One of the real victim in the DOJ scandal

• Banned
In a stunning reversal, a federal court of appeals struck down a state worker's fraud conviction that Wisconsin Republicans used in efforts to paint Gov. Jim Doyle's administration as corrupt.

Attorneys on both sides of the case said the three-judge panel likely overruled the trial jury's conviction of former state purchasing officer Georgia Thompson within hours of oral arguments due to a simple lack of evidence.

The decision by the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, which will explain the judges' reasoning, was not immediately available.

During oral arguments Thursday, one of the members the three-judge panel said the charges against Thompson were unfounded.

"I have to say it strikes me that your evidence is beyond thin," federal Appeals Judge Diane Wood told prosecutors. "I'm not sure what your actual theory in this case is."

The court heard arguments in the case Thursday morning and then ordered a trial judge to free Thompson from a federal prison in Illinois, which she entered in November.

Thompson was a civil service employee last year when she was convicted of fraud after being accused of steering a state travel contract to a firm whose top officials were major campaign contributors to Doyle.

Her attorney, Stephen Hurley of Madison, argued that prosecutors never proved Thompson had been pressured by her superiors to deliver the contract to a company run by a major contributor to Doyle.

Hurley noted that the appeals court acquitted Thompson rather than sending her case back to a trial court.

Federal prosecutors could appeal the decision -- the acquittal was stayed for 14 days to allow them to ask for a rehearing -- but said they probably would not do so.

"It's extraordinary for a U.S. Court of Appeals to issue a decision on the day of oral arguments without a written opinion," Hurley said. "What they're saying is, There's no evidence, she's acquitted.'"

http://truthinjustice.org/thompson-georgia.htm

• Banned
An Introduction to North Alabama Law and Politics

by Glynn Wilson

RAINSVILLE, Ala., June 17 - Dana Jill Simpson is faxing documents on a Sunday and waiting for me - to my surprise - with the front door unlocked in her modest red brick law office. It's at the halfway point between Ft. Payne and Scottsboro along Highway 35, which also happens to double as Main Street in the small town of Rainsville, Alabama, in this rural, mountainous Northeast corner of the state near the borders of Georgia and Tennessee.

Her house has already been burned down and one of her vehicles has been run off the road and totaled since she decided to seek justice and come out against the Bush and Riley political machines in the case of former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman and deposed HealthSouth founder Richard Scrushy. While there may be no proof of a connection and there may be no connection at all, knowing the history of how hard the Bush's are willing to play in their pursuit of power, it has to make a person just a tad concerned - under the circumstances.

http://tinyurl.com/2l9qb5

• Banned
Maybe a question will help?

Could any of the people who claim these DOJ people can be fired at will for ANY reason tell me its OK to fire people if they refuse to falsely prosicute someone for a non exsistant crime?

Forum List

Back