One thing that should not be cut from the Stimulus Plan: Food Stamps Increase

Enough to provide a roof over their heads, transportation to and from work, health care, clothes, and utilities with a little extra to go out once in awhile.

Anyone that thinks otherwise, doesn't understand the "American Way". Everyone is equal, regardless of education, background, race, etc. EVERYONE. They aren't less than you because they are standing on their feet doing their job all day. In fact, they probably are BETTER than you since they work so hard to put food on the table while all you can do is complain that they shouldn't be paid enough to live on because they don't have the kind of job you do.

I don't understand these people that look down on other working people. I was taught that anyone that worked for a living deserved our respect be he a janitor, or the President of the USA, they deserve EQUAL respect. Hmmm....then again....

When did schools start teaching our kids that the way to success is increased minimum wages?

The insistence on "minimum wages" is one of the primary reasons that people making $8.40 now can't make it on what people making $1.65 an hour made it on when I was a kid.

Minimum wage standards are a joke and always have been. All that happens when you increase the minimum wage is that you pay more for whatever is made in America. It increases unemployment, and it increases inflation.

the last 3 times there was an increase in the minimum wage, there was no net job losses, no increase in inflation or unemployment.

Even when it does increase inflation..it spreads it out over everyone so yeah, they pay a little more for a hamburger, but so does the middleclass and the wealthy...it's spread out so overall, they do get a net increase.

You made a minimum wage and your minimum wage had a higher spending power than today's minimum wage and you would deny that to today's workers that are trying to better themselves.

Ok, now you're officially full of shit.

If workers want to better themselves, they work their way UP out of minimum wage, entry level jobs, which have NEVER been adequate to support a family.

That's the way it works. You don't go into McDonald's expecting to make enough to raise your four children and pay for a nice car and a hefty savings. You go into McDonald's hoping to get a little spending money (if you're a kid) or to scrape by until you can get a BETTER job, that pays more money....so that eventually you have a job which can provide you with the lifestyle you would like.

I've been working for years..and I have just reached the place where I am not struggling (well compared to some, I still am struggling, but this is nothing...) and can actually pay my own way, with a little to spare. The one thing I know for certain is to get that higher standard of living, you have to #1, identify it as something YOU want to achieve, and #2, WORK FOR IT. That means suffering in go-nowhere awful jobs until you can make the next step.

That's the way it works.

We don't start paying through the nose for those crappy jobs...that's just idiotic. You start somewhere, and the bottom is the bottom. It's the most unpleasant place to be...but many, many people are glad to be there and understand it's a temporary fix....

As I said, in 1968, my brother was able to work a minimum wage job, afford an apartment, buy a car and take night classes at the local community college. If minimum wage had kept up with inflation, you would have been able to do that when you were working minimum wage. I would have been able to do that when I was working minimum wage and people today would be able to do that now.

A single person making minimum wage CAN still do those things. YOu get an economical apartment, a cheap car, and use student grants to attend school.

The thing is, the whole concept of what is "acceptable" has changed. My kids, who were not raised with a lot of money, still grew up thinking it was mandatory for them to live in 3-bedroom homes and drive hot rod HOndas right out of high school. They didn't learn that from me. They learned that from watching their friends....who had parents who were neck deep in debt. Who essentially live paycheck to paycheck, paying the minimum amounts they can and using plastic like it's going out of style...to buy things like in-room refrigerators, designer clothing, and hot cars for their kids.

That isn't "making it". THat's scamming the system, knowing you don't have the money to provide that level of living but doing it anyway, because you work every day and don't mind accruing a gigantic debt....after all, that's what bankruptcy court is for.

People have forgotten what it's like to have to actually work your way up to the top. We've lived with easy credit and too much tv for too long. The market had to crash, my brother in law, a stockbroker (and incidentally, a conservative Republican) told me 4 years ago that this was going to happen. It's when he decided to start selling off most of his real estate.

Now instead of pissing and moaning, people just need to tuck in. The government does not exist to fund us. We fund the government, and we fund ourselves.

Act like Americans, for God's sakes.

And some people think I'm on crack.

Here's the breakdown, genius:

$8.40 min wage x 40 = $336
$336 x 4.3 = $1444.80 monthly income, gross, around $1000 net, say.

