Only in America

Only in America can the Attorney General of the Country nearly have his ballot cast by another person and still he will claim that there is no reason to have show an ID when casting a ballot.

Only in America can the Attorney General of the Country nearly have his ballot cast by another person and still he will claim that there is no reason to have show an ID when casting a ballot.

Only in America would people suggest a voting regulation which would ensure 11 million Americans lose the right to vote.

7) Cashing checks and buying alcohol are not rights. Voting is and that right must not be infringed. Funny that some think their right to own a semi-automatic rifle with a high capacity magazine should not be infringed, but voting should.

Qualified, registered voters have a right to vote once per election in their precinct. Voter ID does NOT infringe on this right....especially when the cards can be had for FREE!

It precludes people from voting more than once per election. Oh! I see! You liberals need the multiple vote privilege in order to stay in power!

Liberalism is definitely a mental disorder
The registrar at the polling place checks the registration and you sign your name. There is only one space to sign.

It precludes people from voting more than once per election. Oh! I see! You liberals need the multiple vote privilege in order to stay in power!

Liberalism is definitely a mental disorder

What silly, childish posting....at the election before this one there were 86 cases of double or fraudulent posting.

Ten million Americans do not have photo i.d.

So since you are so bright, Asaritis, perhaps you can tell us what the ratio of fraudulent votes to disenfranchisement is as a result? In other words, how many innocent people do you wish to deny a vote to, for every fraudulent vote prevented?

I have no problem at all with photo i.d. being required - but not when it is only being used to try and swing an election. Give people two year's notice of the change, ensure all states have i.d. cards available and at a nominal cost, and it becomes a fair option.

Last edited:
And only in American can idiotic straw men get posted freely online.

Irony.png

Only in America would people suggest a voting regulation which would ensure 11 million Americans lose the right to vote.

Only the dead and double voters would lose "their" vote

Do you have a problem with that?

I think you might want to do a bit more reading about this topic.

I'm going to leave it at that.

You haven't invested much study into this issue, have you? The elderly, the poor, the infirmed. Three groups that probably don't have driver's licenses.

only in america would a group of people believe in fiscal mysticism that has never been proven to work, not once. and then only in america could 30% of the population isolate themselves from reality so much that they continue to remain willfully ignorant to the fact that their fiscal mysticism doesn't work. only in america could a group of people be convinced that rich people are paying their fair share even though they do everything they can to get out of paying their fair share.

only in america could a dwindling and scared population think that the "takers" are ruining the country when all the evidence of the past 30 years points to the patron saint of fiscal malfeasance, ronald fuckface reagan.

1) Only in America could the rich people - who pay 86% of all income taxes - be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all.

The top 20% of Americans control 89% of all wealth - why shouldn't they pay the same proportion in tax?

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

Of course!

Besides, that statistic could also be taken to show how many are rich in the US.

Oh, I have spent a great deal of time on this issue.

Here is an article that Slate wishes they never wrote..
Cracking down on people who vote twice. - Slate Magazine

This August, Moschella's name came up in a sweep of voter registration records by the New York Daily News, which found that he and 46,000 other New Yorkers were registered to vote in both Florida and New York. Moschella also had the bad luck to answer the phone when the News reporter, Russ Buettner, called. So, his name appeared in the paper's Aug. 21 story revealing that in the 2000 election between 400 and 1,000 of these double-registrants voted in both states.

Other investigations revealed similar results elsewhere. The Orlando Sentinel found that 68,000 Florida voters are also registered in Georgia or North Carolina (the only two states it checked), 1,650 of whom voted twice in 2000 or 2002. The Kansas City Star discovered 300 "potential" cases of individual voter fraud, including Kansans voting in Missouri and St. Louisans voting in both the city and the surrounding suburbs. "I probably shouldn't have voted in Kansas," a Kansas City businesswoman named Lorraine Goodrich told the paper, owning up to the offense. "That was a mistake. Whoops! Oh my God, I'm going to get in so much trouble, aren't I?"

