brindled Staffy obsessing over a red squirrel

Discussion in 'Pets' started by American Horse, Dec 3, 2009.

1. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    Which was teasing her from a limb above. She guarded her "swimming" pool to keep the squirrels from drinking from it. I put the pool - a round four foot kiddy pool - just far enough from the tree trunk that the squirrel could get "caught short" in it's get-away, but close enough to be irresistible. This arrangement set up a tension between our dog "Babe" and the squirrels.

She caught one on occasion.

Attached Files:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ22BmVEIZE[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. American Horse

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    :clap2: :clap2:

4. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Our dogs kill anything that enter their backyard. That includes rats, snakes, possums, raccoons and squirrels.

5. American Horse

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    Our dog (was) a Staffy, which lots of people confuse with a Pit-bull-Terrier. To make sure people didn't complain too much, and just in case she got off her leash, I chain-link fenced about an acre of our semi-wooded back yard. Occasionally a cat would get in there, and there was no way it could get away by climbing a tree because they would always stop and look back to see if she was still after them; a fatal mistake. She would run straight up the tree and grab it if they didn’t get high enough. Once on the ground she would violently shake it to death, and the same with squirrels, ground squirrels, snakes, whatever, and then lay the body down and watch for any kind of movement. She would prod them with her nose, or turn them over with a paw to see if they would respond. The least amount of movement earned them another violent shake.

We had moles in our front yard but none in the fenced-in area. She would stalk them by sound, watching for any movement in the blades of grass.

One day from a distance I saw her shaking a large red squirrel. Immediately she began burying it in an area sparsely covered by leaves. By the time I took time out to have a look she had buried it so well that I couldn't tell where it was buried.

Another time outside the fenced area, in the open, she pulled the leash out of my hand - I wouldn't allow someone as small as my wife take her on a leash - to go after a very large ground-hog which was taking up residence tunneling in the dirt floor of our barn. I had to get close enough to pull her off and then fell on my arse while doing it. Thank god this big old ground-hog took the opportunity get away by running under the sheet-metal skirt of the barn because she managed to squirm away from me to go after it.

6. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897

seems you just admitted you cant control your dog....as a doberman owner i find people who cant control their dogs.....irresponsible at best..idiots at worst.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. American Horse

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    Thank you for that Bones. We lived in a secluded area which I still did keep fenced. Any time I was around people or any other possible prey I double wrapped her leash around my hand, recognizing that she weighed 65 pounds. this was a suirprise appearance by the ground hog in a place I felt entirely safe, our barn lot. Also this dog was absolutely no threat to people, only animals.

But again thanks for your opinion, and the opportunity to clear things up a bit which you just gave me.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897
    you should always be in control....regardless of the circumstances...you know that....face it..we are fighting..."dangerous dog" people all over the place...i cannot get a blanket policy for my insurance due to owning a doberman....it just goes on and on....and one thing that doesnt help....any large dogs committing any small infraction....just look a manie's threads on pits...and i assure you...mani makes no distinction between the staffy and the pitt...my dobie is a sweet loving dog...but he is like a bowling ball to a group of wee ones..they just go flying...so i have be real careful...he is 100 lbs....but dobies are sweet...the staffies i have been around have been too..except to little things....a friends could chase down a mouse..kill it and be back at your feet before you realized it.

9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    My terrier kills her prey then walks away from it. It takes her two seconds, she's not interested in it once it's dead. It's like it NEVER HAPPENED.

She obsesses over birds that are stupid enough to fly over our yard. She watches them. And if they make the mistake of coming in for a landing outside the fence and the fence happense to be open, she can race through the gate, around the yard, and grab the bird while it's 4 feet off the ground.

She also nailed a mole that was wreaking havoc with our yard. mole hills all over the place, drove her nuts. Finally one day I came home and found the thing, dead, outside the fence. She grabbed it, shook it, let it fly. It only takes her one good shake.

You have a big dog your wife can't control that kills things, keep him in the compound. And pray he never gets out.

My son has an 80 lb pit bull. He can take him anywhere. He does pull on the leash, and he is rambunctious. But he's not vicious and he doesn't kill things. Love kids, and the only dogs that bother him are aggressive, large males who contront him in a threatening manner. Even then he doesn't jump right on them, he just steps up and waits to see what will happen. By then the situation is under control, even if it means my boy picking him up and carrying him away.

Every opportunity he gets he sleeps with whomever will let him, and he hogs the bed. When he comes to visit, before we had Mylo, I was the lucky person. He thinks I'm his mommy, he minds me better than he minds his real mommy and I think better than he minds his daddy as well. But I am pretty tolerant of his occasional over-exhuberant racing around when he first shows up, and that ridiculous tail. I keep telling the boy to take bolt cutters to it (just kidding). My son is like, "He needs it, I don't want to have it cut" and I tell him, "What the hell does he need that ridiculous whippet tail for? He just lashes people in the face with it and knocks things off table with it".

But we watch him like a hawk. He's never done anything bad, and he'll never be given the opportunity to do anything bad. He is well socialized, and knows better than to mess with little critters. I have two cats, he doesn't touch them.

I don't know if a Staffordshire is a terrier (are they????). Terriers are the only dogs I've ever seen that you can't out-train that instinct completely. Thankfully, I only do the small ones. Never been interested in immense ones..though I suppose technically Pits are terriers. At least they call them terriers. But like I said, though he's well trained and loved, and controllable, we keep a flipping eagle eye on him all the time.

10. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    My unbridled stiffy obsesses over Courtney Friel...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]