$1000 net - $400 rent and utilities (studio or 1 bdrm apt and you can get cheaper rent) = $600

$600-200 food = $400

$400 - $300 car payment/insurance

$100 gas money.

Kids who come from poor families or people who are in their first couple of years of school typically don't have to pay anything for schooling, because they qualify for grants which will pay everything, including books.

Though I don't know why a freshman or sophomore in college needs a car. This is exactly the bullshit thinking that lands people in trouble. My sister and I went to school without a car (and I had two babies). She sent hers off to school with cars that were paid for.

Without the car, the person would have about $400 to blow every month, and that would easily pay tuition for a couple of night classes, with money left over, and no financial aid necessary.

Last edited:
A single person making minimum wage CAN still do those things. YOu get an economical apartment, a cheap car, and use student grants to attend school.

Allie, do you mind telling me what in fact you're smoking? That must be some good stuff.

When did schools start teaching our kids that the way to success is increased minimum wages?

The insistence on "minimum wages" is one of the primary reasons that people making $8.40 now can't make it on what people making $1.65 an hour made it on when I was a kid.

Minimum wage standards are a joke and always have been. All that happens when you increase the minimum wage is that you pay more for whatever is made in America. It increases unemployment, and it increases inflation.

the last 3 times there was an increase in the minimum wage, there was no net job losses, no increase in inflation or unemployment.

Even when it does increase inflation..it spreads it out over everyone so yeah, they pay a little more for a hamburger, but so does the middleclass and the wealthy...it's spread out so overall, they do get a net increase.

You made a minimum wage and your minimum wage had a higher spending power than today's minimum wage and you would deny that to today's workers that are trying to better themselves.

You've already stated you've not lived such a life, so what do you really know about what can or can't be done on minimum wage?

Necessities in life come down to a roof, food, and serviceable clothes. Nothing more. One simply needs transportation to work - it doesn't even NEED to be a car.

No, I did not say I haven't lived such a life. I said, my parents wouldn't let me get a job in high school. Let me tell you, that makes it twice as hard to get a job when you're out of high school. I worked a minimum wage job, lived in a small basement apartment and slept on the floor. The apartment complex was so dirty, I called the health department, they wouldn't do anything about it so I finally got out my vacuum cleaner and vacuumed the hallway. Later that day, someone else replaced a light bulb. Within a month, we the tenants had become friends, had put in new plants, repainted the rec room and had that apartment complex looking nice. The owner donated the plants and paint.

That was over 30 years ago. Minimum wage doesn't have the same spending power and the cheapest apartment you can find around here is $700 a month. An apple is $1. ONE APPLE. Gas is $2.09 and raising again. My father in laws small apartment cost more than $100 to heat for one month, and he's put plastic on all the windows and closed off the bedroom and sleeps in the living room.

You want to deny minimum wage people the same opportunities you had when you were making minimum wage because you are afraid on your 6 figure salary you might have to spend more for a pizza. Big whoop.

Allie, do you mind telling me what in fact you're smoking? That must be some good stuff.

Had you bothered to keep reading before opening your yap, you'd see she did outline it, and her numbers aren't that far off the mark; other than you can actually get a car payment for about $100 a month if you hit a sale right.

You've already stated you've not lived such a life, so what do you really know about what can or can't be done on minimum wage?

Necessities in life come down to a roof, food, and serviceable clothes. Nothing more. One simply needs transportation to work - it doesn't even NEED to be a car.

No, I did not say I haven't lived such a life. I said, my parents wouldn't let me get a job in high school. Let me tell you, that makes it twice as hard to get a job when you're out of high school. I worked a minimum wage job, lived in a small basement apartment and slept on the floor. The apartment complex was so dirty, I called the health department, they wouldn't do anything about it so I finally got out my vacuum cleaner and vacuumed the hallway. Later that day, someone else replaced a light bulb. Within a month, we the tenants had become friends, had put in new plants, repainted the rec room and had that apartment complex looking nice. The owner donated the plants and paint.

