On the Westboro Baptist Church, Redemption and A Positive Story About Arguing on the Internet

No Pogtard, because it's easier than dissecting 40 minutes of video.

As for hanging associations, Westboro Baptist church could be hung and I wouldn't shed ary a tear.

Thanks, you just proved my point.

If your point was that you're a faggot and haven't watched the video yet, yet here you are, pestering me, then I agree.

If it occurs to you that in the time you've been trolling this thread with nothing to contribute, you could have watched ALL the videos, and yet you chose this course, then I agree.

Remove the log from your own eye before you start talking about the splinter in mine, boy.

Okay bitch, give us your dissertation on both videos within 5 paragraphs, naow!

No? STFU then. Yes, it's worthy of checking out, I'll be damned if your fucktarded self will dictate when I do, k?

You watch whatever you want, whenever you want, Bubbles. I'm just noting that you claimed not to have the time to watch videos, yet you spent that same time you don't have trolling this thread. That too was your choice.

Meanwhile I had stuff to do just as Lucy did. Guess which two of the three of us have lives. :itsok:

Classic douchebag attitude, thinking your time is more important than someone else's.

If you don't mind, it'd be great if you both could shut the fuck up.

If you don't want to watch the video or listen to the podcasts, that's cool. But if you want to flame, I would appreciate if you did it somewhere else.

I realize that I'm a little late to the party, but I just listened to a number of podcasts and videos featuring Megan Phelps-Roper. She's got quite a fascinating story.

I'll provide as much of a synopsis as I can - but if you've got some time, I highly recommend either her TED talk, which is about 15 minutes long, or her podcast interviews with Kevin Smith (about 2 hours) or Joe Rogan (3 hours).

She's the granddaughter of Fred Phelps, and was an active member of the Westboro Baptist Church for the first 27 years of her life.

From 2009 to 2012, when she left the church, she was the face of the church on social media. She ran the twitter accounts, engaged with people, and pushed the church's message of hatred to the outside world. Most of the responses she got were attacks, scorn and hatred - but her willingness to actually engage ended up spawning conversations with internet critics that lasted for years - which led in time to her exit from the church, and rejection of all of its doctrines.

Now she's married to one of her former twitter trolls.

It's rare that you hear a story like this about arguing on the internet. If you watch her TED talk, she makes a lot of arguments about how to interact with people that are particularly relevant to this board, as well as the political climate throughout the internet.

If you've got the time, here are the links:

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

I thought the Joe Rogan guy was unnecessarily confrontational. As if he were trying to goad his subject into regressing to her former state. Specifically in the police protection for First Amendment segment. She held her own though. The TED talk was far more useful. :thup:

I realize that I'm a little late to the party, but I just listened to a number of podcasts and videos featuring Megan Phelps-Roper. She's got quite a fascinating story.

I'll provide as much of a synopsis as I can - but if you've got some time, I highly recommend either her TED talk, which is about 15 minutes long, or her podcast interviews with Kevin Smith (about 2 hours) or Joe Rogan (3 hours).

She's the granddaughter of Fred Phelps, and was an active member of the Westboro Baptist Church for the first 27 years of her life.

From 2009 to 2012, when she left the church, she was the face of the church on social media. She ran the twitter accounts, engaged with people, and pushed the church's message of hatred to the outside world. Most of the responses she got were attacks, scorn and hatred - but her willingness to actually engage ended up spawning conversations with internet critics that lasted for years - which led in time to her exit from the church, and rejection of all of its doctrines.

It's rare that you hear a story like this about arguing on the internet. If you watch her TED talk, she makes a lot of arguments about how to interact with people that are particularly relevant to this board, as well as the political climate throughout the internet.

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

I thought the Joe Rogan guy was unnecessarily confrontational. As if he were trying to goad his subject into regressing to her former state. Specifically in the police protection for First Amendment segment. She held her own though. The TED talk was far more useful. :thup:

Rogan is Rogan, he's always like that. He defends his opinions, and he can be stubborn. He's a smart guy though, and I don't think he pushed her that hard.

Keep on mind, she's used to people pushing back against her opinions - that's the whole point of the story, I think. I don't think Rogan was rude or anything.

Thanks for posting that. i will take a look at it later on today.

It's rare that you hear a story like this about arguing on the internet. If you watch her TED talk, she makes a lot of

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

I haven't listed to the TED talk so correct me I'm wrong, but it seems to me that this phrase in the key to all of it --

"..which led in time to her exit from the church, and rejection of all of its doctrines.."

And "..arguments about how to interact with people that are particularly relevant to this board, as well as the political climate throughout the internet.."

That indicates to me that the TED talk is probably worth listening to.

Its because of the endlessly circular arguments that I don't post here much anymore. There are other boards that frankly draw a higher class of clientele, as it were. The biggest reason I don't come here as much is that I really don't like what I become.

When the Clean Debate Zone was added, I thought it actually might result in just that - clean debates. Instead, moderators simply move any any threads that included posts that break the rules. So, whats the point in having a CDZ
Are Internet message boards and social media are a microcosm of our divided and angry world? If a woman who was raised amid the filth of Westboro could rise above it to actually do good, then why can't the rest of us? We've seen the same thing with alt right, kkk, nazi, fascism, white supremacy cults. Every so often, we hear of another convert who is now working to spread peace and tolerance.

I had a point when I started writing this but have been interrupted a couple times and, well, there you are.

You won't be missed anymore than you missed calling out all the leftist trash that infests this board as much as the right.

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

I'm glad she escaped that disgusting cult.

The message of the Westboro church is correct. Because it does say in the Bible that God hates homo's and their lifestyle, and their destination is hell.

Although I disagree with their tactic of picketing of soldier's funerals. ..... :cool:

In our few interactions here, I've noticed that Doc falls way short of living up to the standards of internet discourse this lady advocates for.

