Only In Obama's America. The One Million Dollar Bus Stop

bitterlyclingin

Silver Member
Aug 4, 2011
[Its not really whether the project has any practical use at all or functionality, its the getting the money out there concept that counts in Obama's America. Cheez, wouldn't it be cheaper just to walk down places like Bridgeport's Stratford Avenue and toss the whores a few bundles of hundred dollar bills? They'd only use it to treat their syphillus and besides the pimp would get most of it, you say?
Arlington's kinda neat. We spent a week end there in a hotel on the river just off the main drag, the place with all the bookstores and the Renovation Supply store, yano. Left after attending mass at the Catholic Church over by the Ben and Jerry's. The young priest that said mass was just fresh out of the seminary and his sermon was on the value and sacredness of marriage. Fully expected a quivering lipped Hillary Clinton to storm out of the crowd coming out of the church after mass was over and slap him soundly on both cheeks.
That little question from the WaPo on the top border about Ben Carson being the GOP antidote to Obama is worth noting. The anal fornicators are as shocked and disturbed at Dr Carsons's appearance as Pharaoh and sons were when Moses returned demanding the release of the Jews from captivity, because if a black Republican Moses should arise to lead the African Americans off the Democratic Plantation in any great numbers, they would lose their political clout. The anal fornicators, a rough 3 or 4 per cent of the populace, due to the lock solid presence in their party of the 13 per cent of all Americans African Americans, can control the national discourse. Follow the KY Jelly trail.]

"The glass-and-steel roof swoops up like a bird taking flight. A wall made of etched glass opens the rear vista to newly planted landscaping. Embedded in the floor are heating elements intended to ward off the cold weather and keep winter-weary feet cozy.

The location, near Columbia Pike and Walter Reed Drive, is perfectly positioned to take advantage of Arlington County’s growing night life and ethnic restaurants.

And the price tag: $1 million.

“Is this made of gold?” asked commuter Yohannes Kaleab, examining the concrete-and-stainless-steel bench that is part of the new, seven-figure bus shelter.

“What?” asked Robin Stewart as he learned of the cost of the structure while waiting for a bus there last week. “That’s ridiculous. From a citizen, from a voter, whoever put that budget through needs to get their butt canned. It’s an outrage.”"

$1 million bus stop opens in Arlington - The Washington Post

It just has to make you proud to know our president has such incredible skill and power. Why, if a gnat flies around my head - Obama is responsible. Here we have a project which was entirely done in a state controlled by republicans - and it is Obama's fault. The man is super human. That is the only explanation.

It just has to make you proud to know our president has such incredible skill and power. Why, if a gnat flies around my head - Obama is responsible. Here we have a project which was entirely done in a state controlled by republicans - and it is Obama's fault. The man is super human. That is the only explanation.

Quit whining.

Obama never accepts blame for anything. First president that can't be blamed for the economy or for his fucked up foreign policy.

I think the only reason they say anything is because they're tired of seeing him skate through life without a care in the world.

Last edited:
This is why we say that the government is completely inefficient and that the privet sector is far better at these things but some people just do not understand how overblown these ‘projects’ are.

Only in bitterlyclingin's fevered mind. A bus stop causes him to fantasize about gay anal sex.

Seriously?
1 Million dollars for this?
_MG_84201363882028.jpg

Someone need to investigate where their money went to?
It is in someone pocket because the structure does not reflect a cost of 1 million dollars

Someone need to investigate where their money went to?
It is in someone pocket because the structure does not reflect a cost of 1 million dollars

From the OP link:

In the end, the new stop cost $575,000 for construction and fabrication and $440,000 for construction management and inspections, officials said. Federal and state transportation money paid 80 percent of the costs.

Arlington is taking over construction, and Leach said he expects to “drastically reduce” the time it will take to complete it. Construction of the next bus shelter is expected to start this month.

“Our goal if at all possible is to do it for less,” Leach said. The county has budgeted $20.8 million for the remaining 23 stops, or about $904,000 for each one.

County Board member Libby Garvey (D) asked Leach for a more complete cost breakdown, saying the bus shelter is “pretty, but I was struck by the fact that if it’s pouring rain, I’m going to get wet, and if it’s cold, the wind is going to be blowing on me. It doesn’t seem to be a shelter. It doesn’t really shelter you very much . . . you can get pretty soaked in two minutes.”

Anyone see the news about Tent City and how close it is to Manhattan?
I don't blame any particular president nor will point fingers at them. What I will do is shake my head that money needs to STOP being sent overseas to other countries to "help them out". It is fine and dandy to "help out" when a disaster strikes....but not when we could use that money to "help our OWN out". All that money for a bus stop. Just a little bit of it could go for food, meds, shelters from storms for those who have none. Just a tiny teeny bit. Instead...it goes to a bus stop.

