One thing that should not be cut from the Stimulus Plan: Food Stamps Increase

And the Woman who shows up at the food stamp office wearing designer clothes with her hand out.

Designer clothes? Hell.. Don't forget about enough jewelry to feed a small nation for a month if sold....

Ever been to a junk store?

Jewlry isnt always real guys.

Trust me.. I have an eye for jewelry. I can tell you without ever laying a hand on it what's real and what's not real that they're wearing.

How about y'all stop making excuses and enabling them, and come up with a legitimate solution to the problem?

Designer clothes? Hell.. Don't forget about enough jewelry to feed a small nation for a month if sold....

Trust me.. I have an eye for jewelry. I can tell you without ever laying a hand on it what's real and what's not real that they're wearing.

even jewelers cant do that Dis.

Its not illegal for people on food stamps to keep and wear grandmas necklace anyway.

I'm telling you people do what they have to do. All of those things I mentioned can be done once a week, and put into individual containers. What the hell do you think people did 40-50 years ago?

If you're that poor, you cut corners, and get the best bang for your buck that you can. If you have kids, you get the kids involved in it. If you're working, you obviously have a babysitter; get that person involved.

These poor are already cutting corners; many of them go hungry. Also, many of them have kids that are too small or young to get involved. Some people are lucky to get just a babysitter to watch the kids, never mind do all the stuff you're asking.

The Cost of Living has gone up greatly when compared to how much more people make now.

Example:

People make $10
Everything costs $5

People make $11
Everything costs $10

Now:

People make $12
Everything costs $15

You do realize that people who qualify for food stamps can also qualify for free daycare right?

If the poor people you speak of waste their food stamp money on frozen pizza and frozen food...maybe they deserve to come up short at the end of the month until they learn to live on a budget. Some of us single parents don't qualify for food stamps,yet we are expected to live on a budget every month and do.

not qualifying means you made more money than them, right?

well, i have never seen anyone on food stamps in my years of life....or never knew they were using them maybe??? or maybe lived a charmed life? though i am certain that i would have probably qualified when i first started out working i was making so little!

i think here in maine it takes a family of 2 making less than $14.5k gross to qualify....?

Its not illegal for people on food stamps to keep and wear grandmas necklace anyway.

LMFAO! Sorry, TM, but granny don't do bling.

Maybe you're naive as all hell, but that doesn't mean the rest of us are.

(And yes, and good jewelers CAN do that, TM). There's a VERY distinct difference between real gold, and gold plated, in ALL karats. And diamonds and other gemstones look NOTHING like cubic zirconia, even to the naked eye when they've been worn more than 3-4 times.

(And yes, and good jewelers CAN do that, TM). There's a VERY distinct difference between real gold, and gold plated, in ALL karats. And diamonds and other gemstones look NOTHING like cubic zirconia, even to the naked eye when they've been worn more than 3-4 times.

Maybe you should go to work for a jewler since you hate the poor people you have to help?

Maybe you should go to work for a jewler since you hate the poor people you have to help?

Why? Jewelry is a hobby for me. I own tons of it.

And you're lying again, since I never said I hated poor people. I said stipulations NEED to be put on foodstamps, and people NEED to be forced to use them for the right types of things if WE are going to foot the bill for them.

I do agree with that. I think there should be 'strings' beyond alcohol and cigarettes, for instance needs to be nutrition rich food, not junk. Also should allow use for paper products, at least toilet paper and paper towels.

That's one of the things Obama is trying to do. Since one of the biggest problems is how obviously nutrition rich food costs more then junk food. To be honest, with the amount these people have to live on a day; it's enough for one burger king meal.

Not true at all.. For example:

Boxed oatmeal in cutsey flavorrs runs about $3-$4 a box, but a large container of Quaker Oats runs less than $2.00. The box makes 8 small individual servings - the large container far more than that; at least double for about half the cost.

A frozen chicken dinner can run up to $6.00 for a single serving, yet you can buy a whole chicken for $3.00 if you're willing to cut it up.

A package of pre-formed hamburger patties again runs about $8 for 8 of them; you can buy ground beed in bulk for about $2 a pound and make them yourself.

It depends on what you buy, and how lazy you are.

However, all forms of junk food (anything taxable) should NOT be covered by food stamps. You'd be surprised at how far those food stamps will go when you're not allowed to buy frozen pizza, a bag of chips, and a 12pk of Pepsi...

I have no problems with putting limits on what you can buy with food stamps, however, I also think you should be able to save them up and spend them on items that are on sale. Currently, if you don't use all your food stamps in a month, they are reduced the next month. What if you find a really good sale one month? Shouldn't the extra money be carried over? I mean really, then maybe they can buy something better the next month. IE, lean meat instead of hamburger.

That's one of the things Obama is trying to do. Since one of the biggest problems is how obviously nutrition rich food costs more then junk food. To be honest, with the amount these people have to live on a day; it's enough for one burger king meal.

Boxed oatmeal in cutsey flavorrs runs about $3-$4 a box, but a large container of Quaker Oats runs less than $2.00. The box makes 8 small individual servings - the large container far more than that; at least double for about half the cost.

A frozen chicken dinner can run up to $6.00 for a single serving, yet you can buy a whole chicken for $3.00 if you're willing to cut it up.

A package of pre-formed hamburger patties again runs about $8 for 8 of them; you can buy ground beed in bulk for about $2 a pound and make them yourself.

However, all forms of junk food (anything taxable) should NOT be covered by food stamps. You'd be surprised at how far those food stamps will go when you're not allowed to buy frozen pizza, a bag of chips, and a 12pk of Pepsi...

