Oregon Transgender Teacher Wins $60,000 Settlement After Co-Workers Wouldn't Call Her "They"

Great post.... not.

How about I prove it....

they: definition of they in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

2 [singular] Used to refer to a person of unspecified gender: ask someone if they could help'"

Definition of “they” | Collins English Dictionary

"(not standard) refers to an indefinite antecedent such as one, whoever, or anybody ⇒ if anyone objects, they can go"

Oh, there we go, it can be used in the singular when you don't know the specific gender.

Like "I'm going out with my friend, they are a happy person".

In the two examples you quoted, 'someone' and 'anyone' imply singular.

So, those quotes are phony. You may have put them on the board with different color, in order to create the illusion of authenticity, but the "definition" is nothing but the product of your politically correct imagination.

According to my dictionary the definition of "they" is plural of he, she and it.

Only ignorant people would use "they" for anything singular. You know, the same kind of people who would say: "three AM in the morning".

Yes, "they" is the plural of he, she and it.

You is the plural you. It's also used for an impersonal you. Words often have more than one meaning, do you know this concept?

The reality is that "they" can be used when you don't want to say he or she. You can deny it, I don't care. The reality is it is so.

What the fuck? Not only is that stupid, who gives a flying fuck?

You can't possibly support a lawsuit for being called by the wrong pronoun.

I didn't make a comment on whether the lawsuit was right or not. I made a comment on the FACT that "they" is used in the singular in the English language. It clearly is.
It is also incorrect. Ain't is used instead of is not. It is also incorrect. It makes the user an ignorant dolt.

If English wasn't a hard enough language. Now they means she/he.
It meant that yesterday, last week, last year, and three decades ago too.
Liar.

Great post.... not.

How about I prove it....

2 [singular] Used to refer to a person of unspecified gender: ask someone if they could help'"

"(not standard) refers to an indefinite antecedent such as one, whoever, or anybody ⇒ if anyone objects, they can go"

Oh, there we go, it can be used in the singular when you don't know the specific gender.

So, those quotes are phony. You may have put them on the board with different color, in order to create the illusion of authenticity, but the "definition" is nothing but the product of your politically correct imagination.

According to my dictionary the definition of "they" is plural of he, she and it.

Only ignorant people would use "they" for anything singular. You know, the same kind of people who would say: "three AM in the morning".

You is the plural you. It's also used for an impersonal you. Words often have more than one meaning, do you know this concept?

The reality is that "they" can be used when you don't want to say he or she. You can deny it, I don't care. The reality is it is so.
There is no plural of you. Youse guys is incorrect.

Great post.... not.

How about I prove it....

I didn't make a comment on whether the lawsuit was right or not. I made a comment on the FACT that "they" is used in the singular in the English language. It clearly is.
It is also incorrect. Ain't is used instead of is not. It is also incorrect. It makes the user an ignorant dolt.

No, actually it's not incorrect and doesn't make the user sound ignorant either.

"I'm going out with a friend, they're my best friend" sounds perfectly legit to me, and it's also taught as correct English too, and it's also in the dictionary as correct speech.

Liar.

Great post.... not.

How about I prove it....

You is the plural of you.

As in, if you speak Spanish, the translation of "tu" is more or less you. "tu vas" is "you go", "vosotros vais" is "you go" or "you all go", which is the plural.

"You are a pig" and "you are pigs" are both correct, the latter isn't one person being multiple pigs.

No, actually it's not incorrect and doesn't make the user sound ignorant either.

"I'm going out with a friend, they're my best friend" sounds perfectly legit to me, and it's also taught as correct English too, and it's also in the dictionary as correct speech.
It is incorrect in every English class.

No, it's not.

ain't: definition of ain't in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

"The use of ain’t was widespread in the 18th century and is still perfectly normal in many dialects and informal contexts in both North America and Britain. Today, however, it does not form part of standard English and should not be used in formal contexts."

Ain't is part of dialect and should not be used in formal language.

"1 The word they (with its counterparts them, their, and themselves) as a singular pronoun to refer to a person of unspecified gender has been used since at least the 16th century."

So, you're only about 300 years late.

"In the late 20th century, as the traditional use of he to refer to a person of either sex came under scrutiny on the grounds of sexism, this use of they has become more common."

"It is now generally accepted in contexts where it follows an indefinite pronoun such as anyone, no one, someone, or a person: anyone can join if they are a resident; each to their own."

"In other contexts, coming after singular nouns, the use of they is now common"

"in view of the growing acceptance of they and its obvious practical advantages, they is used in this dictionary in many cases where he would have been used formerly."

