One thing that should not be cut from the Stimulus Plan: Food Stamps Increase

Agree on what? Increasing the amount an average family living on food stamps would receive? Why should it increase?

Because the COV (Cost of Living) has increased greatly in the past few years? Obvious answer is obvious? :confused:

That's not a good answer. Give me some numbers to back that up. Tell me how much the average family was given in food stamps 20 years ago and how much they are given now and compare that with the cost of living increase. Let's make sure this plan makes sense.

I'm telling you people do what they have to do. All of those things I mentioned can be done once a week, and put into individual containers. What the hell do you think people did 40-50 years ago?

If you're that poor, you cut corners, and get the best bang for your buck that you can. If you have kids, you get the kids involved in it. If you're working, you obviously have a babysitter; get that person involved.

These poor are already cutting corners; many of them go hungry. Also, many of them have kids that are too small or young to get involved. Some people are lucky to get just a babysitter to watch the kids, never mind do all the stuff you're asking.

The Cost of Living has gone up greatly when compared to how much more people make now.

Example:

People make $10
Everything costs $5

People make $11
Everything costs $10

Now:

People make $12
Everything costs $15

Food Stamps are the Best return on your stimulis dollar.

They return like 1.76 in stimulis for every 1 spent.

Unemployement extensions also return at a great rate.

Tax Cuts produce next to NOTHING in return.

So a dollar of food stamp money spent on groceries produces a large stimulus but a dollar of tax cut money spent on groceries produces no stimulus effect? A dollar unemployment money likewise produces a large stimulus effect but a dollar of tax cut money spent on the same thing produces no stimulus effect?

That's an amazing discovery.

working people on food stamps would not be paying any income tax, cuz they probably make less than 20k a family....and standard deductions etc exempts about that much from income tax, soooooo a tax break WOULD NOT feed them because they would not benefit from it....the people that would benefit, probably can still afford to put food on the table, without the tax cut....and in scary times, they would save it vs spending it....from what i read.....

That's not a good answer. Give me some numbers to back that up. Tell me how much the average family was given in food stamps 20 years ago and how much they are given now and compare that with the cost of living increase. Let's make sure this plan makes sense.

US food stamp use projected to swell to record levels

The cost of basic foods has risen by 5.8 percent in the past year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Prices are projected to continue rising for the foreseeable future based on spikes in the grain markets and rising transportation and production costs. At the same time, prices for other essentials, such as gasoline and home energy costs, have also increased

Eligibility for the Food Stamp Program is complicated, and applying for benefits entails jumping through a large number of bureaucratic hoops. Households must have no more than 130 percent of the federal poverty threshold in total monthly incomes, and no more than 100 percent of the poverty threshold in net income after taxes.

This amounts to a net income of less than $851 per month for an individual, just over $210 per week. A single mother with two children would not qualify for food assistance if she had a net income of more than $360 per week.

In order to qualify for food stamps, households must have no more than $2,000 in monetary resources, such as savings accounts. Applicants are expected to provide all financial records, pay stubs, medical bills, receipts for rent and child care, proof of mortgage and utility payments, proof of vehicle worth, as well as official birth certificates and other personal documents for every family member.

Accessing the food stamp program is by no means a guarantee that one will have enough to eat. Most recipients receive only $85 a month, and many find that this allocation runs out days or even weeks before the end of the month.

In comparison, according to the USDA, the average family of four on a “moderate-cost” shopping plan currently spends upwards of $900 per month for groceries.

I'm also currently trying to find the #s you were asking for more in depth.

I'm telling you people do what they have to do. All of those things I mentioned can be done once a week, and put into individual containers. What the hell do you think people did 40-50 years ago?

If you're that poor, you cut corners, and get the best bang for your buck that you can. If you have kids, you get the kids involved in it. If you're working, you obviously have a babysitter; get that person involved.

These poor are already cutting corners; many of them go hungry. Also, many of them have kids that are too small or young to get involved. Some people are lucky to get just a babysitter to watch the kids, never mind do all the stuff you're asking.

