Once Again, Cops Ignore Warnings About Shooter

Millions of people in the US with histories of mental issues and only so many resources to investigate them. Cops rely on the public to report imminent threats of potential violence.

Millions of people in the US with histories of mental issues and only so many resources to investigate them. Cops rely on the public to report imminent threats of potential violence.

Well, it would help if they would put on their database those who are called in to them, or at least investigate the claim.

Well, it would help if they would put on their database those who are called in to them, or at least investigate the claim.

When I talk to an individual or run a license plate, I have a complete criminal history of the individual, any history of violent crime or family violence (which includes threats of violence). I can see if they have a history of self harm or threats of suicide. That tells me a lot about the person with whom I'm dealing and determines how I deal with them. But, what I do with that person depends on whether or not they are currently violating the law or if we have belief on reasonable grounds that they have or will violate the law.

In the story, the woman complains to a "former" police official. Sounds like she never pursued formal charges. What exactly should the police have done?

This is just a common thread in these shootings.

We have a mental health database and the cops are supposed to investigate warnings, but most of the time they do not follow through.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/29/accused-newsroom-shooters-stalking-victim-i-warned-cops/

"Cops" follow the laws and their dept. policies, when they don't, and get caught, they get fired.

There is no mental health data base which is comprehensive, and HIPAA protects individial privacy:

See: Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Rule

What Information is Protected

Protected Health Information. The Privacy Rule protects all "individually identifiable health information" held or transmitted by a covered entity or its business associate, in any form or media, whether electronic, paper, or oral. The Privacy Rule calls this information "protected health information (PHI)."12

“Individually identifiable health information” is information, including demographic data, that relates to:

• the individual’s past, present or future physical or mental health or condition,
  • the provision of health care to the individual, or
  • the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to the individual,
and that identifies the individual or for which there is a reasonable basis to believe it can be used to identify the individual.13 Individually identifiable health information includes many common identifiers (e.g., name, address, birth date, Social Security Number).

Point your finger at the NRA and The Congress for not supporting a comprehensive data base, to prevent mass murders by firearm.

It’s hard for many folks to grasp, or accept, but... Sometimes... Shit just happens...

And then it is a National average of about 20 minutes for the cops to arrive (do you concur fncceo). Certainly a compelling reason to take some personal responsibility in self preservation... As an aside, I'd love to hear any insight from fncceo (and the rest of y'all) on any anecdotal legality issues come across with single & 'double action only' personal protection pistols... I'm assuming that there are some judges that jump all over the discharge of single actions, no matter what the scenario.

Last edited:
And then it is a National average of about 20 minutes for the cops to arrive (do you concur fncceo). Certainly a compelling reason to take some personal responsibility in self preservation... As an aside, I'd love to hear any insight from fncceo (and the rest of y'all) on any anecdotal legality issues come across with single & 'double action only' personal protection revolvers... I'm assuming that there are some judges that jump all over the discharge of single actions, no matter what the scenario.

Why the focus on revolvers? If the firearm is legal in your state, you're good. Now, whether your employer allows you to be armed at work is another matter.

And then it is a National average of about 20 minutes for the cops to arrive (do you concur fncceo). Certainly a compelling reason to take some personal responsibility in self preservation... As an aside, I'd love to hear any insight from fncceo (and the rest of y'all) on any anecdotal legality issues come across with single & 'double action only' personal protection revolvers... I'm assuming that there are some judges that jump all over the discharge of single actions, no matter what the scenario.

Please provide evidence for your premise (avg. 20 minutes to respond) and context. .

And yet - Barrel stokers refuse to make mental and criminal BG checks universal or give cops more authority to separate kooks like this from their weapons even after an incredibly compelling report of stalking.

Why the focus on revolvers? If the firearm is legal in your state, you're good. Now, whether your employer allows you to be armed at work is another matter.
Becaus

U're right, I should have said pistols. What I'm getting at is the disparate take the legal system might have on double vs single action defensive shootings. TKS eflatminor

And yet - Barrel stokers refuse to make mental and criminal BG checks universal or give cops more authority to separate kooks like this from their weapons even after an incredibly compelling report of stalking.

Setting aside the fact this guy was never adjudicated mentally unfit, nor did he have a criminal record. Let's also set aside that, according to the link, a stalking charge was never filed with the police.

Yes, all that aside, what makes you think a lunatic is going to follow a rule that says he can't have a firearm. You think that will stop thugs and crazies from getting a gun? Really?

Becaus

U're right, I should have said pistols. What I'm getting at is the disparate take the legal system might have on double vs single action defensive shootings. TKS eflatminor

If the firearm is legal in your state, the law will not draw a different conclusion in a self defense situation. It's about how you act, now what weapon you use, from an old fashion single action revolver (where you have to pull back the hammer for each round in the cylinder) to a modern semiautomatic pistol with a detachable magazine.

Setting aside the fact this guy was never adjudicated mentally unfit, nor did he have a criminal record. Let's also set aside that, according to the link, a stalking charge was never filed with the police.

Yes, all that aside, what makes you think a lunatic is going to follow a rule that says he can't have a firearm. You think that will stop thugs and crazies from getting a gun? Really?

Becaus

If the firearm is legal in your state, the law will not draw a different conclusion in a self defense situation. It's about how you act, now what weapon you use, from an old fashion single action revolver (where you have to pull back the hammer for each round in the cylinder) to a modern semiautomatic pistol with a detachable magazine.
I've heard that the trigger pull has quite a bit to do with how far under the microscope courts tend to go on this issue. Again, not talking about generalized legality, Obviously they are all legal to carry, I'm focusing in on the "perceived trigger pull in a court of law"... (accidental trigger pull due to shaky hands etc w/ SA)

Last edited:
And then it is a National average of about 20 minutes for the cops to arrive (do you concur fncceo). Certainly a compelling reason to take some personal responsibility in self preservation... As an aside, I'd love to hear any insight from fncceo (and the rest of y'all) on any anecdotal legality issues come across with single & 'double action only' personal protection pistols... I'm assuming that there are some judges that jump all over the discharge of single actions, no matter what the scenario.

I'd say 20 mins is an optimistic number. Legally, I don't know if there's any difference between using an SA/DA revolver for protection vs using a SAP.

Forum List

Back