Great post.... not.

How about I prove it....

As in, if you speak Spanish, the translation of "tu" is more or less you. "tu vas" is "you go", "vosotros vais" is "you go" or "you all go", which is the plural.

"You are a pig" and "you are pigs" are both correct, the latter isn't one person being multiple pigs.
English is not your first language. I get that. You are pigs is incorrect. You are all pigs would be correct you would be the qualifier for the word all. You are pigs is just nonsense.

You should have looked up the definition of the word they which is plural unless it refers to an unspecified third person. Your best friend is not unspecified.

Definition of THEY

No, it's not.

"The use of ain’t was widespread in the 18th century and is still perfectly normal in many dialects and informal contexts in both North America and Britain. Today, however, it does not form part of standard English and should not be used in formal contexts."

"1 The word they (with its counterparts them, their, and themselves) as a singular pronoun to refer to a person of unspecified gender has been used since at least the 16th century."

"In the late 20th century, as the traditional use of he to refer to a person of either sex came under scrutiny on the grounds of sexism, this use of they has become more common."

"It is now generally accepted in contexts where it follows an indefinite pronoun such as anyone, no one, someone, or a person: anyone can join if they are a resident; each to their own."

"in view of the growing acceptance of they and its obvious practical advantages, they is used in this dictionary in many cases where he would have been used formerly."
You can't read either.

Get an education.

Great post.... not.

How about I prove it....

English is not your first language. I get that. You are pigs is incorrect. You are all pigs would be correct you would be the qualifier for the word all. You are pigs is just nonsense.

You should have looked up the definition of the word they which is plural unless it refers to an unspecified third person. Your best friend is not unspecified.

Definition of THEY

Oh my God.

It's really quite funny when people start saying stuff that's just complete nonsense, and you're being rather funny right now.

I can't believe someone has said "you are pigs" isn't proper English.

No, it's not.

You can't read either.

Get an education.

Which bit of it can't I read?

The bit where it says "singular" in reference to "they"? The bit where it says "is now common"? Which part?

Liar.

Great post.... not.

How about I prove it....

Yous guys, I hear it all the time. :D

Great post.... not.

How about I prove it....

Yeah, this is a way of people distinguishing between you singular and you plural. It's not considered "correct", but you is considered the correct for the plural.

you: definition of you in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

"[second person singular or plural]"

"1.1Used to refer to the person being addressed together with other people regarded in the same class: you Australians"

Great post.... not.

How about I prove it....

Yeah, this is a way of people distinguishing between you singular and you plural. It's not considered "correct", but you is considered the correct for the plural.

you: definition of you in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

"[second person singular or plural]"

"1.1Used to refer to the person being addressed together with other people regarded in the same class: you Australians"

Shut up, will "they?"

In many other languages (French, German, Russian and host of others) there is a different way to address people with whom a person is in a friendly and familiar relationship as opposed to addressing people in authority or deserving higher respect.

Serious shortcoming of all those languages, and totally phony at that, because they address God in the less respectful way.

Go figure.

P.S. English is the simplest, yet the most powerful language in the world.

In many other languages (French, German, Russian and host of others) there is a different way to address people with whom a person is in a friendly and familiar relationship as opposed to addressing people in authority or deserving higher respect.

Serious shortcoming of all those languages, and totally phony at that, because they address God in the less respectful way.

Go figure.

English isn't the simplest language, and not necessarily the most powerful either. How do you rate power? By the ability to use the words? By the countries that use the language?

English is the most widely spoken second language, and probably the most learned language.

This lawsuit is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard and just another example of PC gone awry. This person (they) obviously has no business being in charge of anyone, especially not students who are there to learn not to cater to this person's delusions of grandeur. Rein it in nutbars!

This is stupid

But the OP being mad at Frivolous lawsuits except when Trump does it is even stupider

Go figure.

English isn't the simplest language, and not necessarily the most powerful either. How do you rate power? By the ability to use the words? By the countries that use the language?

English is the most widely spoken second language, and probably the most learned language.

I learned English while working in mines, cutting trees in the bush, drinking beer with my fellow workers and each and every minute in that learning process I was grateful that I did not have to worry about the shit I mentioned in my previous post and more importantly, the fact that I did not have to worry about declensions and conjugations and all that crap in Russian, German, French, Latin and Greek which I studied and hated.

Your last sentence contradicts what you said before it.

Great post.... not.

How about I prove it....

Except that it is ONLY acceptable to use they as a singular when used as a third person singular antecedent.

Damn the educational system in this country has failed.

Forum List

Back