Ore. Rep. Moves to Make Cigarettes Prescription-Only, Threatens One Year in Jail...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
And the march towards Totalitarianism goes on.

First they impose a heavy “sin tax.” Then they kick you outdoors. Then they ban you from certain public areas. Now this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XBtLVPkGioc]Bill Proposed in Oregon to Make Cigarettes Prescription Only Drugs! - 1/24/13 - YouTube[/ame]

Rep. Mitch Greenlick, from Portland, is sponsoring a bill that makes cigarettes a Schedule III controlled substance, meaning it would be illegal to possess or distribute cigarettes without a doctor’s prescription,” Fox 12 Oregon reports.

“Other drugs and substances that are considered Schedule III controlled substances are ketamine, lysergic acid and anabolic steroids,” the report adds.

Should the bill pass, and even Rep. Greenlick doesn’t think it will, offenders would face fines of up to $6,250, one year in jail, or both...

Ore. Rep. Moves to Make Cigarettes Prescription-Only, Threatens One Year in Jail and/or $6K+ Fine | Video | TheBlaze.com

Last edited:

First they impose a heavy “sin tax.” Then they kick you outdoors. Then they ban you from certain public areas. Now this:

Bill Proposed in Oregon to Make Cigarettes Prescription Only Drugs! - 1/24/13 - YouTube

Rep. Mitch Greenlick, from Portland, is sponsoring a bill that makes cigarettes a Schedule III controlled substance, meaning it would be illegal to possess or distribute cigarettes without a doctor’s prescription,” Fox 12 Oregon reports.

“Other drugs and substances that are considered Schedule III controlled substances are ketamine, lysergic acid and anabolic steroids,” the report adds.

Should the bill pass, and even Rep. Greenlick doesn’t think it will, offenders would face fines of up to $6,250, one year in jail, or both...

Ore. Rep. Moves to Make Cigarettes Prescription-Only, Threatens One Year in Jail and/or $6K+ Fine | Video | TheBlaze.com

Great idea. Tobacco kills and, the cost to tax payers for medical treatment/care, a direct result of smoking, is enormous. I don't support jail for the end user, possibly a drug diversion program wherein they can learn to quit and of the health consequences if they do not. Growers of tobacco are no different than producers/traffickers of narcotics and crack.

Bill Proposed in Oregon to Make Cigarettes Prescription Only Drugs! - 1/24/13 - YouTube

Great idea. Tobacco kills and, the cost to tax payers for medical treatment/care, a direct result of smoking, is enormous. I don't support jail for the end user, possibly a drug diversion program wherein they can learn to quit and of the health consequences if they do not. Growers of tobacco are no different than producers/traffickers of narcotics and crack.

Oregon needs to crack down on the alcohol users too, when they drink and drive they kill innocents, any news on prohibition in Oregon or are they too cowardly?

Here's a great solution. If someone chooses to smoke, then their medical care/treatment is their own expense. There's no logical, decent reason why taxpayers should be dunned to pay for anyone's self-inflicted medical issues. That is another great flaw in the government gimme programs.

Here's a great solution. If someone chooses to smoke, then their medical care/treatment is their own expense. There's no logical, decent reason why taxpayers should be dunned to pay for anyone's self-inflicted medical issues. That is another great flaw in the government gimme programs.

well actually that would include a great many diagnoses,, we can really save money on drug abusers, alcohol abusers, STD's etc etc,, we shouldn't have to pay for attempted suicide either then huh?

Good little Nazi. How sad.

well actually that would include a great many diagnoses,, we can really save money on drug abusers, alcohol abusers, STD's etc etc,, we shouldn't have to pay for attempted suicide either then huh?

Nope. The taxpayer should not be forced to subsidize medical expenses for people whose choices have put them at risk. It isn't like the dangers of risky behavior are some big state secret any more.

What do you expect from a political class/big government mentality that thinks it is okay to require parental consent for a teen to go on a field trip, but not okay to require parental consent for that teen to get an abortion?

What do you expect from a politcal class/big government mentality that thinks it is okay to allow illegals to live, work, receive government benefits and even should be paid a living wage here, but thinks welfare recipients should not be required to work for government benefits they receive?

