Oregon Transgender Teacher Wins $60,000 Settlement After Co-Workers Wouldn't Call Her "They"

This is stupid

But the OP being mad at Frivolous lawsuits except when Trump does it is even stupider

What does Trump have to do with this? Don't be "That guy"

Yeah, I went there. Frivolous lawsuits

Go start a thread about frivolous Trump lawsuits. There have been a few.

That's irrelevant to this topic and I don't understand why you partisans always do that. Don't deflect, just join us in laughing at this loon who sued over the wrong pronoun, and mourn with us that she won.

In many other languages (French, German, Russian and host of others) there is a different way to address people with whom a person is in a friendly and familiar relationship as opposed to addressing people in authority or deserving higher respect.

Serious shortcoming of all those languages, and totally phony at that, because they address God in the less respectful way.

Go figure.

P.S. English is the simplest, yet the most powerful language in the world.

English isn't the simplest language, and not necessarily the most powerful either. How do you rate power? By the ability to use the words? By the countries that use the language?

English is the most widely spoken second language, and probably the most learned language.

I learned English while working in mines, cutting trees in the bush, drinking beer with my fellow workers and each and every minute in that learning process I was grateful that I did not have to worry about the shit I mentioned in my previous post and more importantly, the fact that I did not have to worry about declensions and conjugations and all that crap in Russian, German, French, Latin and Greek which I studied and hated.

Your last sentence contradicts what you said before it.

If you learn a language from both, you don't worry about the grammar at all.

In fact I know plenty of people who'd struggle with some of these questions, but could speak them properly if they wanted to.

For example.

Why, when you use two or more verbs together, do some of the verbs have "to" in between and others don't?

I can go to the park.
I want to go to the park.

Which is correct?

"I speak good" or "I speak well" and why is one good and one bad?

You don't think about it, you just say it, and many people get it right. That's how the brain functions. Germans don't have to think about whether it's "das Haus", "die Haus", "der Haus", they just know it's "das Haus".

No, my last sentence doesn't contradict.

You said it was the most powerful language. It depends what you mean by "powerful" as it can have many meanings. Such as, people who express themselves using a language can do it so much better when speaking English rather than all other languages because English is the most powerful language.

A language doesn't have power simply because the countries who use it are powerful.

China will be a world powerhouse, yet Chinese may not become a language to match the power of China. But could none the less be considered "powerful" in the sense you want it to mean.

This is stupid

But the OP being mad at Frivolous lawsuits except when Trump does it is even stupider

What does Trump have to do with this? Don't be "That guy"

Yeah, I went there. Frivolous lawsuits

Go start a thread about frivolous Trump lawsuits. There have been a few.

That's irrelevant to this topic and I don't understand why you partisans always do that. Don't deflect, just join us in laughing at this loon who sued over the wrong pronoun, and mourn with us that she won.

Oh I am laughing about both things. OP's first sentence sought to blame Obama. Sorry, not sorry.

Great post.... not.

How about I prove it....

they: definition of they in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

2 [singular] Used to refer to a person of unspecified gender: ask someone if they could help'"

Definition of “they” | Collins English Dictionary

"(not standard) refers to an indefinite antecedent such as one, whoever, or anybody ⇒ if anyone objects, they can go"

Oh, there we go, it can be used in the singular when you don't know the specific gender.

Like "I'm going out with my friend, they are a happy person".

In the two examples you quoted, 'someone' and 'anyone' imply singular.

So, those quotes are phony. You may have put them on the board with different color, in order to create the illusion of authenticity, but the "definition" is nothing but the product of your politically correct imagination.

According to my dictionary the definition of "they" is plural of he, she and it.

Only ignorant people would use "they" for anything singular. You know, the same kind of people who would say: "three AM in the morning".

Yes, "they" is the plural of he, she and it.

You is the plural you. It's also used for an impersonal you. Words often have more than one meaning, do you know this concept?

The reality is that "they" can be used when you don't want to say he or she. You can deny it, I don't care. The reality is it is so.

What the fuck? Not only is that stupid, who gives a flying fuck?

You can't possibly support a lawsuit for being called by the wrong pronoun.

I didn't make a comment on whether the lawsuit was right or not. I made a comment on the FACT that "they" is used in the singular in the English language. It clearly is.

Except that it is ONLY acceptable to use they as a singular when used as a third person singular antecedent.

Damn the educational system in this country has failed.

Well, in general pronouns refer back to something we already know. So, using "they" as a singular pronoun will refer back to something that has probably already been mentioned, or expressed in some way, the say as "he", "she" or "it".

