Open Carry, a good idea?

If I'm in a coffee shop with my wife or child, and someone walks in with a holstered firearm, do I have the right, or do I have a responsibility, to take preemtive action?

Every action has a consequence. I imagine your wife and child won't particularly enjoy themselves at your funeral.

So, if I challenge an open carrying person, I can expect to be shot, and likely killed? Thanks for the best example of why you and your kind are so stupid.

Have you ever considered just minding your own damn business.

an op based solely on anecdotal evidence. this should be a very insightful thread

So, if I challenge an open carrying person, I can expect to be shot, and likely killed? Thanks for the best example of why you and your kind are so stupid.

Have you ever considered just minding your own damn business.

Sure. Have you ever considered thinking?
In this instance I think I would have minded my own business and been unconcerned as I would be carrying a fully loaded concealed weapon .

Let's see...I posted 3 lines and you have played me in your little box. hmmmm, so that is overwhelming evidence for you to cast me as one of your suspicious characters. OK anything you say!!!

Sure, did you have a point to make? My "argument" was a question; and, therefore, not an argument. Your final comment ("old flame argument") struck me as stupid. If it was not, what was your intent (because if my inference you are not bright enough is wrong, I will apologize).

Sure. my point is that it is very old to take 2 individual cases and attempt to extrapolate nutcases as cause to interfere with the Constitutional rights of the ordinary American citizen. Old news buddy..

Where in my posts did I suggest that the Constitutional right to bear arms should be interfered with? I asked a question, a provocative one no doubt. But a question still the same.

Sure, did you have a point to make? My "argument" was a question; and, therefore, not an argument. Your final comment ("old flame argument") struck me as stupid. If it was not, what was your intent (because if my inference you are not bright enough is wrong, I will apologize).

Sure. my point is that it is very old to take 2 individual cases and attempt to extrapolate nutcases as cause to interfere with the Constitutional rights of the ordinary American citizen. Old news buddy..

Where in my posts did I suggest that the Constitutional right to bear arms should be interfered with? I asked a question, a provocative one no doubt. But a question still the same.

it wasn't provocative, it was stupid. and you don't quite get the 2nd amendment it seems

• Thanks
Reactions: del

it wasn't provocative, it was stupid. and you don't quite get the 2nd amendment it seems

"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong; The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell

"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong; The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell

so you follow an anecdotal op with a quote from one person :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bertrand Russell

so you follow an anecdotal op with a quote from one person :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Maybe you ought to look up the definitions of anecdotal. Both items in the OP were from today's paper, as such they are verifiable.
My quote was in no way intended to modify/expand on the OP, it was directed at you, and the fools and fanatics who support openly carrying a firearm which is unloaded. Doing so is stupid - non-stupid liberals, conservatives and everyone in between understands it is stupid.
Stupid is as stupid does; hence the question: Open Carry, a good idea?

Last edited:
So, how do we know which person who carries a firearm openly is sane or sober?
How do those of you feel about Iran going nuclear? Is a preemtive strike warranted?
If I'm in a coffee shop with my wife or child, and someone walks in with a holstered firearm, do I have the right, or do I have a responsibility, to take preemtive action?
I report, you decide.
I've already decided to boycott Starbucks, they support the fringe element playing cowboy; Peet's on the other hand tossed the fool out and made it known that anyone with a weapon is not welcome, unless they are a uniformed officer.

In my right hand, I have an apple.
In my left, an urangutan.
Which is better?

In case that is too deep for the lefties.... carrying a firearm has no relevance on the nukes in Iran issue. Anyone who thinks there is a similarity is a fool.... or a liberal.... and very likely both.

Well, I suppose in your eyes I'm a fool. Rather than call me a name, maybe you can explain why you believe my example is foolish. Name calling is easy, justifying your opinon is not so. Maybe the example is too abstract for the RW brain, I'll work on a concrete example that requires no thought; an example that appeals to emotions, they are so much more easier to understand.

You're the one who started comparing open carry to nukes in Iran. What does that make you? Intelligent? I think not. Calling someone a fool is not name calling, it is stating an opinion.... in my case, it is supported by evidence, provided by you. Therefore, evidence suggests I am correct in my opinion.