_MG_84311363882029.jpg

The above image from the article shows the expensive electronic sign displaying the arrival times of buses. My Android smartphone will display that same information for a fraction of the cost. The designers of the bus stop could just post at the stop one of those special rectangular codes that smartphones can read that would take the user to a webpage displaying the bus stop's latest schedule and any informative messages. Such an alternative approach would save the taxpayer a considerable amount of money.

_MG_84311363882029.jpg

The above image from the article shows the expensive electronic sign displaying the arrival times of buses. My Android smartphone will display that same information for a fraction of the cost. The designers of the bus stop could just post at the stop one of those special rectangular codes that smartphones can read that would take the user to a webpage displaying the bus stop's latest schedule and any informative messages. Such an alternative approach would save the taxpayer a considerable amount of money.

Newegg.com - LG 55" Class (54.6" diagonal) 1080p TruMotion 120Hz Cinema 3D Smart TV - 55LA6200

Same thing. 1500 bucks. We still have 998,500 to go....

A million dollars plus the $50,000 per year Union thug to clean the gang tags painted on it. It's not about the money, it's about jobs. :D

_MG_84311363882029.jpg

Newegg.com - LG 55" Class (54.6" diagonal) 1080p TruMotion 120Hz Cinema 3D Smart TV - 55LA6200

Even if the screen itself only costs $1500, it has to be contained in that custom all weather case, which looks expensive. One also wonders what the workmen charged to install it and computer technicians charged to program the software to run it.

_MG_84311363882029.jpg

Even if the screen itself only costs $1500, it has to be contained in that custom all weather case, which looks expensive. One also wonders what the workmen charged to install it and computer technicians charged to program the software to run it.

Was not really the point.

I guarantee that I could build that exact same structure for under 100K, likely for under 50 but the government does it and it balloons to 10-20 times its cost. It really is pathetic. That case would not cost more than the device and the person who installs it (plugs the damn thing in) should not cost that much either.

The real problem was highlighted in G5000’s post – damn near half went to ‘inspectors.’ I can tell you from experience that construction is WAAAAAAY overly inflated because of ‘inspections’ that are irrelevant sometimes forcing entire work crews to stare at nothing while the inspector never even shows. Then he asks to tear something up for irrelevant reasons.

edit: oh, and I can guarantee that they spend WAY over 1500 for the screen. The government NEVER buys a reasonably priced product.

Last edited:

Quit whining.

Obama never accepts blame for anything. First president that can't be blamed for the economy or for his fucked up foreign policy.

I think the only reason they say anything is because they're tired of seeing him skate through life without a care in the world.

Whining? I'm rejoicing. Our president has god like powers. Who can be anything but proud? There is nothing he does not control.

We have solar-powered bus stops going up all over Las Vegas and I really haven't paid much attention to them - even though I was a bus driver here. I've not been able to find out how much these cost but did find several references to solar-powered bus stops elsewhere costing $17,000 to $20,000 each.

And, we have a huge fleet of double-deckers that cost $745.000 EACH!
220px-Deuce_bus_waiting_to_load_passengers.jpg

Your tax dollars at work. :eusa_whistle:

I guarantee that I could build that exact same structure for under 100K, likely for under 50 but the government does it and it balloons to 10-20 times its cost. It really is pathetic. That case would not cost more than the device and the person who installs it (plugs the damn thing in) should not cost that much either.

The real problem was highlighted in G5000’s post – damn near half went to ‘inspectors.’ I can tell you from experience that construction is WAAAAAAY overly inflated because of ‘inspections’ that are irrelevant sometimes forcing entire work crews to stare at nothing while the inspector never even shows. Then he asks to tear something up for irrelevant reasons.

edit: oh, and I can guarantee that they spend WAY over 1500 for the screen. The government NEVER buys a reasonably priced product.

Here is some information from the Baltimore Metropolitan Transit Administration about the costs incurred in installing enhanced bus stops. The costs worked out to $58,000 per bus stop.
" Design and construction of enhanced bus stops included lighted shelters, a bench, trash can and branded pylons, the corresponding trenching to provide electricity, permits, replacing and fixing portions of sidewalks and installing signs and posts. The total cost to MTA for 14 new enhanced bus stops was $813,000 which amounts to $58,000 per enhanced bus stop. Out of that total, the design fee was $350,000 and the construction cost was 463,000. “

Here is some information from the Baltimore Metropolitan Transit Administration about the costs incurred in installing enhanced bus stops. The costs worked out to $58,000 per bus stop.
" Design and construction of enhanced bus stops included lighted shelters, a bench, trash can and branded pylons, the corresponding trenching to provide electricity, permits, replacing and fixing portions of sidewalks and installing signs and posts. The total cost to MTA for 14 new enhanced bus stops was $813,000 which amounts to $58,000 per enhanced bus stop. Out of that total, the design fee was $350,000 and the construction cost was 463,000. “

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same cost here in Vegas.

Get ready, Barry Hussein is about to go on tour at about a million dollars a stop. The guy never stops campaigning. Meanwhile the kiddies are barred from visiting the White House.

Forum List

Back