Open Carry, a good idea?

How many murderour gun rages have people with a LICENSE TO CARRY committed in the this nation in the last 50 years?

I don't know, but I'll venture a guess.

ZERO.(not including cops of course)

How many murderour gun rages have people with a LICENSE TO CARRY committed in the this nation in the last 50 years?

See, I'm betting it's higher than zero.

...but still less than those without a license to carry. A lot less.

I open carry occasionally, but usually only when I'm headed to the woods.

In Missouri you can open carry a loaded firearm.

And a person open carrying doesn't worry me in the least.

We are a CCW state so I imagine 10 percent of the population is carrying a gun I can't see.

I do.

The OC person is a visible reminder of the invisible majority.

I've said it before but it's worth repeating.

The police are reactive.

They can't be there to protect you 24/7.

Concealed Carry is proactive...you are taking responsibility for your own protection and the protection of those around you.

Open Carry is a deterrent...a reminder that 'here is one in plain sight, how many others are concealed.'

Police - reactive.

Concealed Carry - proactive.

Open Carry - deterrent.

The consistent problem with these debates is they assume the gun handler is just another normal citizen and the circumstances are such that handling guns results in a peaceful outcome. I sure as heck don't want every hormone ravaged teen armed, or every bitter man, woman, or whatnot armed and dangerous, nor even the good citizen who has no idea what the situation may entail.

When we were teenagers we lived a sort of American graffiti life and would race and drive around, radio too loud looking for girls or ??? Occasionally getting into fights, once a man pulled a gun on us and scared the crap out of everyone. Thankfully we raced off. There are too many situations in life and too many loonies to allow everyone to be armed. Our gun death statistics demonstrate that too clearly.

Come to bed honey
i'll only be a little while
but you've been cleaning those guns all evening
they keep us safe dear
but it's cold up here
come to bed
be up in a bit
- ladder appears at window
- wife looks up surprised
- masked man puts his finger to lips
my husband is downstairs and armed
is he coming up soon
nah cleaning his guns
you look lonely
i am
- they talk
- ruffling sheets
honey what's all that noise up there
nothing dear you clean your guns
- quiet
dear i'm coming to bed now
- muffled reply
- sotto voce
oh she's sleeping so content
- says to himself
isn't it nice being secure
- hugs his gun close
- scene fades

The simple fact is morons like you have been claiming dire calamity in every State that has approved open and concealed carry and it simply HAS NOT HAPPENED.

sorry RGS....but let me correct you....in this instance...its Moron with a capital M

Your inference aside, my initial reaction would be to contact the manager (in the example) and express my concern for the safety of my family, myself and others in the establishment. If the manager did nothing, I would contact the police, identify myself as retired law enforcement, and ask that an officer be dispatched to verity the weapon was not loaded.

I have a much simpler solution. Leave and go somewhere else.

And the gun is probably loaded. Who the hell carries an unloaded gun with them?

Your inference aside, my initial reaction would be to contact the manager (in the example) and express my concern for the safety of my family, myself and others in the establishment. If the manager did nothing, I would contact the police, identify myself as retired law enforcement, and ask that an officer be dispatched to verity the weapon was not loaded.

I have a much simpler solution. Leave and go somewhere else.

And the gun is probably loaded. Who the hell carries an unloaded gun with them?

Only a fool would carry an unloaded weapon.

(all weapons are always loaded)

Seems the fools and fanatics have cut and run.

:lol: Typical... Everyone else is the fool or the fanatic, but not certainly not you, oh no. :lol:

As Mark Twain once said, "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference," and I think I am now going to take that advice. Have a good day. :cool:

In my right hand, I have an apple.
In my left, an urangutan.
Which is better?

In case that is too deep for the lefties.... carrying a firearm has no relevance on the nukes in Iran issue. Anyone who thinks there is a similarity is a fool.... or a liberal.... and very likely both.

