One of our A/C units died.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
One of the main A/C units took a crap on us the other day.
While it sucks we have two other central units that take up the slack pretty well but it's still not as cool as it should be.
We bought the unit 10 years ago and decided to save a few bucks and go with the Amana rather than the Trane. We did this with all 3 units outside and in the attic.
To replace all three with top notch Trane units in a 16 seer model would run around $34k.
If we planned to retire here it wouldnt be that bad of an investment but we really want to get out of here in another 6 years when we can both start collecting our SS.
We can get the Amana fixed for $2k but I hate to do that with a second rate A/C unit only to have it totally fail in a few more years.
New Trane units would be a good selling point but obviously you wont be getting all that money back even with the power savings.
One of the worst things about home ownership...maintaining the expensive items.

While it sucks we have two other central units that take up the slack pretty well but it's still not as cool as it should be.
We bought the unit 10 years ago and decided to save a few bucks and go with the Amana rather than the Trane. We did this with all 3 units outside and in the attic.
To replace all three with top notch Trane units in a 16 seer model would run around $34k.
If we planned to retire here it wouldnt be that bad of an investment but we really want to get out of here in another 6 years when we can both start collecting our SS.
We can get the Amana fixed for $2k but I hate to do that with a second rate A/C unit only to have it totally fail in a few more years.
New Trane units would be a good selling point but obviously you wont be getting all that money back even with the power savings.
Move where it's cold and you can bitch about a broken furnace.

Seriously, stay away from Trane.

Seriously, stay away from Trane.

If I'd bought a Trane in the first place it'd still be under warranty.
I'm not exactly a noob when it comes to A/C work. I worked for my step dad who owned an A/C/commercial refrigeration company.
Trane was always the best.
If you have another suggestion I'd be glad to hear it.

Get them while you can. Soon the Dems will outlaw AC.

Get them while you can. Soon the Dems will outlaw AC.
And that's no joke. They have been demonizing them for years to condition their zombies to get use to the idea of doing without modern luxuries like A/C. Heat. Fuel. Electricity. Food

And that's no joke. They have been demonizing them for years to condition their zombies to get use to the idea of doing without modern luxuries like A/C. Heat. Fuel. Electricity. Food

Not gonna happen.
Houston is the most A/C'd city in the world,they try and take it away and they'll be looking at a revolution.
My best buddy grew up in the Heights in Houston with no A/C I dont know how the hell he did it.
They had the the window fans and thats it.

We can just replace the failed unit with a Trane 16 seer for around 10k thats for the outside unit and the attic unit.
This is the man A/C unit for the living room,kitchen,laundry room and pool bathroom.
It being the main unit for our livable area we use the most other than the master bedroom it might just be worth it.

If I'd bought a Trane in the first place it'd still be under warranty.
I'm not exactly a noob when it comes to A/C work. I worked for my step dad who owned an A/C/commercial refrigeration company.
Trane was always the best.
If you have another suggestion I'd be glad to hear it.
American Standard since you are unsure how long you will keep your property. Trane wants only their guys to work on them. Good luck and stay cool.

Decided to go with option A.
The 16 seer deluxe Trane 4 ton with the replacement evaporator coil in the attic.
It claims to save you 10% a month which in the summer is over $100 bucks a month. The difference in the 16 seer and the 14 seer is about 3k so it will pay the difference in about 4 years.
Going to pay cash which saves us $1k for a grand total of $12439 bucks.
I could have bought the blower for my Tundra for that dammit!!!!!

Forum List

Back