What do you expect from a political class/big government mentality that thinks recreational drugs, most especially marijuana, that according to some studies is 20 times the carcinogen that tobacco is, should be completely legal but wants more and more restrictions on tobacco. Cannabis more dangerous than tobacco, says report - World - NZ Herald News

I swear that if anybody had told me 30 years ago that our world would ever be this upside down, topsy turvy, and totally bonkers, I would have said they were crazy. And now I think we all probably are to tolerate this kind of absurdity.

Last edited:
What do you expect from a political class/big government mentality that thinks it is okay to require parental consent for a teen to go on a field trip, but not okay to require parental consent for that teen to get an abortion?

What do you expect from a politcal class/big government mentality that thinks it is okay to allow illegals to live, work, receive government benefits and even should be paid a living wage here, but thinks welfare recipients should not be required to work for government benefits they receive?

What do you expect from a political class/big government mentality that thinks recreational drugs, most especially marijuana, that according to some studies is 20 times the carcinogen that tobacco is, should be completely legal but wants more and more restrictions on tobacco. Cannabis more dangerous than tobacco, says report - World - NZ Herald News

I swear that if anybody had told me 30 years ago that our world would ever be this upside down, topsy turvy, and totally bonkers, I would have said they were crazy. And now I think we all probably are to tolerate this kind of absurdity.
Progressivism can't survive without an amazing capacity for self-deception among its adherents and the ability to believe in two mutually-exclusive ideas at the same time.

Nope. The taxpayer should not be forced to subsidize medical expenses for people whose choices have put them at risk. It isn't like the dangers of risky behavior are some big state secret any more.

Well, that solves the health care problem,:clap2:

lol, I suspect a Nazi (good Nazi seems odd) wouldn't allow a scafflaw off so easily as I suggested, more likely the offender would be sent to a labor camp for a shower.

lol, I suspect a Nazi (good Nazi seems odd) wouldn't allow a scafflaw off so easily as I suggested, more likely the offender would be sent to a labor camp for a shower.

Actually, tobacco with around a 90% addiction rate for regular users is worse than cannabis with a 9-10% addiction rate for regular users. That puts cannabis on a par with alcohol as roughly 10% of people who use alcohol on a regular basis will become dependent on it. But the studies also show that smoking one average marijuana cigarette contains the equivalent in carcingogens as a whole pack of tobacco cigarettes.

How about we make the rule that anybody suffering consequences for their bad habit of using any harmful substance be personally responsible for those consequences.

And with that in mind, if I don't want tobacco or alcohol or marijuana or caffiene or any other legal but potentially harmful substance in my home or establishment, I shouldn't be required to have it. And if you do want any or all of those things in your home or establishment, you should have them.

But don't expect anybody else to pay for the consequences of using any or all of those substances other than the person using them.

Criminalizing more good & decent American Citizens. Thank you Big Brother. What would we do without you?

Criminalizing more good & decent American Citizens. Thank you Big Brother. What would we do without you?

I think you ought to do a little research before invoking "totalitarianism" and "Big Brother" in describing our country. No only is it inappropriate hyperbole, it exposes you as an itinerant troll.

I think you ought to do a little research before invoking "totalitarianism" and "Big Brother" in describing our country. No only is it inappropriate hyperbole, it exposes you as an itinerant troll.

You represent the worst in humanity. Your criminalizing of more good & decent American Citizens is despicable. I just hope & pray your Totalitarian wet-dream never becomes reality. We are currently heading there, but it's not too late to reverse course. I still have faith in humanity. They can turn it around. I truly believe that. However, it looks like you're a lost cause.

He wasn't using 'totalitarianism' or 'Big Brother' to describe our country. He was using those terms related to the OP that refers to a politician proposing criminalization of tobacco use without a prescription. And while evoking Godwin's law from either side is not constructive to the debate, refocusing the debate on the messenger is not constructive either.

You seem to be on record that you support the initiative to criminalize non medical tobacco use. What other legal substances would you like to see criminalized? And do you think it is good that government at any level would have authority to criminalize anything that we chose to eat, drink, smoke, or otherwise use?

Do you draw the line anywhere in that concept?

Forum List

Back