The Cost of Living has gone up greatly when compared to how much more people make now.

Example:

People make $10
Everything costs $5

People make $11
Everything costs $10

Now:

People make $12
Everything costs $15

Single mothers working two jobs likely aren't getting food stamps because they make too much money.

Single mothers working one job, and getting food stamps have *plenty* of time to cook healthy meals in bulk and freeze them.

Single mothers working zero jobs, and who are on welfare getting the full boat of food stamps have absolutely ZERO legitimate reason to not be shopping and cooking in the manner I specified.

Sorry, but I think these conditions should have been put into place long ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

US food stamp use projected to swell to record levels

The cost of basic foods has risen by 5.8 percent in the past year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Prices are projected to continue rising for the foreseeable future based on spikes in the grain markets and rising transportation and production costs. At the same time, prices for other essentials, such as gasoline and home energy costs, have also increased

Eligibility for the Food Stamp Program is complicated, and applying for benefits entails jumping through a large number of bureaucratic hoops. Households must have no more than 130 percent of the federal poverty threshold in total monthly incomes, and no more than 100 percent of the poverty threshold in net income after taxes.

This amounts to a net income of less than $851 per month for an individual, just over $210 per week. A single mother with two children would not qualify for food assistance if she had a net income of more than $360 per week.

In order to qualify for food stamps, households must have no more than $2,000 in monetary resources, such as savings accounts. Applicants are expected to provide all financial records, pay stubs, medical bills, receipts for rent and child care, proof of mortgage and utility payments, proof of vehicle worth, as well as official birth certificates and other personal documents for every family member.

Accessing the food stamp program is by no means a guarantee that one will have enough to eat. Most recipients receive only $85 a month, and many find that this allocation runs out days or even weeks before the end of the month.

In comparison, according to the USDA, the average family of four on a “moderate-cost” shopping plan currently spends upwards of $900 per month for groceries.

I'm also currently trying to find the #s you were asking for more in depth.

I appreciate the research, but right now the increases sound subjective and arbitrary. We just had a food drive at our church. The food received just this morning can feed at least 100 families for at least a month. I'm just saying that adding debt to an already bankrupt country may not be the best solution.

Tough choices for America's hungry - CNN.com

I hope we can all agree on that.

It's a disgrace we call ourselves the "richest nation on earth" while 31 million of our citizens or every 1/10 cannot even afford to feed their family or themselves anymore.

Overall I agree with this. However, it still bothers me when I see someone using food stamps who is driving a brand new Cadillac. We all know what I'm talking about. No, not everyone on food stamps drives a nice brand new car, but you know what I'm talking about.

Lets not forget about the lady at the grocery store using her EBT card as she yaks on her cell phone about how expensive her cable bill is.

And the Woman who shows up at the food stamp office wearing designer clothes with her hand out.

I appreciate the research, but right now the increases sound subjective and arbitrary. We just had a food drive at our church. The food received just this morning can feed at least 100 families for at least a month. I'm just saying that adding debt to an already bankrupt country may not be the best solution.

I know what you're saying. However, we have to remember that it's 31 million or so now on food stamps.

Also, it's a fact that this money given in food stamps will only to go to stimulate not only Americans but the economy. It's much better then say bailing out the banks with no regulation.

Overall I agree with this. However, it still bothers me when I see someone using food stamps who is driving a brand new Cadillac. We all know what I'm talking about. No, not everyone on food stamps drives a nice brand new car, but you know what I'm talking about.

Lets not forget about the lady at the grocery store using her EBT card as she yaks on her cell phone about how expensive her cable bill is.

And the Woman who shows up at the food stamp office wearing designer clothes with her hand out.

Designer clothes? Hell.. Don't forget about enough jewelry to feed a small nation for a month if sold....

I know what you're saying. However, we have to remember that it's 31 million or so now on food stamps.

