OSHA targets shooting range

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
OSHA is worried about lead exposure at Illinois Gun Works.

The press release makes things sound almost reasonable.

The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Illinois Gun Works Ltd. for 28 alleged health violations following a Jan. 21 inspection referred by the Illinois Department of Public Health that found two gun range operators were exposed to airborne lead levels up to 12 times the permissible level. Proposed fines total $111,000.

"Illinois Gun Works has a responsibility to protect the health of its employees by ensuring that they operate in a manner which eliminates or minimizes lead hazards, including exposure," said Diane Turek, director of OSHA's Chicago North Area Office in Des Plaines. "OSHA is committed to protecting employees' safety and health."
2012 - 06/11/2012 - US Department of Labor's OSHA cites Illinois Gun Works for exposing workers to lead, other hazards at Elmwood Park, Ill., plant

The citation (pdf) is much more interesting reading.

I love the recommendations that they stop using large caliber guns, like 9 mm and .45 caliber, to train with, and that they switch to smaller caliber guns. I don't know what the law says in Illinois, but don't most states require firearm safety to be done with the actual gun you want to get a carry permit for? The recommendation to prohibit any shotguns and/or rifles firing in the firing range. (page 6)

I don't usually buy into conspiracy theories, but I might make an exception if OSHA thinks that gun owners shouldn't be allowed to use anything bigger than a 22LR when they train.

Hell, the damn pocketbooks women buy have lead 200 times the acceptable level, why aren't they going after that problem?

Forum List

Back