One question ethics test

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
With all your honor, dignity and moral strength, what would you do?

This test only has one question, but it's a very important one. Please don't answer it without some serious thought. By giving an honest answer you will be able to test your moral strengths.

The test features an unlikely, completely fictional situation, where you will have to make a decision one-way or the other.

Remember that your answer needs to be honest, yet spontaneous. Please scroll down slowly and consider each line - this is important to the test's accuracy

You're in Florida...in Miami, to be exact. There is great chaos going on around you, caused by a major hurricane. With its almost unbearable winds there are huge waves of surging water all about you. You are an Associated Press photographer and you are in the middle of this great disaster. While you are in a safe location, for many others the situation is nearly hopeless.

You are a professional. You're trying to shoot very descriptive photos to tell the world about this disaster. There are houses and people floating around you, disappearing into the swirling waters. Nature is showing all its awesome power and is sweeping everything away.

Suddenly you see a woman in the water, fighting for her life, trying not to be taken away by the masses of water and sand. You move closer. She is now only 20 feet away. Somehow the woman looks familiar. Suddenly you recognize her - it's Hillary Rodham Clinton!

And you notice that the raging waters are about to sweep her away...forever. On a dock piling where you stand is a life preserver with 150 feet of line attached. Surely you can throw her the preserver and haul her in if you move quickly.

You now have two options. You can save her or you can take the most significant photo of your life. You can save the life of Hillary Rodham Clinton, or you can shoot a Pulitzer Prize winning photo, a unique photo, one that will make your career, portraying the death of one of the world's most powerful women.

And here's the question:

(Please give an honest answer)

Would you select color film, or go with the simplicity of classic black and white?

Disliking her as I do, I might for a second want her to drown, but knowing I probably wouldn't be able to sleeping knowing I let anyone die, I would have to save the WENCH!!!

Black and white, in a raging storm hopefully with fantastic lightening flashes the Ansel Adams apperance would capture the moment nicely. :p:

My memory is almost exclusively photographic when I do something impulsive that is ultimately wrong. I would not take the picture as I would regret it later, and I might try to save her. Another thing is for all I know I could be next, so the photos wouldn't matter that much to me and I would be trying to help her. I mean at some depth she's human, and I'm human and we're both going to become very protective under threat in a life threatening situation. I'd toss her the free end of the rope.

Oh wait, I didn't read the entire post. That wasn't the question it was redundant. Everyone knows Hillary would answer the opposite of the above.

Color wouldn't have enough contrast in a dark stormy situation and using a flash would brighten the foreground while blacking out the scene of destruction. I'd use 200 B&W and push it as 400 ISO then develop as 400 film, allowing for speed and detail in low light. Of course if it's really dim I might settle for just 400 film.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I saw this exact same thing in an email thread sent to me except the person in question was George W. Bush.

If the one I posted used Bush, I would have placed it in the humor section.

Originally posted by janeeng
Disliking her as I do, I might for a second want her to drown, but knowing I probably wouldn't be able to sleeping knowing I let anyone die, I would have to save the WENCH!!!

Excuuuuuuuse Me! Hillary Clinton is not, never has been and never will be A Wench.

Please commit this fact to memory.

Thank you.

:D

Forum List

Back