I have no problems with putting limits on what you can buy with food stamps, however, I also think you should be able to save them up and spend them on items that are on sale. Currently, if you don't use all your food stamps in a month, they are reduced the next month. What if you find a really good sale one month? Shouldn't the extra money be carried over? I mean really, then maybe they can buy something better the next month. IE, lean meat instead of hamburger.

I have no problem with that, either.. Or, if you want to eat cheaper one month, because you'd like to be able to afford a celebration type meal the next month, great. Do that. It still falls under prioritizing, and setting, and following a budget.

Oh yes, all those single mothers who work two jobs to barely support themselves and their children have all the time in the world to cut a whole chicken and make hamburger patties. :rolleyes:

Come on Dis, think about it.

That's another problem that Obama is trying to address. Sure, buying food like you say is a great idea; if you have the time. However, many of these poor people don't even have time to sleep a couple hours a night; never mind take the time to make such meals.

I'm telling you people do what they have to do. All of those things I mentioned can be done once a week, and put into individual containers. What the hell do you think people did 40-50 years ago?

If you're that poor, you cut corners, and get the best bang for your buck that you can. If you have kids, you get the kids involved in it. If you're working, you obviously have a babysitter; get that person involved.

Indeed. I don't buy whole chickens, since we only eat white meat. BUT, I do buy in bulk at under $3.00 per pound. I buy oatmeal, lentils, dried beans, rice all in bulk. I've written Costco twice asking them to get bulk packages of WW pasta, besides rotini. They sent me a note saying they are working on it, seems many others made the same request.

However, I don't buy all at once, as my bill would be like $500. We eat high quality food, for low costs, because I plan. I rotate my shopping. Oh yeah, I work full time and have homework to do afterwards and weekends. Robert, really many folks without money are not your inferiors when it comes to making ends meet.

Indeed. I don't buy whole chickens, since we only eat white meat. BUT, I do buy in bulk at under $3.00 per pound. I buy oatmeal, lentils, dried beans, rice all in bulk. I've written Costco twice asking them to get bulk packages of WW pasta, besides rotini. They sent me a note saying they are working on it, seems many others made the same request.

However, I don't buy all at once, as my bill would be like $500. We eat high quality food, for low costs, because I plan. I rotate my shopping. Oh yeah, I work full time and have homework to do afterwards and weekends. Robert, really many folks without money are not your inferiors when it comes to making ends meet.

Huh. Funny how things work when they need to, isn't it?

These poor are already cutting corners; many of them go hungry. Also, many of them have kids that are too small or young to get involved. Some people are lucky to get just a babysitter to watch the kids, never mind do all the stuff you're asking.

The Cost of Living has gone up greatly when compared to how much more people make now.

Example:

People make $10
Everything costs $5

People make $11
Everything costs $10

Now:

People make $12
Everything costs $15

You do realize that people who qualify for food stamps can also qualify for free daycare right?

If the poor people you speak of waste their food stamp money on frozen pizza and frozen food...maybe they deserve to come up short at the end of the month until they learn to live on a budget. Some of us single parents don't qualify for food stamps,yet we are expected to live on a budget every month and do.

well, i have never seen anyone on food stamps in my years of life....or never knew they were using them maybe??? or maybe lived a charmed life? though i am certain that i would have probably qualified when i first started out working i was making so little!

i think here in maine it takes a family of 2 making less than $14.5k gross to qualify....?

Some people are turned down for making as little as $12.00 too much a month. Do you think $12.00 a month buys a lot of groceries?

Some people are turned down for making as little as $12.00 too much a month. Do you think $12.00 a month buys a lot of groceries?

I admit, I have no IDEA how it all works.... so there is a cut off that is abrupt, and there is no help at all to the person making 12 bucks more, type of thing? That's not good!

Oh yes, all those single mothers who work two jobs to barely support themselves and their children have all the time in the world to cut a whole chicken and make hamburger patties. :rolleyes:

Come on Dis, think about it.

That's another problem that Obama is trying to address. Sure, buying food like you say is a great idea; if you have the time. However, many of these poor people don't even have time to sleep a couple hours a night; never mind take the time to make such meals.

Are you also one of those coupon queens who can go shopping and buy $200.00 worth of gorceries for $ 4.00? If so I need some tips,I have a feeling I'm going to need it in the next couple of years..

How about y'all stop making excuses and enabling them, and come up with a legitimate solution to the problem?

As Ben Franklin said,

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.

As Ben Franklin said,

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.

:udaman::udaman:

Well, ok.. HE da' man, but you get the point.. :)

Are you also one of those coupon queens who can go shopping and buy $200.00 worth of gorceries for $ 4.00? If so I need some tips,I have a feeling I'm going to need it in the next couple of years..

Sometimes coupons are actually a hinderance.. People will buy an item just because they have a coupon.. Item's not even on their list, but they have a coupon. :eusa_eh:

I was notified by my children's school that I qualified for food stamps and hot lunch program for the children in the year after my divorce. I didn't take it, was able to make ends meet. They didn't eat 'school lunches' as I knew mine were healthier and way less expensive. Probably would have qualified again as child support dwindled as each child turned 18, but kept picking up extra jobs.

Robert seems to believe that being poor means you slave and get no where or are too stupid or lazy to get things done.

I believe people can run into really tough times, through little or no fault of their own. I think when those things happen, one needs a safety net, I just believe most of us have the resources to find the help within family, friends, churches. If none of those can be availed upon, certainly there should be programs, but the more local, (ie city/county), the better. Why? They know the area, know the job market, know contacts. There is also the support available when one starts picking up the pieces from the crises.

Forum List

Back