one thing Libya shows us all

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Charles_Main, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    We have heard a lot of talk in the last 8 years about the US being over extended, and weakened. Talk that we are not a super power anymore.

If there is one thing Libya shows us is that Simply is not true. That while we may struggle running 2 boots on the ground occupational wars, we are still the jedi nights of the air and sea. We can still establish air superiority over most Nations in a matter of hours.

Remember Gates, and Obama, and Hillary talking about how dangerous and hard, and long it would be to establish a no fly zone? Well according to analysts we had effective air Superiority the second we crossed into Libyan air space (not one Libyan jet even tried to take off) and in just over 24 hours we had effective air supremacy.

Other than our nuclear deterrent, and economic power. It is the US air force and Navy that makes us a super power. The ability to control the oceans, and bring to bear air power effective enough to establish Air Supremacy where ever we want. Is what puts us above and beyond all other Nations on earth as a super power, and is the most important thing to keep up.

one of the reasons the slow erosion of our navy, and cutting of things like the f-22 project trouble me so much. Because in the end, all we need is superior Air and naval power to remain a force to be reckoned with in the world. We could cut our ground troops to nearly nothing, and still be safe from any conventional Attack depending on only the USAF and Navy.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    I agree but most folks here don't believe we have cut any military appropriations or hardware or have cut future prgms which incur costs right now.

3. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    $captainobvious.jpg

Though the love for the Military Industrial Complex at the end of your post, reality is:

The remarkable vote to kill the F-22 and what it means for America's military future. - By Fred Kaplan - Slate Magazine

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  4. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Fact: Don't expect me or any reasonable person to take you seriously if you wish to discuss cutting the deficit but don't want to even glance at the defense budget.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    When Have I ever said I did not want to cut defense? I sighted one program I thought should not have been cut(f-22), and pointed out that our navy is key to remaining powerful.

That does not mean there are not things that can be cut from the Defense Budget. I have stated many times in the past I am not opposed to any cuts to defense. So get the hell over yourself. Were not discussion the Deficit here.

6. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    I didn't accuse you of anything. And I wasn't even addressing you, unless Trajan is your sock or something.

I disagree about the F-22, as Gates said, they're a cold war relic.

I was merely remarking in general that those who wish to ignore the defense budget have no room to talk when it comes to cutting the deficit. Plain and simple fact. I never accused anyone of anything.

7. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    We could probably cut the military budget in half..and still be able to kick the worlds ass. Our military expenditure at this point is way out of whack.

8. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,397
    Are you willing to cut half of our social welfare engineering experiments also? If so, I'm with ya.