I have no problem with open carry. When I'm in CA, I carry - I do so for personal reasons. Those reasons do not include wanting to look like a tough bitch.

Bertrand Russell

Maybe you ought to look up the definitions of anecdotal. Both items in the OP were from today's paper, as such they are verifiable.
My quote was in no way intended to modify/expand on the OP, it was directed at you, and the fools and fanatics who support openly carrying a firearm which is unloaded. Doing so is stupid - non-stupid liberals, conservatives and everyone in between understands it is stupid.
Stupid is as stupid does; hence the question: Open Carry, a good idea?

Open carry in your state is a bad idea but other States that allow open carry do not restrict it to unloaded weapons. So your question is wrong. Unless you preface it with " In California".

The consistent problem with these debates is they assume the gun handler is just another normal citizen and the circumstances are such that handling guns results in a peaceful outcome. I sure as heck don't want every hormone ravaged teen armed, or every bitter man, woman, or whatnot armed and dangerous, nor even the good citizen who has no idea what the situation may entail.

When we were teenagers we lived a sort of American graffiti life and would race and drive around, radio too loud looking for girls or ??? Occasionally getting into fights, once a man pulled a gun on us and scared the crap out of everyone. Thankfully we raced off. There are too many situations in life and too many loonies to allow everyone to be armed. Our gun death statistics demonstrate that too clearly.

Come to bed honey
i'll only be a little while
but you've been cleaning those guns all evening
they keep us safe dear
but it's cold up here
come to bed
be up in a bit
- ladder appears at window
- wife looks up surprised
- masked man puts his finger to lips
my husband is downstairs and armed
is he coming up soon
nah cleaning his guns
you look lonely
i am
- they talk
- ruffling sheets
honey what's all that noise up there
nothing dear you clean your guns
- quiet
dear i'm coming to bed now
- muffled reply
- sotto voce
oh she's sleeping so content
- says to himself
isn't it nice being secure
- hugs his gun close
- scene fades

Personally, I don't have a problem with open carry. That said, i would not open carry my weapons.

I have a concealed carry permit so that's what I do. i would rather be underestimated as a threat to a bad guy than to be spotted as an obvious one.

The consistent problem with these debates is they assume the gun handler is just another normal citizen and the circumstances are such that handling guns results in a peaceful outcome. I sure as heck don't want every hormone ravaged teen armed, or every bitter man, woman, or whatnot armed and dangerous, nor even the good citizen who has no idea what the situation may entail.

When we were teenagers we lived a sort of American graffiti life and would race and drive around, radio too loud looking for girls or ??? Occasionally getting into fights, once a man pulled a gun on us and scared the crap out of everyone. Thankfully we raced off. There are too many situations in life and too many loonies to allow everyone to be armed. Our gun death statistics demonstrate that too clearly.

Come to bed honey
they keep us safe dear
but it's cold up here
come to bed
be up in a bit
is he coming up soon
nah cleaning his guns
you look lonely
i am
- they talk
- ruffling sheets
- quiet
- muffled reply
- sotto voce
- says to himself
- hugs his gun close
- scene fades

The simple fact is morons like you have been claiming dire calamity in every State that has approved open and concealed carry and it simply HAS NOT HAPPENED.

Come to bed honey
they keep us safe dear
but it's cold up here
come to bed
be up in a bit
is he coming up soon
nah cleaning his guns
you look lonely
i am
- they talk
- ruffling sheets
- quiet
- muffled reply
- sotto voce
- says to himself
- hugs his gun close
- scene fades

The simple fact is morons like you have been claiming dire calamity in every State that has approved open and concealed carry and it simply HAS NOT HAPPENED.

In fact violent crime is at a 50 year low.

Come to bed honey
they keep us safe dear
but it's cold up here
come to bed
be up in a bit
is he coming up soon
nah cleaning his guns
you look lonely
i am
- they talk
- ruffling sheets
- quiet
- muffled reply
- sotto voce
- says to himself
- hugs his gun close
- scene fades

In fact violent crime is at a 50 year low.

Except for the random zombie attacks. Those are on the rise for some reason.

Forum List

Back