That was over 30 years ago. Minimum wage doesn't have the same spending power and the cheapest apartment you can find around here is $700 a month. An apple is $1. ONE APPLE. Gas is $2.09 and raising again. My father in laws small apartment cost more than $100 to heat for one month, and he's put plastic on all the windows and closed off the bedroom and sleeps in the living room.

You want to deny minimum wage people the same opportunities you had when you were making minimum wage because you are afraid on your 6 figure salary you might have to spend more for a pizza. Big whoop.

Well, gee.. Perhaps living in a place where the cheapest apartment is $700 a month, you're living beyond your means. Elsewhere for $700, you can own an entire house - it may not be the grandest house on the block, but it's yours, and you're not throwing that $700 a month away.

Oh, and I don't waste money on pizza, or fast food. Why? Don't need it.

Ever think of that?

$1000 net - $400 rent and utilities (studio or 1 bdrm apt and you can get cheaper rent) = $600

$600-200 food = $400

$100 gas money.

Kids who come from poor families or people who are in their first couple of years of school typically don't have to pay anything for schooling, because they qualify for grants which will pay everything, including books.

Though I don't know why a freshman or sophomore in college needs a car. This is exactly the bullshit thinking that lands people in trouble. My sister and I went to school without a car (and I had two babies). She sent hers off to school with cars that were paid for.

Without the car, the person would have about $400 to blow every month, and that would easily pay tuition for a couple of night classes, with money left over, and no financial aid necessary.

Well genius, lets break it down this way. You forget a few certain things:

Repairs for your cheap car, any injuries that may occur,etc.

$200 a month for food, REALLY? That's $2.20 per meal.

You also forget Allie, insurance for guys is alot more expensive then women.

And gas is currently $2, and if you have to travel a long distance to attend college then you're paying more then $100 a hour.

So right now, we're majorly in the red, starving, broken car, and not enough for gas with your idea.

Furthermore, I can tell you right now that kids who come from poor families,etc don't get their schooling paid for them fully. My local community college alone costs $3.5k a year; which isn't cheap. Never mind the college I want to go, 10k to go there plus 10k if I want to live there which I won't be.

It's tough not getting around with a car unless you're going to take the bus 24/7, and of course that's quite difficult with not only making sure you make every route on time but that there is a route in general. (Especially since the bus companies are now cutting back in this economy).

I don't think I need to go further in destroying the myth that is your deluded idea.

And Dis, wtf are you smoking? Where I live, the place with the worst unemployment rate in the country and the cheapest apartment around here is $750. You really can't find a place with better rent unless you choose to go live in a place where there is no jobs or colleges which completely destroys Allie's idea.

Last edited:

The thing is, the whole concept of what is "acceptable" has changed. My kids, who were not raised with a lot of money, still grew up thinking it was mandatory for them to live in 3-bedroom homes and drive hot rod HOndas right out of high school. They didn't learn that from me. They learned that from watching their friends....who had parents who were neck deep in debt. Who essentially live paycheck to paycheck, paying the minimum amounts they can and using plastic like it's going out of style...to buy things like in-room refrigerators, designer clothing, and hot cars for their kids.

That isn't "making it". THat's scamming the system, knowing you don't have the money to provide that level of living but doing it anyway, because you work every day and don't mind accruing a gigantic debt....after all, that's what bankruptcy court is for.

People have forgotten what it's like to have to actually work your way up to the top. We've lived with easy credit and too much tv for too long. The market had to crash, my brother in law, a stockbroker (and incidentally, a conservative Republican) told me 4 years ago that this was going to happen. It's when he decided to start selling off most of his real estate.

Now instead of pissing and moaning, people just need to tuck in. The government does not exist to fund us. We fund the government, and we fund ourselves.

Act like Americans, for God's sakes.

$600-200 food = $400

$100 gas money.

I don't know where you're living but federal minimum wage is a lot less than $840. Even our state minimum wage is less. And in our city, you can't get an apartment for less than $700, utilities are not included and they are very expensive.

Also, college is real expensive, my son got a pell grant for this year and it didn't even cover one semester.

I don't know where you're living but federal minimum wage is a lot less than $840. Even our state minimum wage is less. And in our city, you can't get an apartment for less than $700, utilities are not included and they are very expensive.