Well, I suppose in your eyes I'm a fool. Rather than call me a name, maybe you can explain why you believe my example is foolish. Name calling is easy, justifying your opinon is not so. Maybe the example is too abstract for the RW brain, I'll work on a concrete example that requires no thought; an example that appeals to emotions, they are so much more easier to understand.

You're the one who started comparing open carry to nukes in Iran. What does that make you? Intelligent? I think not. Calling someone a fool is not name calling, it is stating an opinion.... in my case, it is supported by evidence, provided by you. Therefore, evidence suggests I am correct in my opinion.

I have no problem with open carry. When I'm in CA, I carry - I do so for personal reasons. Those reasons do not include wanting to look like a tough bitch.

Many posters on this and other message boards have opined Iran should not have a nuclear weapon. Some posters believe Iran is an imminent threat to Isreal and our forces in the ME, and as such military action is necessary before Iran engages in aggressive action.
I simply ask, how do I, or anyone know for sure, that a person or persons carrying a firearm in the open are sane or sober? How do I know (in the example) my wife or my kids are safe when an unkown armed person is in their presence?
I don't. Would I, armed or not, confront someone so adorned? Not in terms presumed by some; I would make a call and ask uniformed officers to verify legal compliance and remove my family from the threat.
Note, before any police officer, deputy or other law enforcement offical is hired, they are given a complete background investigation, one aspect of which is the psychological examination. You or I have no such assurance that those who choose to display a firearm are sane or sober, and to advocate such behavior seems to me to suggest at the least the advocate may be a bit paranoid - not pyschotic or a sufferer of dementia praecox, necessarily, but even a bit of neurotic paranoia can be dangerous and unpredictable.

Well, I suppose in your eyes I'm a fool. Rather than call me a name, maybe you can explain why you believe my example is foolish. Name calling is easy, justifying your opinon is not so. Maybe the example is too abstract for the RW brain, I'll work on a concrete example that requires no thought; an example that appeals to emotions, they are so much more easier to understand.

You're the one who started comparing open carry to nukes in Iran. What does that make you? Intelligent? I think not. Calling someone a fool is not name calling, it is stating an opinion.... in my case, it is supported by evidence, provided by you. Therefore, evidence suggests I am correct in my opinion.

I have no problem with open carry. When I'm in CA, I carry - I do so for personal reasons. Those reasons do not include wanting to look like a tough bitch.

Many posters on this and other message boards have opined Iran should not have a nuclear weapon. Some posters believe Iran is an imminent threat to Isreal and our forces in the ME, and as such military action is necessary before Iran engages in aggressive action.
I simply ask, how do I, or anyone know for sure, that a person or persons carrying a firearm in the open are sane or sober? How do I know (in the example) my wife or my kids are safe when an unkown armed person is in their presence?
I don't. Would I, armed or not, confront someone so adorned? Not in terms presumed by some; I would make a call and ask uniformed officers to verify legal compliance and remove my family from the threat.
Note, before any police officer, deputy or other law enforcement offical is hired, they are given a complete background investigation, one aspect of which is the psychological examination. You or I have no such assurance that those who choose to display a firearm are sane or sober, and to advocate such behavior seems to me to suggest at the least the advocate may be a bit paranoid - not pyschotic or a sufferer of dementia praecox, necessarily, but even a bit of neurotic paranoia can be dangerous and unpredictable.

You argument is a complete straw man and you are comparing apples with Taj Mahals. A better comparison for your coffee shop scenario would be injuries or death from an elderly person mistaking the accelerator for the brake while parked in front of said establishment. This type of incident is rapidly becoming commonplace.

The consistent problem with these debates is they assume the gun handler is just another normal citizen and the circumstances are such that handling guns results in a peaceful outcome. I sure as heck don't want every hormone ravaged teen armed, or every bitter man, woman, or whatnot armed and dangerous, nor even the good citizen who has no idea what the situation may entail.