Like, so much trouble. Intentionally voting more than once in a federal election is a third-degree felony in most states and probably also violates federal election-fraud laws. The punishment varies from state to state but is usually up to five or 10 years in jail and fine of up to $5,000 or $10,000.

Even so, in a country where presidential election turnout hovers around 50 percent, voting twice has generally been one of those "why bother?" crimes that are rarely prosecuted. A couple of years ago, the Republican National Committee compiled a list of 3,273 Democrats who had supposedly voted twice. Most states disregarded the data.

Most State, when requiring an ID to vote, either give the ID for free or a minimal amount, $7 - $14 and when you consider that you can not bank, cash a check, enter a Court House, get on a bus, fly on a plane, or many other daily transactions without an ID, there is no excuse not to have one.

Hell, the law requires that an ID be not only presented, but verified through the Government with a three day delay in order to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights.

It is not a great imposition to require an photo ID to cast a ballot. I would go further and require a photo ID in order to cast an Absentee ballot.

Oh, I have spent a great deal of time on this issue.

Here is an article that Slate wishes they never wrote..
Cracking down on people who vote twice. - Slate Magazine

This August, Moschella's name came up in a sweep of voter registration records by the New York Daily News, which found that he and 46,000 other New Yorkers were registered to vote in both Florida and New York. Moschella also had the bad luck to answer the phone when the News reporter, Russ Buettner, called. So, his name appeared in the paper's Aug. 21 story revealing that in the 2000 election between 400 and 1,000 of these double-registrants voted in both states.

Other investigations revealed similar results elsewhere. The Orlando Sentinel found that 68,000 Florida voters are also registered in Georgia or North Carolina (the only two states it checked), 1,650 of whom voted twice in 2000 or 2002. The Kansas City Star discovered 300 "potential" cases of individual voter fraud, including Kansans voting in Missouri and St. Louisans voting in both the city and the surrounding suburbs. "I probably shouldn't have voted in Kansas," a Kansas City businesswoman named Lorraine Goodrich told the paper, owning up to the offense. "That was a mistake. Whoops! Oh my God, I'm going to get in so much trouble, aren't I?"

Like, so much trouble. Intentionally voting more than once in a federal election is a third-degree felony in most states and probably also violates federal election-fraud laws. The punishment varies from state to state but is usually up to five or 10 years in jail and fine of up to $5,000 or $10,000.

Even so, in a country where presidential election turnout hovers around 50 percent, voting twice has generally been one of those "why bother?" crimes that are rarely prosecuted. A couple of years ago, the Republican National Committee compiled a list of 3,273 Democrats who had supposedly voted twice. Most states disregarded the data.

Most State, when requiring an ID to vote, either give the ID for free or a minimal amount, $7 - $14 and when you consider that you can not bank, cash a check, enter a Court House, get on a bus, fly on a plane, or many other daily transactions without an ID, there is no excuse not to have one.

Hell, the law requires that an ID be not only presented, but verified through the Government with a three day delay in order to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights.

It is not a great imposition to require an photo ID to cast a ballot. I would go further and require a photo ID in order to cast an Absentee ballot.
If and only if photo ID was presented FOR FREE when you register to vote. Charging even a nominal fee would amount to a poll tax.

1) Only in America could the rich people - who pay 86% of all income taxes - be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all.

The top 20% of Americans control 89% of all wealth - why shouldn't they pay the same proportion in tax?

Because it is called INCOME tax, not WEALTH tax, you idiot.

Shroom -

In which case I think it is fair - providing people are given something like two year's time to get them, and that they are available in every state.

In the 2011 election it was so clearly used by the GOP to disenfranchise millions of voters that it stained the issue with the scent of corruption, but ultimately photo i.d. is entirely fair and sensible.

Prove that voter ID would cost ANYONE with a pulse their right to vote once.

Because it is called INCOME tax, not WEALTH tax, you idiot.

That must be why I posted the word "wealth" not "income" then, I guess.

Obviously they are not the same thing - I just found the synchronicity of the 80+% interesting.

Forum List

Back