Also, college is real expensive, my son got a pell grant for this year and it didn't even cover one semester.

Great point Sheila, so Allie's point is destroyed further. Especially in a state like RI where MW is $7.40 a hour.

So Allie, using your math; I'm left with $1,272.80 which under your calculations which don't even account for guys; I'd be screwed.

Furthermore, the best MW I saw in my own link was $8.00-$8.25 and that was in states that are highly expensive to live in such as MA, CT, and CA.

Last edited:

$600-200 food = $400

$100 gas money.

Federal minimum wage is $6.55/hour. I live in Oregon, where we have that higher min wage you think is a cureall, and we, along with other idiot states, lead the nation in unemployment and inflation, thank you very much.

I don't know why your son's Pell Grant didn't cover his expenses. I'd be looking into his expenses. Of course a Pell needs to be supplemented with other grants, scholarships, workstudy and loans as one moves forward with one's education.

I know how expensive school is, thanks. And min wage jobs have NEVER supported anyone in style. The point is, you use them until you are able to make your way up. It isn't like, "Oh goody, I got this crappy job...I can just stop here and everything will fall into place..." which seems to be the way you want it.

Sorry, isn't going to happen. Minimum wage jobs are crappy jobs that support no one in style. They aren't supposed to, and they never will. They are the reason your kid is in school....he's SUPPOSED to want something better.

Federal minimum wage is $6.55/hour. I live in Oregon, where we have that higher min wage you think is a cureall, and we, along with other idiot states, lead the nation in unemployment and inflation, thank you very much.

I don't know why your son's Pell Grant didn't cover his expenses. I'd be looking into his expenses. Of course a Pell needs to be supplemented with other grants, scholarships, workstudy and loans as one moves forward with one's education.

I know how expensive school is, thanks. And min wage jobs have NEVER supported anyone in style. The point is, you use them until you are able to make your way up. It isn't like, "Oh goody, I got this crappy job...I can just stop here and everything will fall into place..." which seems to be the way you want it.

Sorry, isn't going to happen. Minimum wage jobs are crappy jobs that support no one in style. They aren't supposed to, and they never will. They are the reason your kid is in school....he's SUPPOSED to want something better.

Study: Minimum wage not enough to pay the bills

You live in Oregon huh Allie? Ironically enough, this study was done relating to Oregon!
And with that:

$Cat-YouJustGotServed.jpg

Last edited:

$600-200 food = $400

$100 gas money.

Since when is a roof over your head, food in your stomach, health care, transportation, clothes and utilities being supported "in style"?

BTW, there are a lot of people working those jobs that for whatever reason, well never get better jobs. I have a friend that's worked as a maid for many years. She has tourette's and has never collected a dime of help from anybody. Her employer just gave her a month off without pay due to her tourettes...yeah, like it's gonna get better if she doesn't eat for a month.

Minimum wage jobs need to pay a living wage in the richest country in the world and everything should go up from there.

I find it funny that those arguing the most against raising the minimum wage had a much higher spending power when they were getting minimum wage but don't want the same for those people on minimum wage today.

Idiota. I said a single person can scrape by on minimum. And you both are proving my point by repeatedly carping how Oregon is living proof of the minimum wage not being "adequate"...despite the fact that it is higher than anyone else's, to my knowledge.

My point is, RAISING THE MINIMUM WAGE IS NOT THE WAY TO IMPROVE THE STANDARD OF LIVING FOR THOSE WHO EARN MINIMUM WAGE. Because min wage jobs are crap jobs at the bottom of the ladder, and they will NEVER pay enough to support a family.

One person? Hell yeah. Deny it all you like, but one person, with no children, with no debt, can live on min wage. Not extravagantly. They won't be able to afford a big-screen tv and internet, cable and a cell phone with a camera. But they certainly can fucking live.

They just have to do without those "essentials" which aren't, after all, essential after all.

And anyone who says they are poor and can't afford school is either lying about being poor, or lying about going to school. I was primed to jump back into school, with my two babies and no job lined up and I was going to do that with nothing but basic financial aid. Then I got a job offer...

So go ahead and explain to me how you break down the finances of someone who is making min wage that makes it so they can't afford to live.

Since when is "health care" part of the definition of supporting yourself?