In our few interactions here, I've noticed that Doc falls way short of living up to the standards of internet discourse this lady advocates for.

:lol:

Did you bother to actually listen to her before you took the opportunity to attack me? I'm guessing no.

If you did, I can't possibly see how you believe that she is "advocating" for a "standard".

She is telling her story - a fascinating one - not dictating standards for others to follow.

Did you bother to actually listen to her before you took the opportunity to attack me? I'm guessing no.

If you did, I can't possibly see how you believe that she is "advocating" for a "standard".

She is telling her story - a fascinating one - not dictating standards for others to follow.

I only watched the Ted talk because who's got time for 3 hour podcasts? In it, she lists four rules for engaging in difficult conversations.

Don't assume bad intent
Ask questions
Stay calm
Make the argument

It's hard for me not to assume bad intent on your part considering the way you decided to frame this topic as a lesson for lesser beings on how to have a debate.

Am I wrong?

I could dig up recent comments of yours expressing support for Antifa (who are explicitly dedicated to using violence to shut down discussion of ideas they do not like), which proves you are a hypocrite.

I only watched the Ted talk because who's got time for 3 hour podcasts? In it, she lists four rules for engaging in difficult conversations.

Don't assume bad intent
Ask questions
Stay calm
Make the argument

It's hard for me not to assume bad intent on your part considering the way you decided to frame this topic as a lesson for lesser beings on how to have a debate.

Am I wrong?

I could dig up recent comments of yours expressing support for Antifa (who are explicitly dedicated to using violence to shut down discussion of ideas they do not like), which proves you are a hypocrite.

Of course you're wrong - and in quite a few different ways.

First of all, I in no way "framed" this topic as a "lesson for lesser beings". The fact that you read it that way is a reflection of you, not me.

You are the only poster so far who took this thread as an attack.

Secondly, you appear to be arguing that you are failing to follow her "rules", not me. You are the one assuming bad intent, not me.

The point appears to have flown over your head.

As for whatever nonsense about antifa that you're trying to use to distract - that is not the slightest bit relevant to this thread, except as an indictcation of how far above your head the point flew.

She is not arguing for civility - she is arguing for comprehension.

First of all, I in no way "framed" this topic as a "lesson for lesser beings". The fact that you read it that way is a reflection of you, not me.

Secondly, you appear to be arguing that you are failing to follow her "rules", not me. You are the one assuming bad intent, not me.

As for whatever nonsense about antifa that you're trying to use to distract - that is not the slightest bit relevant to this thread, except as an indictcation of how far above your head the point flew.

You said: "she makes a lot of arguments about how to interact with people that are particularly relevant to this board" If that's not an "attack" on the membership of this forum, a "framing" of this topic as a lesson on how talk to one another online...then what is it? When it comes to having conversations about difficult topics, you're king smarm of condescension mountain. If you showed even the slightest bit of contrition for your own posting habits, then I wouldn't have needed to make a post to point out your hypocrisy.

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

Rogan is Rogan, he's always like that. He defends his opinions, and he can be stubborn. He's a smart guy though, and I don't think he pushed her that hard.

Keep on mind, she's used to people pushing back against her opinions - that's the whole point of the story, I think. I don't think Rogan was rude or anything.

I agree he wasn't rude -- more at crude. He doesn't appear that smart, or much of an interviewer, and his point, at least in that section, was severely flawed. I think she deserves better.

But enough about that, it's not a thread about Joe Rogan.

I would have liked to hear more about what became of her sister. I remember a few years ago when they left. Wiki says two of their brothers have left as well.

You said: "she makes a lot of arguments about how to interact with people that are particularly relevant to this board" If that's not an "attack" on the membership of this forum, a "framing" of this topic as a lesson on how talk to one another online...then what is it? When it comes to having conversations about difficult topics, you're king smarm of condescension mountain. If you showed even the slightest bit of contrition for your own posting habits, then I wouldn't have needed to make a post to point out your hypocrisy.

"Attack" is a negative. Doc didn't frame anything as a negative --- you plugged that in out of your own assumption.

You said: "she makes a lot of arguments about how to interact with people that are particularly relevant to this board" If that's not an "attack" on the membership of this forum, a "framing" of this topic as a lesson on how talk to one another online...then what is it?/

You're really stretching to find something to be outraged by, aren't you? My words were meant to be taken completely literally.

Whatever ulterior motives you've decided to assign to me are nothing more than figments of your imagination. I started this thread because I heard a podcast that I found particularly moving and interesting - not to attack or condescend to anyone.

When it comes to having conversations about difficult topics, you're king smarm of condescension mountain. If you showed even the slightest bit of contrition for your own posting habits, then I wouldn't have needed to make a post to point out your hypocrisy.

You didn't "need" to do anything - you chose to attempt to derail this thread by attacking me. You were not required to do so.

I didn't watch the linked video either --- you can find sections of it, of varying lengths, all over YouTube. The one I referred to about police protection and the First Amendment, for instance, was about 15-20 minutes. You can take as much of a bite as you like.

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

I agree he wasn't rude -- more at crude. He doesn't appear that smart, or much of an interviewer, and his point, at least in that section, was severely flawed. I think she deserves better.

But enough about that, it's not a thread about Joe Rogan.

I would have liked to hear more about what became of her sister. I remember a few years ago when they left. Wiki says two of their brothers have left as well.

I wondered about her sister as well - her name is Grace, you can google her.

According to her twitter feed, she's in Bangladesh, on the Myanmar border, helping Rohingya refugees.

I will listen in to the links later tonight. That is when I am more settled and able to sit quietly and actually hear what is being said. Daytime, things get too hectic around here. Thanks for the link.

Forum List

Back