Also, it's a fact that this money given in food stamps will only to go to stimulate not only Americans but the economy. It's much better then say bailing out the banks with no regulation.

My understanding is that the stimulus plan doesn't address new people on food stamps. It just increases the amount of the benefit.

I do agree with that. I think there should be 'strings' beyond alcohol and cigarettes, for instance needs to be nutrition rich food, not junk. Also should allow use for paper products, at least toilet paper and paper towels.

That's one of the things Obama is trying to do. Since one of the biggest problems is how obviously nutrition rich food costs more then junk food. To be honest, with the amount these people have to live on a day; it's enough for one burger king meal.

Not true at all.. For example:

Boxed oatmeal in cutsey flavorrs runs about $3-$4 a box, but a large container of Quaker Oats runs less than $2.00. The box makes 8 small individual servings - the large container far more than that; at least double for about half the cost.

A frozen chicken dinner can run up to $6.00 for a single serving, yet you can buy a whole chicken for $3.00 if you're willing to cut it up.

A package of pre-formed hamburger patties again runs about $8 for 8 of them; you can buy ground beed in bulk for about $2 a pound and make them yourself.

It depends on what you buy, and how lazy you are.

However, all forms of junk food (anything taxable) should NOT be covered by food stamps. You'd be surprised at how far those food stamps will go when you're not allowed to buy frozen pizza, a bag of chips, and a 12pk of Pepsi...

Those prices dont jive with the prices I see at my GS dis.

That may be what you are not taking into consideration.

My understanding is that the stimulus plan doesn't address new people on food stamps. It just increases the amount of the benefit.

It increases the amount for all people on food stamps by 13% or so percent. Whether the food stamp program will be expanded to even more people, I'm unsure of.

So a dollar of food stamp money spent on groceries produces a large stimulus but a dollar of tax cut money spent on groceries produces no stimulus effect? A dollar unemployment money likewise produces a large stimulus effect but a dollar of tax cut money spent on the same thing produces no stimulus effect?

Its in the Moodys study done very recently.

I will go get you a link

Its in the Moodys study done very recently.

Food stamps offer best stimulus - study - Jan. 29, 2008

Designer clothes? Hell.. Don't forget about enough jewelry to feed a small nation for a month if sold....

Ever been to a junk store?

Jewlry isnt always real guys.

That's one of the things Obama is trying to do. Since one of the biggest problems is how obviously nutrition rich food costs more then junk food. To be honest, with the amount these people have to live on a day; it's enough for one burger king meal.

Not true at all.. For example:

Boxed oatmeal in cutsey flavorrs runs about $3-$4 a box, but a large container of Quaker Oats runs less than $2.00. The box makes 8 small individual servings - the large container far more than that; at least double for about half the cost.

A frozen chicken dinner can run up to $6.00 for a single serving, yet you can buy a whole chicken for $3.00 if you're willing to cut it up.

A package of pre-formed hamburger patties again runs about $8 for 8 of them; you can buy ground beed in bulk for about $2 a pound and make them yourself.

It depends on what you buy, and how lazy you are.

However, all forms of junk food (anything taxable) should NOT be covered by food stamps. You'd be surprised at how far those food stamps will go when you're not allowed to buy frozen pizza, a bag of chips, and a 12pk of Pepsi...

Those prices dont jive with the prices I see at my GS dis.

That may be what you are not taking into consideration.

They jive with what I see in my own grocery stores, and I damned well know Wisconsin hands out too much freakin welfare and foodstamps as it is.

Example:

People make $10
Everything costs $5

People make $11
Everything costs $10

Now:

People make $12
Everything costs $15

You do realize that people who qualify for food stamps can also qualify for free daycare right?

If the poor people you speak of waste their food stamp money on frozen pizza and frozen food...maybe they deserve to come up short at the end of the month until they learn to live on a budget. Some of us single parents don't qualify for food stamps,yet we are expected to live on a budget every month and do.

Forum List

Back