You really have a lot of delusions about what we're "entitled" to and what is just "privilege".

You aren't "entitled" to any of those things. YOu are entitled to the opportunity to EARN them.

Since when is a roof over your head, food in your stomach, health care, transportation, clothes and utilities being supported "in style"?

BTW, there are a lot of people working those jobs that for whatever reason, well never get better jobs. I have a friend that's worked as a maid for many years. She has tourette's and has never collected a dime of help from anybody. Her employer just gave her a month off without pay due to her tourettes...yeah, like it's gonna get better if she doesn't eat for a month.

Minimum wage jobs need to pay a living wage in the richest country in the world and everything should go up from there.

I find it funny that those arguing the most against raising the minimum wage had a much higher spending power when they were getting minimum wage but don't want the same for those people on minimum wage today.

We didn't have a much higher spending power. We simply did without. A bus pass was something like $2.25 a week which was $9 a month for transportation vs. a car, and insurance. We didn't stop on the way home and pick up a bucket of chicken and a bottle of soda - we went home and made soup and sandwiches, or mac & cheese and hotdogs.. We didn't "need" Nike's, or Tommy Hilfiger, or what have you - whatever was on sale at K-Mart worked just fine. Health care? Didn't have it. Had to deal with OTC remedies for everything - a cold went away in about 10 days - same as if you haul off to the doctor and get a $30 bottle of antibiotics. No computer, no cell phone, small black & white TV, and no "occasional nights of entertainment out".

You really have a lot of delusions about what we're "entitled" to and what is just "privilege".

You aren't "entitled" to any of those things. YOu are entitled to the opportunity to EARN them.

What were you? Hit in the head with a shovel?

Health Care is practically needed in today's day and age with the high medical costs for even the most simple of operations. If you don't have health care and get sick, you're fucked.

What were you? Hit in the head with a shovel?

Health Care is practically needed in today's day and age with the high medical costs for even the most simple of operations. If you don't have health care and get sick, you're fucked.

Amazing your grandparents lived through "life", then, isn't it?

Idiota. I said a single person can scrape by on minimum. And you both are proving my point by repeatedly carping how Oregon is living proof of the minimum wage not being "adequate"...despite the fact that it is higher than anyone else's, to my knowledge.

My point is, RAISING THE MINIMUM WAGE IS NOT THE WAY TO IMPROVE THE STANDARD OF LIVING FOR THOSE WHO EARN MINIMUM WAGE. Because min wage jobs are crap jobs at the bottom of the ladder, and they will NEVER pay enough to support a family.

One person? Hell yeah. Deny it all you like, but one person, with no children, with no debt, can live on min wage. Not extravagantly. They won't be able to afford a big-screen tv and internet, cable and a cell phone with a camera. But they certainly can fucking live.

They just have to do without those "essentials" which aren't, after all, essential after all.

And anyone who says they are poor and can't afford school is either lying about being poor, or lying about going to school. I was primed to jump back into school, with my two babies and no job lined up and I was going to do that with nothing but basic financial aid. Then I got a job offer...

So go ahead and explain to me how you break down the finances of someone who is making min wage that makes it so they can't afford to live.

Oh yes, because it's certainly quite easily for a college student to get by without internet these days. :cuckoo:

Unless of course, you're saying they're going to be going to the library right after class in order to just make a bus route at a certain time so they can then go run back to work in order to make their small living.

There's only 24 hours in a day Allie, and only certain amount of hours that certain things are open.

Oh yes, because it's certainly quite easily for a college student to get by without internet these days. :cuckoo:

Unless of course, you're saying they're going to be going to the library right after class in order to just make a bus route at a certain time so they can then go run back to work in order to make their small living.

There's only 24 hours in a day Allie, and only certain amount of hours that certain things are open.

LMAO! What do you think the rest of us did? Hello? Duh.

Amazing your grandparents lived through "life", then, isn't it?

What are you? Going senile too? :cuckoo:

Notice what I guess I need to bold. My grandparents didn't have to pay out the nose for their young years for health care.

They didn't pay $20,000 for this or that. Hell, my grandparents did however pay high costs even with their health care for things for my grandfather.

Forum List

Back