Once and for all, to fix the Federal Government. . . .

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Foxfyre, Jun 21, 2011.

?

To fix the Federal Government, check all that apply:

1. Elect Democratic super majorities in Congress and Executive Branch.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Elect Republican super majorities in Congress and Executive Branch.

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Be sure that the President and Congress are of different parties.

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. The Pres, staff, Congress, fed employees live under same laws as all.

30 vote(s)
    53.6%
  5. Do away with Federal Government pensions and health plans – they can fund their own.

21 vote(s)
    37.5%
  6. Do away with all forms of Federal Government charity or benevolence of any kind.

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  7. Term limits

23 vote(s)
    41.1%
  8. A zero tolerance malfeasance policy.

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  9. None of the above.

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  10. Other (I'll elaborate in my post.)

13 vote(s)
    23.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,438
    . . . .give a good argument for why one, some, or all of these would apply, would be necessary, or would be a bad idea.

(Civility and respect for respectfully stated opinions requested please. We can set up a food fight or insult fest for the children elsewhere.)

1. Elect Democratic super majorities in Congress and Executive Branch.

2. Elect Republican super majorities in Congress and Executive Branch.

3. Be sure that Executive Office and Congressional Branch are of different parties.

4. The President, his staff, Congress, and federal employees must live under the same laws they pass for the rest of us.

5. Do away with federal government pensions and health plans – they can fund their own.

6. Do away with all forms of Federal Government charity or benevolence of any kind.

7. Term limits

8. A zero tolerance malfeasance policy. Misuse the people's money for your own or a friend's benefit and you are out of Congress and/or the federal government.

9. None of the above

10. Other (I'll elaborate in my post.)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  2. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,438
    In my opinion, implementing No. 5 and 6 would take care of most of it as we would again have public servants in government instead of career politicians.

3. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    #7 is good.

Need campaign finance reform bad.

4. Spoonman

Spoonman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,748
    Congress should not be able to enact laws that effect them differently from the general public. one law for all.

Congess should be held accountable to the same standards and ethical practices as the private sector. If i pulled an anthony weiner it wouldn't be recommended i step down, i'd be fired. Congessional practices of financially benefiting from decisions they make are called collusion or malfeasance in the public sector and are prosecutable offenses

5. Spoonman

Spoonman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,748
    yea, six months lol

6. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,438
    First, thanks to Newby for coming to the rescue here. I failed to set multiple choice options for the polls and he helped so I could fix that. (And also any other mod who looked in.)

Don't you guys pushing for campaign finance reform think fixing the other items (#4 through #8) would take care of campaign finance issues? If Congress was prohibited from benefitting ANYBODY unless they benefitted all equally, there wouldn't be much point in trying to buy a Congressman's vote.

And if they were unable to benefit themselves through their office by voting themselves bigger pensions, health plans, expense accounts, etc., the term limit problem would be remedied too. There wouldn't be any point to staying around for decades unless you were really good at your job and enjoyed doing it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194

I think we need to spell it out in no uncertain terms. I don't think we should have 3rd party ads, and I don't think campaign contributions should exceed some limit, say $5000. I'd prohibit direct contributions to a campaign, it all has to get filtered through an independent agency that verifies where the money came from (no foreign donations in our elections).

Not sure what else to do to correct the intensive lobbying that goes on, but the least we can do is shed some light on who gives how much to which candidate.

8. Wonky Pundit

Wonky Pundit USMB's Silent Snowden

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89
    All of which, sadly, is unconstitutional as of today. But I'd gladly support an amendment that does all of these things.

9. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,438
    My concern in trying to control lobbyists is the danger of whittling away at unalienable rights as expressed in the First Amendment:

But preventing Congress from benefitting any lobbyist or person or group represented by the lobbyist makes the issue moot. Nobody would be able to buy a Congressperson's vote.

On the list: "6. Do away with all forms of Federal Government charity or benevolence of any kind."

Implement that and the only reason a lobbyist would petition government is to get a really good law passed that would benefit everybody. There would be no purpose in funneling thousands or millions of dollars into a person's campaign when he is prevented by law from repaying you with any form of favors.

10. Wonky Pundit

Wonky Pundit USMB's Silent Snowden

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The way you've worded it doesn't result in the desired goal.

"ALL forms of charity and benevolence" could easily be argued that the government wouldn't be allowed to spend on anything but its own defense. I'm pretty sure that's not what you want, and at any rate is certainly not a tenable situation.