Origins of life article by Univ of Chicago

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ

Fascinating

I've already read a really Good Book that perfectly explained the origins of everything &, even though it was written thousands of years ago, has already chronicled & recorded the conditions we are presently seeing.

What are the odds an ancient book would be so accurate unless the author wasn't constrained by time & space?
There's even less chance of that then the impossible odds that inorganic & lifeless chemicals combined under primordial conditions & suddenly sparked to life by chance.

BTW- it may look bad now but God wins & so do we if we just keep the faith, no matter what comes

Strawman alert! Proteins we see today are the result of billions of years of evolution. The first life was certainly very, very simple, it only had to grow and divide.
Then it should not be hard creating life in a lab

Good luck with that, no one can do it.

Fascinating
Not as fascinating as the support evidence for having been visited on five different occasions and been DNA altered/ adapted .

Which Fs up consensus MSM and makes the Christian case even harder to assemble , let alone comprehend .

Which is why academia refuses yet to even give it credence -- without looking at the evidence , of course .

Lol when the earth formed there was no life. They are suggesting life evolved from nothing.

Then it should not be hard creating life in a lab

Good luck with that, no one can do it.
On the other hand, the thousands of gods created by humans are so numerous, they're a dime-a-dozen.

So a God-of-the-Gaps position? What if someone announced they did it tomorrow?
Science man

Experimentation, observation.

What is your hypothesis as to why your beliefs to not produce life in a lab?

Crystals?

Diamonds?

Blue leaf clovers?

22-lucky-charms.w700.h700.jpg

Wut?

And when the earth was it was void if life. Life is not created from nothing.
I'm not clear on the "life is not created from nothing", meme. The basic building blocks of life are abundant in the universe.

Which of the gods were created for nothing? I see nothing to suggest that any of the gods could have been created from nothing. All the gods are of human creation, unless you have some evidence of supernatural creation.

Fascinating
I am not a Biblical creationist in the sense that God spoke and voila! this or that appeared as we know it today. I take the creation stories as metaphors for how it all came to be and to emphasize that it was all by God's hand/God's voice/God's will. (That is my personal belief though I do not presume to know why He did it the way He did. I hope to get that question answered some day.)

I have studied and would teach Darwinism with a clear conscience as mostly valid, but I would not teach science in an environment where some concept of intelligent design was not allowed or the students were not allowed to express their religious beliefs. I would not teach in an environment in which nobody was allowed to question or disbelieve.

I would not teach in an environment that didn't allow me to tell my students that science does not have an answer for every question, every contingency.

I cannot accept that sentient life as we know it just happened from inert substances no matter how chaotic billions of years ago.

Because I believe in a personal higher being that I call God, it is easy for me to believe He was the author of all that is. But if I was teaching science I would tell my students that there are many theories of how life began on Earth and very likely elsewhere in the Universe:

--the big Boss theory (the Biblical view.)
--the intelligent design theory (Spinoza & Einstein's view.)
--the everything just happened by coincidence theory (secular science.)

And as yet nobody has been able to scientifically prove any of them as fact. Which does not mean that any of them is wrong, that there is not some truth in all.

I will leave the intelligent design theory to Spinoza and Einstein and will leave the big Boss theory to your Rabbis, preachers, Sunday school teachers to explore with you.

This class will explore the pure scientific theories of how the universe began, how the Earth came to be, and why things are as they are. You are not required to believe it but you are required to know it to pass this class.

I'm not clear on the "life is not created from nothing", meme. The basic building blocks of life are abundant in the universe.

Which of the gods were created for nothing? I see nothing to suggest that any of the gods could have been created from nothing. All the gods are of human creation, unless you have some evidence of supernatural creation.
We are talking about earth and other planets. Nothing can survive the insane force and energy involved in creating a planet. When planets are formed they are void of life. That's a fact. Relative to God and the creator that so far above anyone's understanding.

Strawman alert! Proteins we see today are the result of billions of years of evolution. The first life was certainly very, very simple, it only had to grow and divide.
No.

Simpler than that.

It has to survive "as a population" long enough to learn how to divide. Self replication is not easy, it's very complicated.

For cells to survive "as a population", the rate of refreshment has to equal or exceed the rate of destruction. That's all, nothing more is needed.

The idea is, you need a "stable population of a large enough size", so the biophysical forces have time to do their thing.

There are for instance ionic conditions that favor micelle creation. If you get a large enough population of micelles for long enough, they'll start ingesting ingredients from the surrounding fluid, and making use of them.

it's a long way from a dividing micelle to a self replicating cell. Millions of years

Forum List

Back