Only 8 of 52 Tea Party causus members voted against extending the Patriot act?

It kills me y'all are knocking the Tea Party after the Democrats passed it when they controlled everything.

Feel free to give them credit for breaking from their party and voting it down after the Dems and Obama failed to.

I won't hold my breath.

The dems did not controll everything when the origional Patriot Act was passed..

The Repubs did :D

Go fish.
wrong again
the dems controlled the senate

It kills me y'all are knocking the Tea Party after the Democrats passed it when they controlled everything.

Feel free to give them credit for breaking from their party and voting it down after the Dems and Obama failed to.

I won't hold my breath.

The dems did not controll everything when the origional Patriot Act was passed..

Go fish.

They controlled everything when the extension passed last year. How many voted against it back then?

I won't hold my breath.

Go fish.

They controlled everything when the extension passed last year. How many voted against it back then?

The "most transparent Congress evah" Democrats snuck it through as an "amendment" to another bill...as a voice vote...

Search for information about the roll call of this vote online tonight, and you'll just find this nameless tally of numbers. You won't find the names. Why?

The reason is that the House Democratic leadership voted on the renewal of the Patriot Act in such a way as to hide the vote from the American people. Go to the web site of the Clerk of the House, and you'll see no vote from today about the Patriot Act at all. What you will see is Roll Call 67 "On Motion to Concur in Senate Amendments" for H.R. 3961, the Medicare Physician Payment Reform Act.

That is the vote on whether to extend the Patriot Act without any reforms of its abusive spying programs. It doesn't look like it, of course, but the Patriot Act extension is what's referred to by "Senate Amendments". The Senate Democrats sneaked the Patriot Act extension into a Medicare reform bill, and then voted by voice vote to approve the amendment so that no politician would have to have their name attached to this shameless abandonment of liberty. The House Democrats benefited from the maneuver as well, being able to vote on unnamed amendments related to Medicare reform, rather than having it on the record for everyone to see that they voted to renew the worst abuses of the Patriot Act without any effort to protect Americans from their spying powers at all.

At the link there is a list of those who voted for and against.

» Patriot Act Without Reforms Passes House (Roll Call Included) - Irregular Times

Last edited:
uh, you know the members of the tea party caucus are not all tea party supporters
many were already in congress before this past election

:confused:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post. Why would someone be in the Tea Party Caucus, if they didn't support the Tea Party? It seems to me that Congresspeople in that caucus are willing to openly associate with the TP movement and its ideals.

uh, you know the members of the tea party caucus are not all tea party supporters
many were already in congress before this past election

:confused:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post. Why would someone be in the Tea Party Caucus, if they didn't support the Tea Party? It seems to me that Congresspeople in that caucus are willing to openly associate with the TP movement and its ideals.
my point is they werent newly elected
as in elected because of the tea party

I won't hold my breath.

deeeeeeefffffffffflllllllllllllllleeeeeecccccccccccctttttttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

yep tea party is showing its nothing but corporate stooges as if that surprises anyone

I won't hold my breath.

Go fish.
wrong again

The patriot act passed in 2001, The Democrats were NOT in control of the senate at the time.

wrong again

The patriot act passed in 2001, The Democrats were NOT in control of the senate at the time.
yes, they were
look it up

The us patriot act passed the senate of October 25th, 2001.

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

The us patriot act passed the senate of October 25th, 2001, under the 107th congress. There were 50 Democratic senators at the time the bill passed. Having members with seats obviously doesn't give you a majority. For the sake of proof:

They were:

Akaka (D-HI), Yea
Baucus (D-MT), Yea
Bayh (D-IN), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Yea
Bingaman (D-NM), Yea
Boxer (D-CA), Yea
Breaux (D-LA), Yea
Byrd (D-WV), Yea
Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
Carnahan (D-MO), Yea
Carper (D-DE), Yea
Cleland (D-GA), Yea
Clinton (D-NY), Yea
Conrad (D-ND), Yea
Corzine (D-NJ), Yea
Daschle (D-SD), Yea
Dayton (D-MN), Yea
Dodd (D-CT), Yea
Dorgan (D-ND), Yea
Durbin (D-IL), Yea
Edwards (D-NC), Yea
Feingold (D-WI), Nay
Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
Graham (D-FL), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Yea
Hollings (D-SC), Yea
Inouye (D-HI), Yea
Johnson (D-SD), Yea
Kennedy (D-MA), Yea
Kerry (D-MA), Yea
Kohl (D-WI), Yea
Landrieu (D-LA), Not Voting
Leahy (D-VT), Yea
Levin (D-MI), Yea
Lieberman (D-CT), Yea
Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
Mikulski (D-MD), Yea
Miller (D-GA), Yea
Murray (D-WA), Yea
Nelson (D-FL), Yea
Nelson (D-NE), Yea
Reed (D-RI), Yea
Reid (D-NV), Yea
Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
Sarbanes (D-MD), Yea
Schumer (D-NY), Yea
Stabenow (D-MI), Yea
Torricelli (D-NJ), Yea
Wellstone (D-MN), Yea
Wyden (D-OR), Ye

If you can find a source more accurate the the US senate's website, listing more than 50 Democrats on October 25th, 2001-be my guest.

edit: how's that for looking it up? ;)

Last edited:
yes, they were
look it up

The us patriot act passed the senate of October 25th, 2001, under the 107th congress. There were 50 Democratic senators at the time the bill passed. Having members with seats obviously doesn't give you a majority. For the sake of proof:

They were:

Akaka (D-HI), Yea
Baucus (D-MT), Yea
Bayh (D-IN), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Yea
Bingaman (D-NM), Yea
Boxer (D-CA), Yea
Breaux (D-LA), Yea
Byrd (D-WV), Yea
Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
Carnahan (D-MO), Yea
Carper (D-DE), Yea
Cleland (D-GA), Yea
Clinton (D-NY), Yea
Conrad (D-ND), Yea
Corzine (D-NJ), Yea
Daschle (D-SD), Yea
Dayton (D-MN), Yea
Dodd (D-CT), Yea
Dorgan (D-ND), Yea
Durbin (D-IL), Yea
Edwards (D-NC), Yea
Feingold (D-WI), Nay
Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
Graham (D-FL), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Yea
Hollings (D-SC), Yea
Inouye (D-HI), Yea
Johnson (D-SD), Yea
Kennedy (D-MA), Yea
Kerry (D-MA), Yea
Kohl (D-WI), Yea
Leahy (D-VT), Yea
Levin (D-MI), Yea
Lieberman (D-CT), Yea
Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
Mikulski (D-MD), Yea
Miller (D-GA), Yea
Murray (D-WA), Yea
Nelson (D-FL), Yea
Nelson (D-NE), Yea
Reed (D-RI), Yea
Reid (D-NV), Yea
Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
Sarbanes (D-MD), Yea
Schumer (D-NY), Yea
Stabenow (D-MI), Yea
Torricelli (D-NJ), Yea
Wellstone (D-MN), Yea
Wyden (D-OR), Ye

If you can find a source more accurate the the US senate's website, listing more than 50 Democrats on October 25th, 2001-be my guest.

you left off jeffords
ol jumping jim
that gave them 51 and a controlling majority

What I find disturbing is that some of you are trying to make this into a partisan issue when the MAJORITY IN BOTH PARTIES voted for this.

Does that mean nothing to you folks?

yes, they were
look it up

They were:

