Once stigmatized, food stamps find acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree....the poor are very good at making something out of nothing when it comes to food....I have witnessed such with relatives on my husband's side that were part of the working poor.

And there are MANY out there just like them.

Quick and easy cooking comes from the middle class, with both parents working.

When the woman was not required to work in order for the family unit to have enough to scrape by, she was at home...and had the time to take flour and make biscuits or pies and cakes or dumplings or pasta....or the daily bread.....or a 3 hour stew made out of nothing but the meat on the bones...and left overs.

Care I see what the people using "food Stamps" buy. Little of it is food that requires preparation.
Now there is a difference in the elderly on food stamps and the younger ones. The elderly buy basics to prepare. The younger ones do not.

My generation prepared food, the succeding ones not so much.

I think we have lost many of the mother to daughter cooking skills that used to be passed down through the generations.
Most are unaware you can bake your own bread, that pancakes do not come from a box, that soup does not come from a can..

I think the food stamp and any general welfare assistance, takes away any incentive to be creative. It is detrimental to a persons dignity. as well as to our economic success.

I was at a place of business last week that I frequent for products I need for my planned meals and the manager was on her phone trying to find out how much was left on a food stamp card that she had purchased from someone for $20. She was telling me about this as if it was legal or something :eusa_eh: It turns our her investment payed off. The card had $60 left on it for her to use for "buying her expensive spices" Her words. I just looked at her and thought, lady, you are committing a federal crime

I have 2 sons in college and a daughter in high school.
They all have jobs.
Why is that?

Can they afford to suport themselves without your help? Do their jobs pay enough for rent, transportation, insurance, food, clothing, utilities and their education?

Without you....would they need food stamps to survive?

Last edited:
I disagree....the poor are very good at making something out of nothing when it comes to food....I have witnessed such with relatives on my husband's side that were part of the working poor.

And there are MANY out there just like them.

Quick and easy cooking comes from the middle class, with both parents working.

When the woman was not required to work in order for the family unit to have enough to scrape by, she was at home...and had the time to take flour and make biscuits or pies and cakes or dumplings or pasta....or the daily bread.....or a 3 hour stew made out of nothing but the meat on the bones...and left overs.

Care I see what the people using "food Stamps" buy. Little of it is food that requires preparation.
Now there is a difference in the elderly on food stamps and the younger ones. The elderly buy basics to prepare. The younger ones do not.

if it is food that requires little preperation it's only because of it's convenient availability. No shit someone is going to buy fries instead of pealable potatoes while on food stamps. But, do you REALLY think that someone who wants fries and are given potatoes won't figure out how to cut them and deep fry them? come on.

Who the hell PEELS potatoes? You scrub them good and cook them with the skins on! I peel boiled squash, onions, and beets, the beets after they are cooked, and turnips. I peel sweet potatoes and yams after they are boiled a bit. Then the skins slide off! Scrub the carrots a bit and into the pot!

Peelers are vitamin and fiber wasters!

They all have jobs.
Why is that?

Can they afford to suport themselves without your help? Do their jobs pay enough for rent, transportation, insurance, food, clothing, utilities and their education?

Ahhh... but even if he helped them, that would by their family helping them not living off the taxpayers.

They all have jobs.
Why is that?

Ahhh... but even if he helped them, that would by their family helping them not living off the taxpayers.

So those who do not have a wealthy family to support them should starve? Can an 18 year old today get a job that will support him without any assistance?

Your so right. Times have indeed changed.

My grandfather on my Moms side, took off and left my grandmother to raise 4 kids on her own. Back in those days charity was a dirty word. My grandmother worked in a cotton mill in Thomaston, GA. The church folks had to convince her to take sweaters for the kids. My Mother detested welfare to her dying day.

People had pride back then. People today have grown up with Welfare, These folks think nothing of it because they have grown up with it and think this is how it has always been. They don't care that Welfare is simply spreading the wealth. Taking from those that earned it and giving to those who didn't. I know quite a few Welfare fraud folks out there. Yet when you call Social Services or go to Social Services to report it. Well, they pretty much tell you to mind your own business.

The Welfare system is full of abuse. Its one of those entitlements that loads take advantage of and that we taxpayers will pay for, forever. Don't see changes coming down the pike anytime soon.

I still wouldn't let a kid go hungry and I'm far from a bleeding heart liberal.

The Depression is one of the reasons we developed social programs. We did not want families starving, migrating from town to town looking for work, dying in their 50s due to malnutrition and lack of medical care, living in hovels.

The US is the wealthiest nation on earth. We can afford to take care of our less fortunate

Well, thats a nice thought RW.

You and I both know there are thousands out there who are on welfare because they want to be. These folks have no sense of responsibility and have no problem sticking their hands out and grabbing all that they can. They don't want to WORK for anything. They have kids they can't afford but have no problem letting the taxpayer foot the bill for their kids. The real kicker is that they keep having kids. The more kids, the more money we the taxpayer give them. There are no consequences for their lack of responsibility. You and I will continue to pay their way for them.

I, for one, am tired of supporting the many deadbeats on Welfare.
apparently you missed the thing in welfare reform where having another kid DOES NOT INCREASE THE GRANT!

Sad really that we have multiple generations of people who believe theydon't have to provide for themselves and their families.

and what about hte people using them temp while laid off?

I believe unemployment insurance lasts almost forever these days.

No it doesn't and companies can dither and block and all for weeks, even months!

Or ooops, some companies didn't put in at all and the person never knows until they apply and the company has misteriously changed owners, nobody knows, and ooo, the taxes, FICA, and workman's comp isn't paid either! But the pauycheck said it was being taken out!

Those kinds of frauds are a lot more important in the long run...

I think we have lost many of the mother to daughter cooking skills that used to be passed down through the generations.
Most are unaware you can bake your own bread, that pancakes do not come from a box, that soup does not come from a can..

I think the food stamp and any general welfare assistance, takes away any incentive to be creative. It is detrimental to a persons dignity. as well as to our economic success.

I was at a place of business last week that I frequent for products I need for my planned meals and the manager was on her phone trying to find out how much was left on a food stamp card that she had purchased from someone for $20. She was telling me about this as if it was legal or something :eusa_eh: It turns our her investment payed off. The card had $60 left on it for her to use for "buying her expensive spices" Her words. I just looked at her and thought, lady, you are committing a federal crime
and if you didn't turn her in you are a co-conspirator, and an accessory after the fact....... comitted a couple of your own crimes, too...

Government welfare is now accepted;sad but true, the most conservative 70 year old out there will fight tooth and nail any politician that wants to privatize Social Security or Medicare.

So those who do not have a wealthy family to support them should starve? Can an 18 year old today get a job that will support him without any assistance?

Yes.

There is also the possibility of roomates.

How about two jobs?

and what about hte people using them temp while laid off?

I believe unemployment insurance lasts almost forever these days.

No it doesn't and companies can dither and block and all for weeks, even months!

Or ooops, some companies didn't put in at all and the person never knows until they apply and the company has misteriously changed owners, nobody knows, and ooo, the taxes, FICA, and workman's comp isn't paid either! But the pauycheck said it was being taken out!

Those kinds of frauds are a lot more important in the long run...

In Michigan is for 59 weeks now.

zyhtzc.jpg

Government welfare is now accepted;sad but true, the most conservative 70 year old out there will fight tooth and nail any politician that wants to privatize Social Security or Medicare.

Of course they would. wouldn't you if you were 70?
We are a very self centered species.

Of course they would. wouldn't you if you were 70?
We are a very self centered species.

Hey, I sell Medicare supplements for a living, just an observation of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back