But the point being that you can use "they" as a singular pronoun. You seem to agree with me.

So, those quotes are phony. You may have put them on the board with different color, in order to create the illusion of authenticity, but the "definition" is nothing but the product of your politically correct imagination.

According to my dictionary the definition of "they" is plural of he, she and it.

Only ignorant people would use "they" for anything singular. You know, the same kind of people who would say: "three AM in the morning".

You is the plural you. It's also used for an impersonal you. Words often have more than one meaning, do you know this concept?

The reality is that "they" can be used when you don't want to say he or she. You can deny it, I don't care. The reality is it is so.

I didn't make a comment on whether the lawsuit was right or not. I made a comment on the FACT that "they" is used in the singular in the English language. It clearly is.

Except that it is ONLY acceptable to use they as a singular when used as a third person singular antecedent.

Well, in general pronouns refer back to something we already know. So, using "they" as a singular pronoun will refer back to something that has probably already been mentioned, or expressed in some way, the say as "he", "she" or "it".

But the point being that you can use "they" as a singular pronoun. You seem to agree with me.

Oh . . . my . . . god. Can't we get this douche thread banned or something? Having to scroll through these ridiculous posts is just a nuisance.

Cant you partisan idiots ever just say " I was wrong?"

There is a specific instance when using they for the singular is acceptable. This wasn't it.

There is a specific instance when using they for the singular is acceptable. This wasn't it.

I'm not a "partisan idiot" and I'm not wrong.

You say there's a "specific instance" for when they're acceptable. This "specific instance" just happens to be about the same as when we use all pronouns. So.... what's your point.

Unless of course you can show me evidence of where you can use a pronoun "he", "she" or "it" without ever having referred back to a noun or real noun beforehand. "I" and "you" are the easiest to do this with, because they're self identifying. There is only one "I" in this world and that is the person who is speaking it at the time. For "you" there are a few more simply because "you" can be used in the singular or the plural. However we know it's singular when what follows is singular. "You are a pig" is clearly singular.

However for "he", "she" and "it", we need to be referring back to whoever "he", "she" or "it" are.

Novelists can get away with this, and using "they" in the singular would be more problematic as people might get confused. That doesn't change the fact that "they" is being used in a manner which is almost identical to "he", "she" or "it".

As I suspected, Obama has opened up a Pandora's Box where these degenerate people will sue you for anything they deem offensive to them. Anyone still think Obama's transgender nanny that raised him in Indonesia didn't have an influence on him?

Leo-Soell.jpg

Trans Teacher Wins $60,000 Settlement Because Co-Workers Wouldn't Call Her "THEY"
Just more evidence that sending your child to public school is child abuse.

You say there's a "specific instance" for when they're acceptable. This "specific instance" just happens to be about the same as when we use all pronouns. So.... what's your point.

Unless of course you can show me evidence of where you can use a pronoun "he", "she" or "it" without ever having referred back to a noun or real noun beforehand. "I" and "you" are the easiest to do this with, because they're self identifying. There is only one "I" in this world and that is the person who is speaking it at the time. For "you" there are a few more simply because "you" can be used in the singular or the plural. However we know it's singular when what follows is singular. "You are a pig" is clearly singular.

However for "he", "she" and "it", we need to be referring back to whoever "he", "she" or "it" are.

Novelists can get away with this, and using "they" in the singular would be more problematic as people might get confused. That doesn't change the fact that "they" is being used in a manner which is almost identical to "he", "she" or "it".

LOL you're an idiot.

Moving on

LOL you're an idiot.

Moving on

Your WHOLE ARGUMENT is a personal insult. And you're trying to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about? You can't even come back at this.

Do you know what the ignore list is? I use it for insulters like you.

In many other languages (French, German, Russian and host of others) there is a different way to address people with whom a person is in a friendly and familiar relationship as opposed to addressing people in authority or deserving higher respect.

Serious shortcoming of all those languages, and totally phony at that, because they address God in the less respectful way.

Go figure.

P.S. English is the simplest, yet the most powerful language in the world.

English used to have that as well.

“Thee” used to be the familiar, intimate form, with “you” being the more formal form.

Many of the other languages assign“gender” to inanimate objects; with most nouns being either masculine or feminine.

And on other oddity—according t an article that I read a very long time ago, there is something deeply programmed in the human brain, that wants to emphasize negative statements by doubling up on the negative words. Most languages are structure so that it makes sense to do so, but English is not. In English, the use of the double-negative is incorrect, and ends up causing one to literally say the opposite of what one means.

Forum List

Back