one thing Libya shows us all

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
We have heard a lot of talk in the last 8 years about the US being over extended, and weakened. Talk that we are not a super power anymore.

If there is one thing Libya shows us is that Simply is not true. That while we may struggle running 2 boots on the ground occupational wars, we are still the jedi nights of the air and sea. We can still establish air superiority over most Nations in a matter of hours.

Remember Gates, and Obama, and Hillary talking about how dangerous and hard, and long it would be to establish a no fly zone? Well according to analysts we had effective air Superiority the second we crossed into Libyan air space (not one Libyan jet even tried to take off) and in just over 24 hours we had effective air supremacy.

Other than our nuclear deterrent, and economic power. It is the US air force and Navy that makes us a super power. The ability to control the oceans, and bring to bear air power effective enough to establish Air Supremacy where ever we want. Is what puts us above and beyond all other Nations on earth as a super power, and is the most important thing to keep up.

one of the reasons the slow erosion of our navy, and cutting of things like the f-22 project trouble me so much. Because in the end, all we need is superior Air and naval power to remain a force to be reckoned with in the world. We could cut our ground troops to nearly nothing, and still be safe from any conventional Attack depending on only the USAF and Navy.

Last edited:
I agree but most folks here don't believe we have cut any military appropriations or hardware or have cut future prgms which incur costs right now.

$captainobvious.jpg

Though the love for the Military Industrial Complex at the end of your post, reality is:

The remarkable vote to kill the F-22 and what it means for America's military future. - By Fred Kaplan - Slate Magazine

In any case, the blow against the F-22 is a substantial step. Gates has been publicly inveighing against the fighter for more than a year, calling it a Cold War relic, noting that it hasn't been used in any of the wars we've fought lately, and noting that our current stock—187 F-22s, which have cost $60 billion to develop, build, and maintain to date—is more than adequate to handle the extremely narrow and unlikely range of threats for which they might be suitable in the future.

The Air Force brass wanted $4 billion in the fiscal year 2010 budget to build 20 more F-22s. Gates slashed the request to zero. The Senate Armed Services Committee voted, 13-11, to shift $1.7 billion from other programs in order to fund another seven planes. That's the line item that the full Senate excised this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree but most folks here don't believe we have cut any military appropriations or hardware or have cut future prgms which incur costs right now.

Fact: Don't expect me or any reasonable person to take you seriously if you wish to discuss cutting the deficit but don't want to even glance at the defense budget.

Fact: Don't expect me or any reasonable person to take you seriously if you wish to discuss cutting the deficit but don't want to even glance at the defense budget.

When Have I ever said I did not want to cut defense? I sighted one program I thought should not have been cut(f-22), and pointed out that our navy is key to remaining powerful.

That does not mean there are not things that can be cut from the Defense Budget. I have stated many times in the past I am not opposed to any cuts to defense. So get the hell over yourself. Were not discussion the Deficit here.

When Have I ever said I did not want to cut defense? I sighted one program I thought should not have been cut(f-22), and pointed out that our navy is key to remaining powerful.

That does not mean there are not things that can be cut from the Defense Budget. I have stated many times in the past I am not opposed to any cuts to defense. So get the hell over yourself. Were not discussion the Deficit here.

I didn't accuse you of anything. And I wasn't even addressing you, unless Trajan is your sock or something.

I disagree about the F-22, as Gates said, they're a cold war relic.

I was merely remarking in general that those who wish to ignore the defense budget have no room to talk when it comes to cutting the deficit. Plain and simple fact. I never accused anyone of anything.

We could probably cut the military budget in half..and still be able to kick the worlds ass. Our military expenditure at this point is way out of whack.

We could probably cut the military budget in half..and still be able to kick the worlds ass. Our military expenditure at this point is way out of whack.

Are you willing to cut half of our social welfare engineering experiments also? If so, I'm with ya.

Forum List

Back