When we were teenagers we lived a sort of American graffiti life and would race and drive around, radio too loud looking for girls or ??? Occasionally getting into fights, once a man pulled a gun on us and scared the crap out of everyone. Thankfully we raced off. There are too many situations in life and too many loonies to allow everyone to be armed. Our gun death statistics demonstrate that too clearly.

Come to bed honey
i'll only be a little while
but you've been cleaning those guns all evening
they keep us safe dear
but it's cold up here
come to bed
be up in a bit
- ladder appears at window
- wife looks up surprised
- masked man puts his finger to lips
my husband is downstairs and armed
is he coming up soon
nah cleaning his guns
you look lonely
i am
- they talk
- ruffling sheets
honey what's all that noise up there
nothing dear you clean your guns
- quiet
dear i'm coming to bed now
- muffled reply
- sotto voce
oh she's sleeping so content
- says to himself
isn't it nice being secure
- hugs his gun close
- scene fades

The simple fact is morons like you have been claiming dire calamity in every State that has approved open and concealed carry and it simply HAS NOT HAPPENED.

In fact violent crime is at a 50 year low.

That is correct, violent crime is down. Take it one step further, what is the cause of this effect?

l

Interesting side bar question, should anyone who wishes to open carry be licensed? If so, what is, or should be required of the person to be licensed? Does a license 'infringe' on ones Second Amendment right?
Should the state be able to revoke the license for cause? Would a DUI be sufficient cause to revoke said license?
Real debate on this wedge issue would be refreshing.

Feb. 13, 2010

Huntsville, Alabama
A women opened fire in a biology faculty meeting at the U of Alabama campus on Friday, killing three people and injuring three others, two of them critically.

Des Moines, Iowa
A 12 year old boy was charged Friday with murder and other counts in a shooting that killed his stepfather and wounded a five year old girl.

What does any of this have to do with the deabte over permits to open carry? Your utterances are nonsequiturs.

now, if by reason I didvine, you may be asking about...

Open carrying permits (and concealed weapons permits) of handguns do not equal the right to being armed on the job at all times. There are and will be policies that say check all arms at the front door.

...why didn't you?

:cuckoo:

Well, I do believe I found the story that sparked this thread...

Gun Rights Advocates Target California Detective Following Facebook Posts - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
After having read the article, I would have to say that the cop, Tauson, should be
terminated forthwith.

Actually, as the one who started this thread I was motivated by stories in my hoity toity community, not by the Fox News Article posted. Several times in recent weeks the TV news has broadcast features on WACO's (white, adult, corpulent oddballs) who appear on the video parading in Starbucks and other establishments.
It seems Starbucks is okay and (at least tacitly) support this 'movement'; other retail establishments have banned the WACO's, and have issued press releases noting their "no weapons allowed" policy.
It seems those who support this movement failed to understand the unintended consequences of their sillyness as more and more retail establishments will prohibit such behavior, for they too have a right to be safe, and a duty to protect their customers from the threat explicit by WACO's on parade.

In response to 'Dante', there are no open carry permits of which I'm aware. It is legal to openly carry a firearm (in California) as long as it is unloaded and not within 1000 yards of any school.
As for concealed gun permits, that is an issue, but not relevent to my question: Open Carry, good idea?

Last edited:
Where in my posts did I suggest that the Constitutional right to bear arms should be interfered with? I asked a question, a provocative one no doubt. But a question still the same.

it wasn't provocative, it was stupid. and you don't quite get the 2nd amendment it seems

"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong; The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell

Bertrand Russell was a coward.

"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong; The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell

Bertrand Russell was a coward.

What makes you so certain? Oh...

Anyone not willing to die for what's right is a coward. I would die to protect my kids, I would die for my freedom and the freedom of our fellow Americans, I believe that to be right. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a coward.

In fact violent crime is at a 50 year low.

That is correct, violent crime is down. Take it one step further, what is the cause of this effect?

Seeing as how MORE States now have concealed carry and open carry and that crime is dramatically down in THOSE States I know what is going on indeed.

Forum List

Back