Akaka (D-HI), Yea
Baucus (D-MT), Yea
Bayh (D-IN), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Yea
Bingaman (D-NM), Yea
Boxer (D-CA), Yea
Breaux (D-LA), Yea
Byrd (D-WV), Yea
Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
Carnahan (D-MO), Yea
Carper (D-DE), Yea
Cleland (D-GA), Yea
Clinton (D-NY), Yea
Conrad (D-ND), Yea
Corzine (D-NJ), Yea
Daschle (D-SD), Yea
Dayton (D-MN), Yea
Dodd (D-CT), Yea
Dorgan (D-ND), Yea
Durbin (D-IL), Yea
Edwards (D-NC), Yea
Feingold (D-WI), Nay
Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
Graham (D-FL), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Yea
Hollings (D-SC), Yea
Inouye (D-HI), Yea
Johnson (D-SD), Yea
Kennedy (D-MA), Yea
Kerry (D-MA), Yea
Kohl (D-WI), Yea
Leahy (D-VT), Yea
Levin (D-MI), Yea
Lieberman (D-CT), Yea
Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
Mikulski (D-MD), Yea
Miller (D-GA), Yea
Murray (D-WA), Yea
Nelson (D-FL), Yea
Nelson (D-NE), Yea
Reed (D-RI), Yea
Reid (D-NV), Yea
Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
Sarbanes (D-MD), Yea
Schumer (D-NY), Yea
Stabenow (D-MI), Yea
Torricelli (D-NJ), Yea
Wellstone (D-MN), Yea
Wyden (D-OR), Ye

you left off jeffords
ol jumping jim

Read the source I posted-Jeffords who was a registered Independent.

They were:

Akaka (D-HI), Yea
Baucus (D-MT), Yea
Bayh (D-IN), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Yea
Bingaman (D-NM), Yea
Boxer (D-CA), Yea
Breaux (D-LA), Yea
Byrd (D-WV), Yea
Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
Carnahan (D-MO), Yea
Carper (D-DE), Yea
Cleland (D-GA), Yea
Clinton (D-NY), Yea
Conrad (D-ND), Yea
Corzine (D-NJ), Yea
Daschle (D-SD), Yea
Dayton (D-MN), Yea
Dodd (D-CT), Yea
Dorgan (D-ND), Yea
Durbin (D-IL), Yea
Edwards (D-NC), Yea
Feingold (D-WI), Nay
Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
Graham (D-FL), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Yea
Hollings (D-SC), Yea
Inouye (D-HI), Yea
Johnson (D-SD), Yea
Kennedy (D-MA), Yea
Kerry (D-MA), Yea
Kohl (D-WI), Yea
Leahy (D-VT), Yea
Levin (D-MI), Yea
Lieberman (D-CT), Yea
Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
Mikulski (D-MD), Yea
Miller (D-GA), Yea
Murray (D-WA), Yea
Nelson (D-FL), Yea
Nelson (D-NE), Yea
Reed (D-RI), Yea
Reid (D-NV), Yea
Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
Sarbanes (D-MD), Yea
Schumer (D-NY), Yea
Stabenow (D-MI), Yea
Torricelli (D-NJ), Yea
Wellstone (D-MN), Yea
Wyden (D-OR), Ye

you left off jeffords
ol jumping jim

yes, i know, but he sided with the dems

you left off jeffords
ol jumping jim

He was a registered Republican until 2001, and while he certainly sided in voting with Democrats more than he did with the Republicans-I wont dispute this-he didn't vote exclusively Democrat. Therefore I don't think it's accurate to say that the Democrats controlled the Senate.

He was a registered Republican until 2001, and while he certainly sided in voting with Democrats more than he did with the Republicans-I wont dispute this-he didn't vote exclusively Democrat. Therefore I don't think it's accurate to say that the Democrats controlled the Senate.
he left from the GOP and sided with the dems, giving the dem a controlling majority
if you dont think so, how do you think Daschle became Majority leader of the Senate

btw, last i knew, 50-49-1 gives one a majority

What I find disturbing is that some of you are trying to make this into a partisan issue when the MAJORITY IN BOTH PARTIES voted for this.

Does that mean nothing to you folks?

both paries didn't run a small government platform

he left from the GOP and sided with the dems, giving the dem a controlling majority
if you dont think so, how do you think Daschle became Majority leader of the Senate

btw, last i knew, 50-49-1 gives one a majority

Majority-not control.

Although disappointed, I will look at them over the corse of this two year session;not on one vote.

At least eight voted against it;including Rand Paul in the Senate but did you know that it looks like more Democratic support for the Patriot Act and less GOP support seems to be taking place?

How do you feel about that(if you oppose the PA)

Forum List

Back